Transfers with IU Interest

27 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Because we zeroed in instead of a wide net on some guys with a bunch of options and struck out.

Win some, lose some.  I also think that the league we play in has a reputation that would make it unattractive for wings with a choice.  Fair or not, perception is reality.

I don't discount the B10 style of play impact at all, but it's not something we (basketball staff) can't change - like many things in life, you find a way to deal with it.

The "small net" theory was also mentioned on that podcast.  Also seems like a contributing factor.

Edited by Zuckerkorn

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I don't discount the B10 style of play impact at all, but it's not something we (basketball staff) can't change - like many things in life, you find a way to deal with it.

The "small net" theory was also mentioned on that podcast.  Also seems like a contributing factor.

Things have changed so much the past few years that it is hard to get worked up over losing like a Ledlum.  Kansas State cobbled a team together at the last minute last summer and ended up in the Elite 8.  They did that with a bunch of guys we would have been fretting over in June.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not arguing Univesities aren’t massively mis-managed state run organizations. Most govt run/state supported is horribly inefficient and mismanaged. I bet it would be a total mess at first…but if they decided to run it like a business then they would bring in much better people to run the ship and tighten things up and I suspect could be a very successful endeavor. As is they have little incentive because of the never ending govt subsides in the form of grants and student aid makes them basically fail proof because they will just lobby for more money and we all know the incestious relationship between academia and politics.

My dad was a CFO for a small university in Indiana…

he was a corporate guy for decades and at the end of career at 55 he gave 13 years to his Alma mater to dig them out of the red, into the black, built a ton of stuff and put the university in the best financial spot they’d ever been in.

he retired.

Next CFO came in who’s a University background type person within 3 years they’re a mess again financially.

His conclusion the university people just have a stupid financial mindset. They completely buy and spend anything they want whenever they want to with zero business or responsible mindset. They just burn thru money left and right. No regard for reason at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I thought about that a little the day Ledlum committed to Tennesee...We can show 50 hours of playing through Trayce, but our lack of modern day wing play makes tape on that important point basically nonexistent

Then why we loose Knecht too? JHS projected lottery wasn't enough? 
I agree with another post that the AC podcast is a weak theory.

to those mad, these kids are spoiled, etc. you have that right. (Even if I would say it is the bloated coach salaries and growing endowments that are the true BS in this situation) Where I get frustrated is seeing people say “we are the best, we have the best facilities, are NIL is top notch, etc.” when it is not true. Those same fans typically then blame the staff because “how can they not sell IU, it is easy” - uh, no. 

Tenn. also has the top NIL and their state laws make it even easier to push that envelope. This came down to NIL and overall athlete perks. My opinion and obviously many disagree but trying to share facts to back up my point. 

for those that say they don’t want guys like that. Then be patient that the staff can and will find the guys that have different reasons and needs to be here. Ware is one such guy. He saw the glamour of Oregon. It sucked for him. For him, Woody is what he wanted and needed. There are more guys like that but know we have to find them and be patient as we strike out on a few that want different things we can’t offer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I'm halfway through listening to the latest Assembly Call podcast and they've done a very good job of analyzing our portal performance and current roster needs.  No sugar-coating and no doom & gloom, just a measured take on where we sit at this time.

One point that was raised was interesting: regarding recruiting wing players, we can't really show them video or evidence of how they would be used - only a vision of how a new system or style of play is intended.  Additionally, competing coaches can point to this and use it against us.  It's kind of a chicken and the egg situation.  I'm paraphrasing heavily BTW.

I watched that on Thursday night

@IUCrazy2 and @dgambill, the whole point is that the B1G just signed a $1 BILLION tv deal and schools will be receiving almost $100 million a year. The university sits on a $3.5 BILLION endowment. All the while they are still increasing tuition at a rate faster than inflation. 

The revenue basketball and football generate not only fund other sports programs, but also are used to build non-sport related facilities. The reason for this influx of money is because you, I and every fan on this forum funds college athletics in some form or another. Every shirt we buy. Every time we turn on a game. Every ticket we buy. Or if we want to donate to a collective then we do. If too much money is spilling into college athletics then we need to look in the mirror. BUT I refuse to accept any notion that all this money has to go directly to the universities via the NCAA when they can’t financially manage their way out of a paper bag and the players can’t accept anything (via their NIL), when THEY are the product. If we don't’ like how it changes the game then too bad. Individual rights come before a fan’s right to be entertained. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.tribstar.com/indiana/sports/todd-aaron-golden-column-fear-and-loathing-for-indiana-and-the-transfer-portal/article_1eb60512-b6bc-5f44-9775-bd7775b9c800.html

Indiana ranked 352nd among 363 Division I teams in 3-point attempts in 2023. Indiana coach Mike Woodson stressed in March it was a one-year, Trayce Jackson-Davis-related thing to be so paint dominant, but context isn’t a concept that is valued in the portal by 20-something college basketball players on the make.

Are potential shooters being turned off by the Hoosiers’ lack of 3-point volume? Unknowable, but it wouldn’t be surprising.

Are rival coaches competing directly with Indiana for players pointing out the Hoosiers’ low volume 3-point attempts in some old-fashioned negative recruiting? Also unknowable, but (laughs out loud) are you serious?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

@IUCrazy2 and @dgambill, the whole point is that the B1G just signed a $1 BILLION tv deal and schools will be receiving almost $100 million a year. The university sits on a $3.5 BILLION endowment. All the while they are still increasing tuition at a rate faster than inflation. 

