Michigan II Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Sunday, March 5th 4:30 pm EST 

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: CBS

Michigan has won 3 in a row, and 6 of their last 9 to get into the NCAA Tournament conversation. They do have a big game in Champaign on Thursday against the Fighting Illini that will shake up the BTT seeding race. As things stand today, if Michigan would lose, they'd be the 9 seed. If the win, they'd be the 4 seed. Wild season...

image.png.c89edc23d1bbc307a5cbbea980dacbc6.png

Box Score from our 62-61 win in Ann Arbor in February

image.png.90e8c183493d3b58600303fc43c8be52.png

image.png.e043033f6d9533241b9c843152256d42.png

image.png.bfcd46db45372048c010520d53eea303.png

I think Michigan has the most talent in the Big 10, but they're short on experince in the backcourt and don't know how to close out close games. Hunter Dickinson is always a problem, but sophomore Kobe Bufkin has been coming on late averaging 17 PPG and shooting 49% from 3 over his last 8 games. Jett Howard has been battling an ankle/foot injury and didn't go in their last game, a win at home over Wisconsin. Duke transfer Joey Baker has started in his place the last 2 games. Also Sophomore Will Tshetter has replaced Terrance Williams II in the starting lineup since we played them. Freshman PG Dug McDaniel rounds out the starting 5...Terrance Williams and Freshman big man Tarris Reed see double digit minutes off the bench, while Jace Howard has seen more action since his brother's injury.

The Wolverines are 7th in the Big 10 in ORtg, DRtg, and 3 point percentage. 

We won a close one in Ann Arbor, trailing most of the game, but we got 6 consecutive stops at the end and hit our FTs to pull it out...

I see another close one...Michigan has the talent to beat any team, but like most teams, struggle on the road (3-5 in Big 10 play)

Pulling it out at the end would be ok with me...Senior Night, so hopefully a raucous crowd can energize us to a win...

Go Hoosiers!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I'm very curious to see the first five minutes of this game.  Do we come out with a chip on our shoulder after the Iowa debacle, or do I have to sit through yet another slow start?  If it's the former, let's roll.  If it's the latter, I'm going to go through the roof.  There is no excuse, none, for not coming out and playing like their lives depend on it after the last game.  

• Like 7

Michigan will be playing for their tournament lives, we better come out ready.

It will be EXTREMELY disappointing if we have another lackluster showing.

Beat Michigan, win a game or two in the BTT and we at least have a shot at the 3 line still which would be huge for making a deep run IMO. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

X was jamming one handed in warmups of the Iowa game. Wonder why he wasn’t available for that game?

I noted this in the Iowa post game.  He looked  good.  As I said in that thread he must not be cleared otherwise that game would have been great garbage time for him with no pressure.  Could have gotten some rust off, tested his in game stamina, and maybe got some confidence.  I don’t expect him to be a game changer but he could be a key off the bench of both tournaments.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I noted this in the Iowa post game.  He looked  good.  As I said in that thread he must not be cleared otherwise that game would have been great garbage time for him with no pressure.  Could have gotten some rust off, tested his in game stamina, and maybe got some confidence.  I don’t expect him to be a game changer but he could be a key off the bench of both tournaments.

I think he'll be a game changer. Not necessarily the player he was before, at least right away, but we hardly even have a serviceable bench player on the perimeter right now, so hard to think anything he can give us won't be a massive upgrade. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Wild Turkey, now that brings back memories.  We'll, until about halfway through....

Nuthin wrong with chasin a Turkey around, just cant let it catch ya. I was station San Diego for awhile and went to a party with a bunch of Hoity Toity types, broke out the Turkey... lost half em in about 30 mins..they prolly still missing.😆

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3