Big10 Unbalanced schedule

fasbjd

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Sure, but I'd say that was more injury related/body healing...and you unless you're Chuck Bednarik ("Google it!" Stephen Bardo would say) you only play one side of the ball...

You're absolutely right in the preparation comment... But I sure wish we had a weeks rest waiting for TJD... 

But, body healing in football still takes doubly (generally) as long as basketball. I mean, they'll play 5-7 games a weekend in AAU and 3-4 games on a Sunday, a lot of time with no real issues. 

For TJD and JHS... a week would have been massive. You're right. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

It’s not football 

if it’s such an advantage why don’t teams punt the BTT and rest up for NCAA?

They should. The worst scenario is to be the runner up in the BTT. The BTT only benefits teams on the bubble. The committee has admitted that it ends too late to impact seeding 

Edited by 13th&Jackson

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hahaha... I just realized. Purdue gets this whole week off leading up to our game. Cannot make this stuff up... unreal. 

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I asked @Stlboiler23 how they worked that out in another thread... 

And as I said on the other thread, our women's team has the same advantage of a week off prior to the Iowa game. It's just how it goes.

Frankly, I am not one to try to look for excuses to try to rationalize a perceived advantage/disadvantage. Our schedule was what it was. If we were good enough and healthy enough to win the games we lost, we would have. Complaining about another team's schedule is essentially taking your eye off what you can control, winning the games on your schedule. 

A tougher schedule will help prepare this team for the games that lie ahead, imo. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And as I said on the other thread, our women's team has the same advantage of a week off prior to the Iowa game. It's just how it goes.

Frankly, I am not one to try to look for excuses to try to rationalize a perceived advantage/disadvantage. Our schedule was what it was. If we were good enough and healthy enough to win the games we lost, we would have. Complaining about another team's schedule is essentially taking your eye off what you can control, winning the games on your schedule. 

A tougher schedule will help prepare this team for the games that lie ahead, imo. 

Oh it's not an excuse, at all. It's just fact that Purdue got absurdly lucky to have a week off to prepare for their biggest home game/game of the year. It's not really a debate on whether it's an advantage or not... it pretty clearly is. 

But, I am not part of the Indiana's team, I haven't taken my eyes off what we can control at all, I just don't need to be focused on what our team can control. I have no idea what the players are thinking/doing. 

And right. Indiana's women lucked out against Iowa. Iowa also played Indiana twice last year without a healthy M Holmes. 

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You can clearly play more basketball games in a short span than football games, so the comparisons between the sports is dumb. 

It's not really even a physical thing for me.... 

who's Purdue prepared for since Sunday? Indiana

Who's Indiana prepared for since Saturday? MSU.... that ain't equal. Oh well though. 

They just played…there are no secrets after 30 games 

earlier this year you guys said Purdue or UNC traveling 5 thousand miles and playing 4 games in less than a week wasn’t a factor (maybe UNC 💩)

rust vs rest 

If you played late Thursday and noon on Saturday….maybe 

Just now, Purdue7 said:

They just played…there are no secrets after 30 games 

earlier this year you guys said Purdue or UNC traveling 5 thousand miles and playing 4 games in less than a week wasn’t a factor (maybe UNC 💩)

rust vs rest 

If you played late Thursday and noon on Saturday….maybe 

Idk what to tell you. It's a big advantage for Purdue. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh it's not an excuse, at all. It's just fact that Purdue got absurdly lucky to have a week off to prepare for their biggest home game/game of the year. It's not really a debate on whether it's an advantage or not... it pretty clearly is. 

But, I am not part of the Indiana's team, I haven't taken my eyes off what we can control at all, I just don't need to be focused on what our team can control. I have no idea what the players are thinking/doing. 

And right. Indiana's women lucked out against Iowa. Iowa also played Indiana twice last year without a healthy M Holmes. 

Complaining or whining about the schedule is very Purdue-ish, if you ask me. A week v 4 days is really not that big of a deal. I would think that any competent coaching staff could put a game plan together in 4 days. Especially against a team we just played a few weeks back.

