Transfers with IU Interest

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It’s surprising that we haven’t seen any  obvious benefit from the development of JHS this season. You’d think a lot of wing players would have wanted some of that action. 

My theory is that there are a boat load more of the Hunter Dickenson "how much $$$ will you guarantee me" types, than the "I want the team to win" types out there. And Woody has said many times that if you want to come to IU for the $$$ as your primary consideration, keep looking. Financial success will come with team success.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DWB said:

My theory is that there are a boat load more of the Hunter Dickenson "how much $$$ will you guarantee me" types, than the "I want the team to win" types out there. And Woody has said many times that if you want to come to IU for the $$$ as your primary consideration, keep looking. Financial success will come with team success.

I’m thinking of guys learning to run a pick and roll and playing their way into the draft

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It’s surprising that we haven’t seen any  obvious benefit from the development of JHS this season. You’d think a lot of wing players would have wanted some of that action. 

And I'm just guessing here. I think you'll see that wing problem answered either Friday...or shortly there after. I hope it's the prior but if not there are at least 4-5 elite guys who can score still either in portal or in NBA draft camp next week who might get feedback like hey...you want to be in the league. Go talk to Coach Woodson.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cthomas said:

If this goes bad and we have to roll with who we have, they might surprise us and everything works out fine.

Miami, Florida Atlantic, UConn, and SDSU made up the F4 this year. Who really knows anymore what happens with a team. I know our 2002 guys didn't start gelling until the Illinois throttle at home. Just never know.

To keep it on point though. CJ Gunn was a prolific high school scorer. Banks showed flashes. We know Ware has the potential. Sparks does. Malik didn't play at Montverde because their food line was better. Trey is as solid as a guy as we could want. Of course Xavier brings the all gas no brakes. There is a solid foundation.

If we add MM it's awesome. No denying that. If we don't? Maybe Dingle or Smith....someone will want to jump in. It's all good in Hoosier Land. We have a staff that is getting us into the right neighborhoods. That's all I've ever asked...since the early 90's.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, DWB said:

Ive been holding off saying anything, but.

We as fans have always wondered what WE did wrong, why didn't THIS kid pick us, blah blah blah... There's a really good chance that we have a leader now that has standards and the history in the game that he gets to set specific standards, and cull anyone that doesn't meet his standards. There are plenty of these "misses" that could have been Woody saying, move on, it's a the fit that I am looking for. I'm ok with that.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

This I agree with

not sure they can win the big ten out right. But will be fun to watch and grow as team.  Never know com late March. Maybe win 3 or more games

Question will be…win 3 in a row in NCAA tournament or NIT. I’d like to hope we can continue momentum in the program but at the moment it’s definitely in question we will have the fire power to do that.

37 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I've been holding off saying anything, but.

We as fans have always wondered what WE did wrong, why didn't THIS kid pick us, blah blah blah... There's a really good chance that we have a leader now that has standards and the history in the game that he gets to set specific standards, and cull anyone that doesn't meet his standards. There are plenty of these "misses" that could have been Woody saying, move on, it's a the fit that I am looking for. I'm ok with that.

I would not be at all surprised if IU moved on from Caleb Love after the initial conversation.  I would also guess that the decision to not reach out to Hunter Dickinson was as much IU's as it was Hunter Dickinson.  There are some players, regardless of talent, that simply don't fit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 94hoosier said:

This I agree with

not sure they can win the big ten out right. But will be fun to watch and grow as team.  Never know com late March. Maybe win 3 or more games

No offense, but I think you guys are nuts thinking we can do big things with the roster as is. We don’t have that guy on the wing that can get his own shot from anywhere on the floor or light it up from three consistently, which is exactly what we’ve lacked in past years. And TJD is gone. We’re less talented now than we were last year IMO. We’ll have more athleticism as a group from our rim protectors and get X back, but as I mentioned before, we need a knockdown shooting athletic wing if we want to keep moving the needle forward. JMO of course. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

No offense, but I think you guys are nuts thinking we can do big things with the roster as is. We don’t have that guy on the wing that can get his own shot from anywhere on the floor or light it up from three consistently, which is exactly what we’ve lacked in past years. And TJD is gone. We’re less talented now than we were last year IMO. We’ll have more athleticism as a group from our rim protectors and get X back, but as I mentioned before, we need a knockdown shooting athletic wing if we want to keep moving the needle forward. JMO of course. 

We do need a scorer on the perimeter. But that could be a transfer guard. Adding a scorer to go with Johnson on the perimeter and the front court we have certainly has the ability to be competitive

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah TJD covered so many deficiencies on both ends that will be exposed with the current roster 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I totally get where you are coming from. I think we have a low floor and a highish ceiling with the roster as it currently is constructed, but I would think we are more likely to be in the middle or toward the floor of that if we don't add a 3-level scorer who can go get his own shot. 

Like of course Gunn or Banks could develop into that, or we could overcome not having that because Ware and Malik are a top 5 front court and X is a top 5 PG, but that is a lot of "ifs" to reach our ceiling and it likely wouldn't all go favorably for us. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 94hoosier said:

We do need a scorer on the perimeter. But that could be a transfer guard. Adding a scorer to go with Johnson on the perimeter and the front court we have certainly has the ability to be competitive

Yeah, MM and Dingle, and my opinion changes quite a bit. 

• Like 2