The revenue basketball and football generate not only fund other sports programs, but also are used to build non-sport related facilities. The reason for this influx of money is because you, I and every fan on this forum funds college athletics in some form or another. Every shirt we buy. Every time we turn on a game. Every ticket we buy. Or if we want to donate to a collective then we do. If too much money is spilling into college athletics then we need to look in the mirror. BUT I refuse to accept any notion that all this money has to go directly to the universities via the NCAA when they can’t financially manage their way out of a paper bag and the players can’t accept anything (via their NIL), when THEY are the product. If we don't’ like how it changes the game then too bad. Individual rights come before a fan’s right to be entertained. 

Make them employees then, shut down the collectives that are nothing more than money laundering that wouldn't be allowed for anything else, and then let the market actually go.

Ohio State made $200 million and plowed all that money back into athletics.  I am not saying the players cannot make money, have at it.  I am saying that the professional teams that have become "college" football and basketball should be divorced from the schools and lose their tax exempt status.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I'm halfway through listening to the latest Assembly Call podcast and they've done a very good job of analyzing our portal performance and current roster needs.  No sugar-coating and no doom & gloom, just a measured take on where we sit at this time.

One point that was raised was interesting: regarding recruiting wing players, we can't really show them video or evidence of how they would be used - only a vision of how a new system or style of play is intended.  Additionally, competing coaches can point to this and use it against us.  It's kind of a chicken and the egg situation.  I'm paraphrasing heavily BTW.

As I said in this thread the other day. All we ran was the pick and roll with JHS and TJD last season. The first 2 signings in the portal were BIGS. What gives wings the confidence a new offense is coming.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

For Pete's sake.

We have an NIL thread open. We have a thread about facilities and what recruits are looking for.

THIS THREAD IS TO DISCUSS TRANSFERS CONNECTED TO IU IN ANY WAY!

Gonna start just deleting posts.

Ok, if this was at me again I am sorry. Feel free to delete. I keep seeing post after post discussing why Ledlum etc was lost, spoiled kids, NIL, etc. I am just responding. 

I do think it is hard as these really do intertwine so much. People are having a hard time keeping each conversation separate. Maybe there should be a catch all thread instead of a NIL thread, transfer thread, facilities thread, transfers to IU connection thread, players we lost in portal thread, etc. it seems like this thread is where most want to discuss each nuance at once. 

18 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

For Pete's sake.

We have an NIL thread open. We have a thread about facilities and what recruits are looking for.

THIS THREAD IS TO DISCUSS TRANSFERS CONNECTED TO IU IN ANY WAY!

Gonna start just deleting posts.

I think that talk will pop back up again but right now there are zero names connected with Indiana so what's the big deal?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

Ok, if this was at me again I am sorry. Feel free to delete. I keep seeing post after post discussing why Ledlum etc was lost, spoiled kids, NIL, etc. I am just responding. 

I do think it is hard as these really do intertwine so much. People are having a hard time keeping each conversation separate. Maybe there should be a catch all thread instead of a NIL thread, transfer thread, facilities thread, transfers to IU connection thread, players we lost in portal thread, etc. it seems like this thread is where most want to discuss each nuance at once. 

Not to mention, what "players with IU interest" are there to discuss right now?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think that talk will pop back up again but right now there are zero names connected with Indiana so what's the big deal?

The big deal is this thread is designed for people that want to read if there is any news on the transfer front.

Having to scroll through 4 pages of 3 different conversations just to learn the answer is "no", is silly.

Again, some off topic will happen. But when it just goes and goes, it's time to go to a new thread and let this one be what it is meant to be 

It's also polite to keep a thread as the original poster intended.   :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

The big deal is this thread is designed for people that want to read if there is any news on the transfer front.

Having to scroll through 4 pages of 3 different conversations just to learn the answer is "no", is silly.

Again, some off topic will happen. But when it just goes and goes, it's time to go to a new thread and let this one be what it is meant to be 

It's also polite to keep a thread as the original poster intended.   :)

I thought that is what the portal update thread is for.

As frustrating as it might be, I'd wager that most threads are littered with unrelated comments. Heck, just look at the next thread down about J. Newton, lol.

Sorry, now we're OT discussing OT comments 😄

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's my thing. Barnes makes Painter look like he plays fast. I won't get into the other stuff this thread has or is.....but sorry. UT is a great campus, pretty,etc....but in no frickin way is even close to the hoops of IU and or our facilities, fans, players living arrangements, exposure,etc....stop with the UT nonsense. 

I say this as someone who has an Uncle who is a UT football season ticket holder for 31 years. His text last night was who cares about hoops. That's UT. 

Nobody at Arkansas or UT cares about hoops. Back in the early to mid 2000s I used to travel to and through Knoxville for work and made several acquaintances with UT people. Women’s hoops was the only basketball those people cared about and they still had Philip Fulmer as their football coach.

Same thing with Arkansas. I vacation down in the Ozarks for a few weeks every August and it is heavy Arkansas land down there in several areas. Fans at both those schools would flat tell you they’d shut down their basketball programs if it meant having an elite football team every year. 

Fans at both schools respect having good basketball teams, especially when their football teams struggle (UT may have found something w Heupel), but at the end of the day the basketball support at those schools doesn’t hold a candle to the support at a place like IU. You’ll never see a UT or Ark basketball player get an NIL deal like TJD. Hell out 13th scholarship player Anthony Leal is making more than many of their starters. 

At the end of the day, recruiting comes down to selling a vision. I believe both Musselman and Barnes are getting it done over our current staff and the results certainly don’t lie. You can use facilities, style of play, scenery, etc as excuses all you want, but at the end of the day it simply comes down to selling a vision.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

Called that one few days back. Not wanting credit but those who keep downplaying social media - this was obvious with who he followed this week. 

I think this is definitely a case where IU backed away.  After Ware and Sparks committed, absolutely not a needed piece.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1