And FWIW, if we get to the championship game of the B1G tournament and have to play a first round game on Thursday, we'll have the exact same turn around time for preparation, game planning, rest, etc. Might be a good thing to have gone through it, especially when the first round opponent most likely have more rest.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Complaining or whining about the schedule is very Purdue-ish, if you ask me. A week v 4 days is really not that big of a deal. I would think that any competent coaching staff could put a game plan together in 4 days. Especially against a team we just played a few weeks back.

And FWIW, if we get to the championship game of the B1G tournament and have to play a first round game on Thursday, we'll have the exact same turn around time for preparation, game planning, rest, etc. Might be a good thing to have gone through it, especially when the first round opponent most likely have more rest.

Have we had players or coaches that are "whining" about the schedule?

Edited by btownqb

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You can clearly play more basketball games in a short span than football games, so the comparisons between the sports is dumb. 

It's not really even a physical thing for me.... 

Well based on the way NW plays defense I'd say football to basketball comparisons are needed now.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Nope, just people here.

How are they(the people here) relevant to "Complaining about another team's schedule is essentially taking your eye off what you can control, winning the games on your schedule. " ?

only thing I have mentioned is fact... Purdue has played 9 games against the bottom 5 in the conference. We've played 5. Purdue gets 6 days to prepare/rest for Indiana. Indiana gets 4 after a road game. There wasn't an excuse made. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Nope, just people here.

The thread topic is about unbalanced big ten schedules, and people are discussing the ways the schedule is unbalanced. I haven't seen anybody whining about it. There's no legitimate argument that it doesn't impact wins/losses and the standings. Like I said earlier, it's just the luck of the draw and it happens to be a bad draw for us this year. I don't see any issue pointing that out.

To your point, if we were an elite team, we'd overcome it. Unfortunately we are not an elite team...at least we aren't without XJ.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

We had 4 days to prepare for purdue to be fair lol 

We play tonight... so 3 days (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) at best as we play them on Saturday, and that's not counting any travel from East Lansing, or to West Lafayette...

Meanwhile, Purdue has been game planning for us since Monday with no travel involved... 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

We play tonight... so 3 days (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) at best as we play them on Saturday, and that's not counting any travel from East Lansing, or to West Lafayette...

Meanwhile, Purdue has been game planning for us since Monday with no travel involved... 

the game is Saturday night so we have most of the day Saturday 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Flight from EL to Bloomington is what, an hour? And we'll fly up to West Lafayette on Tuesday in 30 minutes?

I guess just because I watch a lot of NBA, but 3 days seems like plenty between games 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

the game is Saturday night so we have most of the day Saturday 

Don't teams usually do a walk through on game day? It's not like we're going to have a full scale practice hours before tip off... And as I said, figure in travel to and fro...

The bottom line is, Purdue is going through game planning probably as we speak... The word on playing any RMK teams was, you always wanted to get them on a quick turnaround, because if he had time to plan, you were in trouble...

Look, I get it... You think these are all "excuses." But margins in the Big 10 can be very thin. Beyond the game planning, the rest, particularly at this time of year, is an important component... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Flight from EL to Bloomington is what, an hour? And we'll fly up to West Lafayette on Tuesday in 30 minutes?

I guess just because I watch a lot of NBA, but 3 days seems like plenty between games 🤷‍♂️

Not the point...Purdue is getting an advantage not playing this week any way you slice it... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Don't teams usually do a walk through on game day? It's not like we're going to have a full scale practice hours before tip off... And as I said, figure in travel to and fro...

The bottom line is, Purdue is going through game planning probably as we speak... The word on playing any RMK teams was, you always wanted to get them on a quick turnaround, because if he had time to plan, you were in trouble...

Look, I get it... You think these are all "excuses." But margins in the Big 10 can be very thin. Beyond the game planning, the rest, particularly at this time of year, is an important component... 

Great points..  in betting you "get" 3pts for being at home.. I'd say that advantage for Purdue is more like 4pts, 4.5pts now. It what it is.. but our task is more difficult on Sat night, undoubtedly.