Offensive Rebounding Issues in February and March were well sort of offensive...

A couple things to note before XJ went down he was 3rd best defensive rebounder. I don't feel that Kopp, Galloway or JHS really stepped in to take up the defensive boards we lost when XJ went out. At the time he was averaging 3.5 defensive boards a game whereas Galloway and Kopp finished the season at 2.4 and 2.1 per game.

We got crushed (+6 or more) on the offensive boards for 7 games and 5 of which we won. 2x against Purdue, Michigan(Away), MSU(Away), Illinois at home (only game in January), Kent State and Miami. The difference Miami and MSU (away) had was they made 2nd chance shots and the others couldn't. 

From an offensive rebounding standpoint. Indiana was good protecting the defensive glass for all of November, December and only got crushed once in January and still won against Illinois. 

I sure the coaching staff made adjustments for this issue in February and March but it didn't appear to work. 

Maybe they choose the lesser of two evils which were giving up additional possessions to our opponents for a better offense? Having a better rebounding lineup of consisting of some combination of the three, not four, TJD, Malik, Geronimo and Race would have spelled disaster on the offense without Kopp or Galloway off the court. 

I don't know if anyone had thoughts about rectifying this or how the staff could have changed this season?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To many minutes for TJD.  Tired legs for 2 months straight.  Asked to much of him.  You could see it in his free throw shooting.  Race was hobbled most of Feb and March and although did well offensively at moments, never really rebounded like he used to.  No time for JG/Malik impacts the rebounding ability.  JHS and TG just didn't rebound well as guards.  We just didn't attach the boards like alot of teams do.  We watch alot of basketball and don't participate in basketball alot of the time.

Could also be due to the constant hedges, help defense and switching leaves guys in bad position to rebound, but this is just a random guesses and anyone with solid basketball knowledge could say i am wrong.  So I don't know.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

A couple things to note before XJ went down he was 3rd best defensive rebounder. I don't feel that Kopp, Galloway or JHS really stepped in to take up the defensive boards we lost when XJ went out. At the time he was averaging 3.5 defensive boards a game whereas Galloway and Kopp finished the season at 2.4 and 2.1 per game.

We got crushed (+6 or more) on the offensive boards for 7 games and 5 of which we won. 2x against Purdue, Michigan(Away), MSU(Away), Illinois at home (only game in January), Kent State and Miami. The difference Miami and MSU (away) had was they made 2nd chance shots and the others couldn't. 

From an offensive rebounding standpoint. Indiana was good protecting the defensive glass for all of November, December and only got crushed once in January and still won against Illinois. 

I sure the coaching staff made adjustments for this issue in February and March but it didn't appear to work. 

Maybe they choose the lesser of two evils which were giving up additional possessions to our opponents for a better offense? Having a better rebounding lineup of consisting of some combination of the three, not four, TJD, Malik, Geronimo and Race would have spelled disaster on the offense without Kopp or Galloway off the court. 

I don't know if anyone had thoughts about rectifying this or how the staff could have changed this season?

I think you are spot on. Geronimo is a great rebounder we could have used on the floor but for whatever reason wasn't getting those minutes.

Next year we will (hopefully) have XJ and I'm confident Banks will be above average. Ultimately, rebounding needs to be a strength for the primary big we grab from the portal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I think you are spot on. Geronimo is a great rebounder we could have used on the floor but for whatever reason wasn't getting those minutes.

Next year we will (hopefully) have XJ and I'm confident Banks will be above average. Ultimately, rebounding needs to be a strength for the primary big we grab from the portal.

We definitely need an addition at the 4 spot, no doubt. But with that said, I think our biggest issue rebounding wasn't the bigs, we need to get more length and athleticism at the wings and guard spots. 

That's what Miami exposed. We didn't have rebounders at those spots and that's what killed us.

XJ goes a long way to solving that at the PG spot. Hopefully the portal will go a long way to solving that, and hopefully development. 

If Banks can develop into a regular contributor that we can count on, he adds a long, athletic rebounder at either the 4 or the wing. CJ Gunn has a lot of holes in his game to fill, but iirc he rebounded well in his limited time, etc.

The real point I'm trying to make is that the rebounding issue was way more about our guards and wings not rebounding due to a lack of length and athleticism in those spots. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

We definitely need an addition at the 4 spot, no doubt. But with that said, I think our biggest issue rebounding wasn't the bigs, we need to get more length and athleticism at the wings and guard spots. 

That's what Miami exposed. We didn't have rebounders at those spots and that's what killed us.

XJ goes a long way to solving that at the PG spot. Hopefully the portal will go a long way to solving that, and hopefully development. 

If Banks can develop into a regular contributor that we can count on, he adds a long, athletic rebounder at either the 4 or the wing. CJ Gunn has a lot of holes in his game to fill, but iirc he rebounded well in his limited time, etc.

The real point I'm trying to make is that the rebounding issue was way more about our guards and wings not rebounding due to a lack of length and athleticism in those spots. 

Agree 100%. I mentioned the rebounding big for next year as we will need to replace Trayce and Race. Banks will help on the wing. I trust Woody will be addressing this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agreed…most teams sent 4 to the rim to rebound….but also their wings and guards were quicker to the ball on long misses.

To go along with what you are saying…when your all American center is also having to rim protect because your guards are getting beat often he is out of position to rebound often times. 

All that said Trayce and Race did an awful job checking their man against Miami…really poor job.

• Like 2

Agree with all of this, certainly didn't get enough from MK, TG and JHS, and Trayce and Race did not block out well, for sure, but I think it goes further. Miami was supposedly one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in the ACC and yet they killed us.  To me, the Miami coaching staff must have seen something that they felt they could, and did exploit.  This brings up another coaching point, I read somewhere that Laranaga made a game plan switch at the last minute to double Trayce with a wing, rather than the 4-man (Miller), so they effectively had three men in the lane against Trayce. While the players certainly deserve some criticism, it seems to me maybe we were out coached. Of course, as I say all the time, I'm not now nor have I ever been a coach, so what do I know ?

• Like 1

Multiple guys did not do enough on the glass. I called out Tamar several times for being a spectator when shots go up. At his size he can do more, but I can say the same for Miller. Race's injury didn't help. His rebounding fell off the table compared to the prior season.

During the Miami game it seemed a combination of low effort, lack of fundamentals in blocking out, but also just a lack of speed and athleticism. Whatever the reasons, it is clear the team needs to address rebounding going forward.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Multiple guys did not do enough on the glass. I called out Tamar several times for being a spectator when shots go up. At his size he can do more, but I can say the same for Miller. Race's injury didn't help. His rebounding fell off the table compared to the prior season.

During the Miami game it seemed a combination of low effort, lack of fundamentals in blocking out, but also just a lack of speed and athleticism. Whatever the reasons, it is clear the team needs to address rebounding going forward.  

And I think you see the difference when, other flaws aside, Geronimo or Banks are in the game...

Don't know what TJD's vertical is, but it's up there... Race and and Miller combined are probably lower

• Like 1

I just had a thought and it's a pretty good idea.  During the offseason set up a text alert on the guys' phone.  Whenever the alert comes in no matter where they are they block somebody out and jump and tap the nearest object.  Should be fun at the grocery store or restaurant.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I just had a thought and it's a pretty good idea.  During the offseason set up a text alert on the guys' phone.  Whenever the alert comes in no matter where they are they block somebody out and jump and tap the nearest object.  Should be fun at the grocery store or restaurant.  

…or the TSA security line.

• Haha 1