Is TJD playing himself into a first round pick?

As the season has gone on, I think TJD has played himself into the bottom half of the first round. His athleticism and footwork and his passing have really been on showcase this season. I think his game translates to the modern NBA. While he doesn't have the outside shot, his game would be great coming off the bench for a contender.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

No, the NBA already knows what he is. He played his way into being a 2nd round pick. The "modern" NBA is your 5 being able to shoot the 3. Great college player, avg. pro.

Probably, somewhere in between….late 1st / early second round, and a solid pro career.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

3 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Probably, somewhere in between….late 1st / early second round, and a solid pro career.

He can certainly have a career similar to Cody Zeller, IMO.  Just making an NBA roster is a big deal.  And if you're fortunate enough to land in or find the right situation/franchise fit...then you can have a very long career.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

There are plenty of bigs that are strong NBA players that aren't shooting threes.

It helps, sure. But there are enough examples to say is isn't some prerequisite imo.

Agreed, the issue is a lot of those bigs that can’t shoot are 7 foot. TJD makes up for it a little bit with athleticism, but his height is what’s stopping him from being higher on draft boards.

• Like 1

Remember Draymon Green his last year at MSU?  Did everything well.  Now he's this utility guy that passes well and does a bunch of junk yard stuff.  If Trayce can get strong enough to hold his ground defensively and keep up with switches on the exterior, he will definitely carve out a long career.  He just keeps getting better.  I see no reason why he won't play in the NBA but teams are more likely to take flyers than a guy that is pretty polished and you know what you are getting for the most part.  But if Thomas Bryant can stick around this long, Trayce can too.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Agreed, the issue is a lot of those bigs that can’t shoot are 7 foot. TJD makes up for it a little bit with athleticism, but his height is what’s stopping him from being higher on draft boards.

Sort of, but plenty that aren't. Robert Williams is 6'9". Kevon Looney and Clint Capella are about the same. 

TJD is a much more skilled player then any of those guys. Williams and Capellla are more athletic probably. 

Lots of 5's that start on contending teams that can't shoot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Remember Draymon Green his last year at MSU?  Did everything well.  Now he's this utility guy that passes well and does a bunch of junk yard stuff.  If Trayce can get strong enough to hold his ground defensively and keep up with switches on the exterior, he will definitely carve out a long career.  He just keeps getting better.  I see no reason why he won't play in the NBA but teams are more likely to take flyers than a guy that is pretty polished and you know what you are getting for the most part.  But if Thomas Bryant can stick around this long, Trayce can too.  

This was my line of thinking as well. If he can get a bit stronger, he could have a Draymondish type of impact.

Yes.

Here's the thing. Currently, TJD is playing to his strengths because IU needs him to do so. Whether he can shoot from distance or not is irrelevant at this point, because he's proven he can impact the game in so many other ways. Right now his game is delivering what CMW needs so that this version of IU can be at its best. And while TJD's shooting isn't a factor, his rebounding, passing, spacing, shot-blocking, picking, dribbling, leadership, help-defense, and enthusiasm for the game all are.

Of course he will have to continue working on all of those things in the League, but he's proven that he can do that stuff, so his focus on shooting can be more specialized in a way. He's got a great overall basketball foundation.

Given his Pros v Cons, I absolutely would spend a late 1st round pick on him.

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Sort of, but plenty that aren't. Robert Williams is 6'9". Kevon Looney and Clint Capella are about the same. 

TJD is a much more skilled player then any of those guys. Williams and Capellla are more athletic probably. 

Those are all good comps. I’ll be honest, I didn’t realize those three were all picked in the 25-30 range. I had just assumed they were second round picks.

18 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I don't see how, as an NBA team, you can't see what he added this year with his dribbling and not imagine that he can add a perimeter shot.  FT also significantly better.  

Draymond is the picture perfect NBA comp.

He has the tools. He's a great kid. A once in a generation.

I wouldn't have taken him in the first round last year, but I would now. To my mind he's improved his touch around the rim (remember all the missed bunnies last year), and his ball handling/passing/decision making. I don't think he has to shoot from the outside, but he needs to convert at the rim and pass effectively. 

On 3/11/2023 at 9:47 AM, BGleas said:

I think Williams and Looney are solid comparisons but Capela is a 7’0 who’s a freak athlete so maybe a bit different than TJD. I think for TJD it’s going to be about finding the right fit. Williams and Looney don’t have to do much besides play defense/rebound/get easy buckets near the rim because they’re on teams with multiple superstars (Tatum, Curry, Brown, Thompson) and are always the 5th option offensively. Hopefully TJD can find an ideal situation like that IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think Williams and Looney are solid comparisons but Capela is a 7’0 who’s a freak athlete so maybe a bit different than TJD. I think for TJD it’s going to be about finding the right fit. Williams and Looney don’t have to do much besides play defense/rebound/get easy buckets near the rim because they’re on teams with multiple superstars (Tatum, Curry, Brown, Thompson) and are always the 5th option offensively. Hopefully TJD can find an ideal situation like that IMO. 

Capella is listed at 6'10', which means he's probably 6'9"ish. 

But there are more 5's that don't shoot. Jarrett Allen, Nic Claxton, Jacob Poeltl, Steven Adams, Mitchell Robinson, Zubac, Isiah Stewart, etc. Cody Zeller was an NBA starting 5 for like 6 years and couldn't shoot a lick. 

If you're athletic, protect the rim, can defend multiple positions, can screen/roll and can rim run and finish around the rim, you can play the 5 in the NBA. 

That essentially describes TJD perfectly. I'm not saying he'll be a starting NBA center, but he's going to be on a team and he's going to get a chance. Lack of shooting won't be an issue. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Capella is listed at 6'10', which means he's probably 6'9"ish. 

But there are more 5's that don't shoot. Jarrett Allen, Nic Claxton, Jacob Poeltl, Steven Adams, Mitchell Robinson, Zubac, Isiah Stewart, etc. Cody Zeller was an NBA starting 5 for like 6 years and couldn't shoot a lick. 

If you're athletic, protect the rim, can defend multiple positions, can screen/roll and can rim run and finish around the rim, you can play the 5 in the NBA. 

That essentially describes TJD perfectly. I'm not saying he'll be a starting NBA center, but he's going to be on a team and he's going to get a chance. Lack of shooting won't be an issue. 

The defend multiple positions part is to my mind the thing that could keep TJD out of the first round. I would still take him, but I can see that as a weakness that could cost him.