IU - NIL

Danomatic

If there’s another thread for this somewhere… mods feel free to delete. I feel like this directly impacts recruiting both HS and portal athletes alike. 

I have questions:

1. Does anyone have any clue how much any of our guys are making? I’ve seen where TJD has made north of $750k, but not any breakdowns on him, or anyone else for that matter. 

2. Does Adidas pay any college athletes currently, because I’ve heard that they’re going to be involved with the NIL. I just don’t know when, or if they already are.

3. I always see a list by Forbes(among other sites) ranking IUBB as one of the most wealthy and lucrative programs in the country. I read an article from ESPN(I know..) before the NIL was established, stating that this would kill the small/mid major programs and separate the blue bloods(including Indiana) from the rest of the P5 programs. I guess we’re not seeing the benefits from this yet? 

Perhaps I’m still a little pessimistic about it all… and still a purest from a college ball perspective, but I guess I’m just trying to understand where we stand as far as what we can offer from an NIL standpoint, that schools outside of UNC, Duke, KU, UCLA, UK etc.? 

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I would guess there is quite a disparity.  I can see the number you listed for TJD, but I can't see any other of the players approaching that, at least this past season.  

Leal paid for his sisters college. A lot of cash for sitting at the end of the bench. All the players have merch. on websites. The campus stores all sell their merch. A lot of opportunity to make NIL money at IU, even for #13.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Danomatic said:

1. Does anyone have any clue how much any of our guys are making? I’ve seen where TJD has made north of $750k, but not any breakdowns on him, or anyone else for that matter. 

IU NIL Valuations  

How they calculate 

2. Does Adidas pay any college athletes currently, because I’ve heard that they’re going to be involved with the NIL. I just don’t know when, or if they already are.

Yes TJD and JHS have Adidas deals

3. I always see a list by Forbes(among other sites) ranking IUBB as one of the most wealthy and lucrative programs in the country. I read an article from ESPN(I know..) before the NIL was established, stating that this would kill the small/mid major programs and separate the blue bloods(including Indiana) from the rest of the P5 programs. I guess we’re not seeing the benefits from this yet? 

I think that's a good assessment. Too new to really gauge, but our kids seem to be doing all right. 

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

IU NIL Valuations  

How they calculate 

Yes TJD and JHS have Adidas deals

I think that's a good assessment. Too new to really gauge, but our kids seem to be doing all right. 

I find it interesting that someone from the women’s basketball team is in the top five and it’s not Mackenzie Holmes or Grace Berger

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I find it interesting that someone from the women’s basketball team is in the top five and it’s not Mackenzie Holmes or Grace Berger

Wait, what? They are the big stars. I just thought, “I bet it’s Sydney Parrish.” And yep, it’s her. That’s okay, b/c she is a baller, but she is NOT Grace or Mackenzie level baller at all. She is blond though. SMH. 

38 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

It's unfortunate but not unexpected on the women's side. 

It was exactly what I expected. 

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Wait, what? They are the big stars. I just thought, “I bet it’s Sydney Parrish.” And yep, it’s her. That’s okay, b/c she is a baller, but she is NOT Grace or Mackenzie level baller at all. She is blond though. SMH. 

The wife also likes her long eyelashes....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I think she probably gets a lot of her money from so it media

On 3/25/2023 at 6:36 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

I mean, in a vacuum, I'm happy for her - if the options are "no IU women in top 5" or "attractive and still really good IU woman in top 5" I want them to get the bag, it just feels slimy.

She has 330,000+ social media followers.  TJD had less than 200,000.  She has posted a few bikini pics and that helps probably but I went and looked her up really quick and at least on Instagram she isn't putting those types of things out there often.  She isn't the Miami twins.

When it comes to the social media aspect, pretty girls who show the goods are usually going to out perform guys and girls who aren't as attractive and don't.  She also is or was dating an NBA player and has two college fan bases that got to know her which would spread her footprint online.

ETA:  Compare the number of followers for the ladies to the men.

