Rutgers II Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

? what? 

He hit like 4 or 5 mid range shots vs. Purdue and I don't think the kid has taken a bad shot the past three games. Minnesota he did a couple of times. 

From 2/5/23 article from Adam Finkelstein published by PEEGS.

He's shooting 42% inside the arc which has a lot more to do with shot selection than finishing.  He's shooting 50% at the rim but only 22% of his total shots are from that range.  47.6 of his shots are coming from 2-point jumpers of which he's making 39%.  He did have a reputation coming out of HS as a good mid-range scorer, but questionable beyond the arc.

3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

From 2/5/23 article from Adam Finkelstein published by PEEGS.

He's shooting 42% inside the arc which has a lot more to do with shot selection than finishing.  He's shooting 50% at the rim but only 22% of his total shots are from that range.  47.6 of his shots are coming from 2-point jumpers of which he's making 39%.  He did have a reputation coming out of HS as a good mid-range scorer, but questionable beyond the arc.

He's wrong. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not only is this guy illuminating his relative lack of knowledge of the game of basketball, nobody that has anything to do with Rutgers should be talking smack about anyone. That program hasn't so much as won a major conference championship.  

37 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Yep.... I feel the ongoing Ron Harper thing is the catalyst to my post. I just saw that Rutgers post and it reminded me Ron Harper calling us "soft" and no one was afraid of IU. At the time, there was probably some truth to that, but man......"shut your mouth"!

I agree with you both, but the bottom line is that until we beat them, they are correct. The only way to shut them up is to beat them. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's wrong. 

Im jumping in.  

I want JHS being aggressive.  I don't mind him getting 10-12 shots a game. Didn't really mind the early launch from 24 ft out in the 1st few minutes of the game.  He hit those vs MSU at home and he was technically open and in rhythm.   

For a frosh, his shot selection isn't bad, but certainly not perfect.  Sure we would all love 100% of his shots being open jumpers.   For me and others, I think the Minnesota and Maryland games scar our memory.   Vs Minnesota, he took 1 really forced shot at the end of the game that was blocked or had no chance.  Then the blundered switching hands in the air runner that was so bizarre.   Iirc he missed a lot of jumpers he typically hits.  Against Maryland, again he looked good for the most part, then as the misses kept piling up, it was like he was trying harder rather than letting it come him.  I wouldn't say forcing but more like pressing.  But the Maryland game was ugly all around and the pressure and reffing did us and him no favors.  

He's really good, really smart.  We want him on the attack.  In fact I want all our guys on the attack.   

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im jumping in.  

I want JHS being aggressive.  I don't mind him getting 10-12 shots a game. Didn't really mind the early launch from 24 ft out in the 1st few minutes of the game.  He hit those vs MSU at home and he was technically open and in rhythm.   

For a frosh, his shot selection isn't bad, but certainly not perfect.  Sure we would all love 100% of his shots being open jumpers.   For me and others, I think the Minnesota and Maryland games scar our memory.   Vs Minnesota, he took 1 really forced shot at the end of the game that was blocked or had no chance.  Then the blundered switching hands in the air runner that was so bizarre.   Iirc he missed a lot of jumpers he typically hits.  Against Maryland, again he looked good for the most part, then as the misses kept piling up, it was like he was trying harder rather than letting it come him.  I wouldn't say forcing but more like pressing.  But the Maryland game was ugly all around and the pressure and reffing did us and him no favors.  

He's really good, really smart.  We want him on the attack.  In fact I want all our guys on the attack.   

I just don't understand why the Maryland is a scar or well either game is a scar, honestly. He shot good shots against Maryland. I don't know what else there is to say. 

Did he take a bad shot against Purdue? No. 

He struggled against Minny, the assistants sat him for a while. He was going to sit for a bit vs. Maryland, but couldn't because TG couldn't stay out of foul trouble. This is a big nothing burger and JHS addressed it in the post-game after Purdue. Tamar Bates is the only player on our team that (and it's been better recently) that shoots poor shots. We've seen the graph that shows we BY FAR get the best quality shots in the country... JHS is included in that. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im jumping in.  

I would much rather our guys go down swinging than holding back. Can't always play with reckless abandon, but keeping the pressure applied on them, rather than the other way around, is always beneficial.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just don't understand why the Maryland is a scar or well either game is a scar, honestly. He shot good shots against Maryland. lol I don't know what else there is to say. 

He struggled against Minny, the assistants sat him for a while. He was going to sit for a bit vs. Maryland, but couldn't because TG couldn't stay out of foul trouble. This is a big nothing burger and JHS addressed it in the post-game after Purdue. Tamar Bates is the only player on our team that (and it's been better recently) that shoots poor shots. We've seen the graph that shows we BY FAR get the best quality shots in the country... JHS is included in that. 

It's not complicated.  3-25.  

I'm not one of the one's overstating or harping on shot selection.  In 25 shots, maybe 4 were overly forced.  That's an acceptable percentage from your best perimeter option, in games were buckets were hard to come by.  

And yes, I don't recall one bad shot against Purdue.   That's huge growth from a freshman, in a huge game.  

