Transfers with IU Interest

1 hour ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

As of a few days ago, there have not been any back channel discussions coming from IU's end.. I can tell you with confidence that Essegian would transfer to IU if he was told he as wanted. He is happy at Wisc, but IU has always been his dream school. This same discussion will occur next off season and the one after as well. I know some don't think he is good enough, but I disagree. First team All B1G Freshman. 12ppg, 40% from 3, 90% from FT. 

Connor is certainly good enough.  He would start at IU, as he did the second half of the season for UW. 

Why would IU not want someone this good, with only upside ahead for the next 3 years?

We need starting guards who can score.  Connor is that.  He also brings terrific energy and fun to the game.  He just loves the game.  

• Like 6

Just now, Madison22 said:

Connor is certainly good enough.  He would start at IU, as he did the second half of the season for UW. 

Why would IU not want someone this good, with only upside ahead for the next 3 years?

We need starting guards who can score.  Connor is that.  He also brings terrific energy and fun to the game.  He just loves the game.  

Because we already have two wings in his class, imo, would be the simplest answer. 

2 hours ago, CC_Hoosier said:

Backup to Shedrick just in case?

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Most likely 

As Handlogten is a freshmen, couldn't he come here to develop a year and then take over for Shedrick the following year? Maybe even redshirt? Otherwise, we are back to the portal for a big next year to replace Shedrick. Would still have Malik and Sparks but I like the idea of a developmental big. Not sure that is a role Handlogten is looking for but works for me! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

in the current system, why worry about that?  With so many players jumping in and out of the portal, I'm not sure why keeping classes even would be a factor.

Why worry about getting CE when we have better options, though? 

But, Madison asked why IU wouldn't pursue CE... I can't think of a reason, outside of already having two wings+the ability to get better wings in the portal... would be the reason we aren't. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

As Handlogten is a freshmen, couldn't he come here to develop a year and then take over for Shedrick the following year? Maybe even redshirt? Otherwise, we are back to the portal for a big next year to replace Shedrick. Would still have Malik and Sparks but I like the idea of a developmental big. Not sure that is a role Handlogten is looking for but works for me! 

In theory, but I imagine the staff is putting more of a priority on adding a 2024 signee.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why worry about getting CE when we have better options, though? 

But, Madison asked why IU wouldn't pursue CE... I can't think of a reason, outside of already having two wings+the ability to get better wings in the portal... would be the reason we aren't. 

What is a wing?  That's a 3, isn't it?  For years, we've had 6'7" guys who shoot 27% from three and 65% free throws who tried to be IU wings (and failed).  Some people called Jordan Geronimo a wing.  There were others. 

Connor can play both point and shooting guard.  6'4" with a lot of bounce.  Hits nearly 90% free throws.  He was my top choice for the portal, if he entered.  He's much better than either freshman guard we have coming next year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

What is a wing?  That's a 3, isn't it?  For years, we've had 6'7" guys who shoot 27% from three and 65% free throws who tried to be IU wings (and failed).  Some people called Jordan Geronimo a wing.  There were others. 

Connor can play both point and shooting guard.  6'4" with a lot of bounce.  Hits nearly 90% free throws.  He was my top choice for the portal, if he entered.  He's much better than either freshman guard we have coming next year. 

A wing is a 2/3. Conner can't play the point, man. But ok. I certainly didn't call JG a wing. Who are the 6'7 guys that shoot 27% from 3? Smith? Smith should have been a 4 the whole time. 

The kid isn't even in the portal. I mean, we only get 13 schollies. It doesn't appear Conner was a priority or an option. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I totally agree with your assessment.  I also like his toughness and rebounding.  I am sure the staff does too.   If I had to speculate, I think they are focused on leaving schollies open for 2024 and 2025 as opposed to going for a 3 year guy.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

A wing is a 2/3. Conner can't play the point, man. But ok. I certainly didn't call JG a wing. Who are the 6'7 guys that shoot 27% from 3? Smith? Smith should have been a 4 the whole time. 

The kid isn't even in the portal. I mean, we only get 13 schollies. 

Didn’t someone say we have 34 next year?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2