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/womens-nil-100/

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/

Edited by IUCrazy2

I just realized something and had to go confirm it but Nigel packs deal is 2 years 800,000 and Trayce's nil valuation is $457,000.  

Trayce and Jalen move on, that means IU has major big dog money to play ball on this market.  

Less hand wringing in fear and judging of Pack and Miami and more like 50 Cent walking in the club in 2003.  Our fan base should be on edge like it's about to be our birthday.  I can't remember who said it but it has been said that IU basketball going forward will be a major player in the NIL market.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I just realized something and had to go confirm it but Nigel packs deal is 2 years 800,000 and Trayce's nil valuation is $457,000.  

Trayce and Jalen move on, that means IU has major big dog money to play ball on this market.  

Less hand wringing in fear and judging of Pack and Miami and more like 50 Cent walking in the club in 2003.  Our fan base should be on edge like it's about to be our birthday.  I can't remember who said it but it has been said that IU basketball going forward will be a major player in the NIL market.  

His NIL valuation was $900k, that is showing it dropped by almost half for some reason.

• Like 1

A couple of things about NIL...

People like John Ruiz aren't going to throw money away. They expect a return on their investment. It's no mistake they got rich to begin with.

The NIL market will eventually even out, as all financial things normally do. The laws of supply and demand are going to apply.

I think eventually the shoe companies will be the driver, just like they are in the pros. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A couple of things about NIL...

People like John Ruiz aren't going to throw money away. They expect a return on their investment. It's no mistake they got rich to begin with.

The NIL market will eventually even out, as all financial things normally do. The laws of supply and demand are going to apply.

I think eventually the shoe companies will be the driver, just like they are in the pros. 

Right.  If I'm wealthy and want to see a banner, I lay out a strategic plan over a three year window to bring in dudes, build a straight up squad and give it a shot.  This is all brand new.  I can see this guy bowing out and being bored with it after a few years.  How they are funneling some of this money into non profits, that will either be phased out by the government or continue in a lighter capacity.   What Ruiz is blatantly doing, isn't a lot different than Trayce and Jalen as "brand ambassadors."

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Right.  If I'm wealthy and want to see a banner, I lay out a strategic plan over a three year window to bring in dudes, build a straight up squad and give it a shot.  This is all brand new.  I can see this guy bowing out and being bored with it after a few years.  How they are funneling some of this money into non profits, that will either be phased out by the government or continue in a lighter capacity.   What Ruiz is blatantly doing, isn't a lot different than Trayce and Jalen as "brand ambassadors."

Good article on John Ruiz and NIL

"Ruiz held a webinar on the topic of NIL on Thursday, during which he said the thing many have been speculating about for months: donors are going to want a return on investment, and that could eventually lead to a smaller market than what we see now for NIL deals. According to SI’s Ross Dellenger, Ruiz said he “may scale back” on his NIL investments.

“I have to get a bang for the buck,” he said."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good article on John Ruiz and NIL

"Ruiz held a webinar on the topic of NIL on Thursday, during which he said the thing many have been speculating about for months: donors are going to want a return on investment, and that could eventually lead to a smaller market than what we see now for NIL deals. According to SI’s Ross Dellenger, Ruiz said he “may scale back” on his NIL investments.

“I have to get a bang for the buck,” he said."

Exactly.   At this point in time, it's a hobby with his blow money.  

Addias, Nike, and Under Armour are investing in their actual product on the floor.  

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, we offered Brad Stevens $7 million a year. We were able to line that money up and the people in charge thought that would be a worthwhile investment of that money - and they were probably right. If a school can put together that kind of money for a coach, why would they not (especially since we couldn't get that coach) spend half that on a coach and the other half on players? No one thinks that the donor money that leads to big coaches is going to dry up over time. Why would it dry up for players? Directing donor money to these collectives, or whatever they end up being called, is the logical, best use of money. It doesn't need to be new money beyond what was there before - the money is there already, there are just new options for programs to spend it.