Rutgers II Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Tuesday, February 7th 6:30 pm EST 

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: BTN

The Scarlett Knights come into SSAH at 16-7 (8-4, 2nd in Big Ten) on a 2 game winning streak. They are 2-3 on the road in conference, with one of those wins a 1 point upset of Purdue in West Lafayette. 

image.png.be03566eeefcf513505fff1e8b4a4a70.png

image.png.49f9a9a0f3e128876db47cc7cde3c1ea.png

A familiar group...Here's the box score from the last game against them back in December...

image.png.bbcdc53ceb779f6b78a1118766a0905d.png

JHS was sidelined with his back issue, but we did have XJ. We had our worst shooting percentage of the year (30%) and got killed on the boards. Trayce was still having back issues as well.

In the first game, Aundre Hyatt started in place of an injured Paul Mulcahy, bit Mulcahy did play in the game. He's their leader. Yesterday against Michigan State, he scored all 17 points of his points in the 2nd half to help them win against Michigan St at Madison Square Garden. He'll start, along with Cliff Omoyuri, who is the kind of long atheletic 5 that TJD sometimes has trouble against, Caleb McConnell, Cam Spencer, and probably Hyatt, who has averaged over 10 ppg in his last 4 off the bench, in place of Mawot Mag who, as @Hoosierfan1901 said yesterday, left the MSU game with a knee injury. His status for our game is unknown. That shortens an already short bench as the only other reserve beside Hyatt to get double digit minutes is freshman Derek Simpson, who had a couple of big 3s off the bench in the first game. Antwone Woolfolk, Greg Palmquist, and Dean Reiber also see spot minutes.

Rutgers is not a gifted offensive team. 9th in ORtg in the Big Ten, but 1st in DRtg. Not great from 3 (33%) and they will turn it over. Very tough minded, experienced bunch that isn't intimidated by road games. They've had our number in the past. Time for us to show the toughness we displayed against Purdue in this one...

Go Hoosiers!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 9

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We were not at full strength for that game in Rutgers. I see a revenge game coming. Smack those dudes around a little and make them dizzy with all the threes raining down. Cant’ stand Rutgers. 

So, you are saying you want IU to win? It's hard to tell because you were tip toeing around your feelings for Rutgers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don’t know what I’m gonna do with an early midweek game. 
Thanks, BTN. No 9:00ish start.

This is going to be a tough one. McConnell is a lock-down defender and will probably guard JHS. Omoruyi has really improved and is almost as shifty as TJD in the post. Spencer had an off shooting day yesterday and won’t expect him to repeat that. As was said, Mulcahy is a seasoned leader and seems to always make the smart play.

Also concerned that we’ll have a letdown after such an emotional win yesterday. CMW and staff are going to have to work hard to get these guys back to the level of intensity we saw v the Toiletmakers.

This is going to be a grinder, I think. May very well come down to the last possession 

• Like 2

Put the 1st game on while I was doing barn chores (yes, I have a TV in the Tack Room 🙂) and Pikiell was one of the first this year to occasionally press and change defenses. McConnell absolutely killed us on the boards (10) and we had 11 TOs in the first half. We're not going to play that poorly again... 

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

We were not at full strength for that game in Rutgers. I see a revenge game coming. Smack those dudes around a little and make them dizzy with all the threes raining down. Cant’ stand Rutgers. 

Ditto.  I dislike everything about them.  Purdue is always #1 on the sh** list and #2 generally rotates for me based on recent history.  Rutgers is there for me.  I want to see them embarassed.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I see this as the perfect game for is after Saturday. We are facing a team we have struggled with in recent years who TJD claimed “punked” is earlier in the season. It’s a game it should be easy for them to get focused for more so than say playing Minnesota. I really expect another solid performance and a win. 

Agree 100%

This may be the best team for us to play to avoid a letdown.

They have owned us. Our team knows it. It is almost exactly what a team needs to be able to quickly refocus.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I see this as the perfect game for is after Saturday. We are facing a team we have struggled with in recent years who TJD claimed “punked” is earlier in the season. It’s a game it should be easy for them to get focused for more so than say playing Minnesota. I really expect another solid performance and a win. 

I fully expect a “redemption” type attitude for this game. I want “another day at the office” type of game!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

RU fans are hoping for a massive letdown after a massive win over Purdue, but are nervous over the condition on Mawot Mag

They're almost as delusional as Illinois or Purdue fans...

image.png.5eb8cffe88bcc7fd70c5aab3da7e8a4c.png

Super Bowl?

Men's NCAA Basketball has a Super Bowl equivelent...

image.jpeg.e306f3c422a9cf6448f34f39e0eab47e.jpeg

And we have 5 of em...

Purdue+Illinois+Rutgers=image.png.3e3269687a2823bd8a7b4c462c5c996a.png

Greatness doesn't have an expiration date, fellas...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2