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just don't understand why the Maryland is a scar or well either game is a scar, honestly. He shot good shots against Maryland. I don't know what else there is to say. 

Tamar's best shot was his pass to Banks for the dunk against Purdue.

That's not a knock against his shooting. He has a nice stroke, and there are many times he's hit well-timed 3s. But that non-shot/pass was PERFECT because he squared his shoulders and read the defense PERFECTLY. His head was up and he was in rhythm; able to adjust in a nano-second to turn a good shot into a better pass. If he can play with THAT poise and pace more frequently, he'll be a dangerous player.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I would much rather our guys go down swinging than holding back. Can't always play with reckless abandon, but keeping the pressure applied on them, rather than the other way around, is always beneficial.

I loved watching St Peter's last year.  Every dude, always attacking.  Especially beating Purdue and Kentucky. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's not complicated.  3-25.  

I'm not one of the one's overstating or harping on shot selection.  In 25 shots, maybe 4 were overly forced.  That's an acceptable percentage from your best perimeter option, in games were buckets were hard to come by.  

And yes, I don't recall one bad shot against Purdue.   That's huge growth from a freshman, in a huge game.  

The percentage doesn't tell me anything. I don't really see that we are "arguing" though lol... I don't see that we are saying anything different here. 

I don't think JHS, as a whole, has really struggled with shot selection. I definitely didn't think he did vs. Maryland. Everyone sees the game differently. Go Hoosiers. 

• Like 1

Just now, MoyeCowbell said:

Tamar's best shot was his pass to Banks for the dunk against Purdue.

That's not a knock against his shooting. He has a nice stroke, and there are many times he's hit well-timed 3s. But that non-shot/pass was PERFECT because he squared his shoulders and read the defense PERFECTLY. His head was up and he was in rhythm; able to adjust in a nano-second to turn a good shot into a better pass. If he can play with THAT poise and pace more frequently, he'll be a dangerous player.

Told someone else on another site, I almost fell out of chair when he made that pass lol... It was a great pass, you're right and a good job by Banks to put himself in that spot. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The percentage doesn't tell me anything. I don't really see that we are "arguing" though lol... I don't see that we are saying anything different here. 

I don't think JHS, as a whole, has really struggled with shot selection. I definitely didn't think he did vs. Maryland. Everyone sees the game differently. Go Hoosiers. 

I'm not arguing.  I'm the middle ground guy.  

A few forced shots are acceptable.   Almost all of us want him to continue to attack.  

Regardless of the stats (3-25), the more important thing is if JHS believes he can make the shot.

That's really all that matters.

It's a confidence thing. He isn't a reckless player with terrible form 'just trying to get his'. As long as he thinks he can hit any one of those shots -- and the next one -- then he's playing with the right mindset and I want him to keep shooting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not arguing.  I'm the middle ground guy.  

A few forced shots are acceptable.   Almost all of us want him to continue to attack.  

"arguing" wasn't the best term I could have used. I was just responding to a post that said he was struggling because of shot selection. Idk, that didn't add up to me. He will have more of a unique test this evening with all the size and length RU can use on him compared to other teams. 

• Like 1

This game is going to be huge moving forward. Rutgers is hanging their hat on their defense and deservingly so. Now it's our opportunity to see where we are as a team and where our defense really is. I hope we can finally put our foot down on the competition in this league. This game also plays huge in the BIGTEN standings. 

GO IU!

19 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Regardless of the stats (3-25), the more important thing is if JHS believes he can make the shot.

That's really all that matters.

It's a confidence thing. He isn't a reckless player with terrible form 'just trying to get his'. As long as he thinks he can hit any one of those shots -- and the next one -- then he's playing with the right mindset and I want him to keep shooting.

And sometimes the defense makes a really good play to force a bad shot or should I say, increase the difficulty.  And Minnesota played, I would guess, their best defensive game of the year and Maryland played us perfectly as well.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If I remember correctly, didn't he take a shot to the "junk" during that game that obviously affected him?

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And sometimes the defense makes a really good play to force a bad shot.  And Minnesota played, I would guess, their best defensive game of the year and Maryland played us perfectly as well.  

Even "good" shots can be contested.  Ask TJD.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

He's wrong. 

JHS has been great this year.  He's improved his most glaring weakness beyond the arc.  He does need to be more consistent, but he's getting there fast.  He is more likely than not to go to the NBA which would be a positive for CMW and the program.

But IMHO the stats say that he needs to go to the rim or dish more than pulling up.  I'm not saying his shot selection is bad, but just that he needs to tweak it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not only is this guy illuminating his relative lack of knowledge of the game of basketball, nobody that has anything to do with Rutgers should be talking smack about anyone. That program hasn't so much as won a major conference championship.  

And yet they kick our tails every time 

including Purdue in that one 

I wish Purdue was that tough & physical on defense 

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Indiana plays a style of basketball that is 1000% reliant on turning you over and getting baskets in transition. 

The first sentence in their statement was factually incorrect and that's when I stopped reading. How much of our defense have they watched? We rank 12th the BIG Ten at defensive turnover percentage.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1