X Officially Back

Agree with others, there was never really a doubt on this. The staff knew. 

With that said, I almost view XJ as part of the transfer class, in terms of us getting a point guard we didn't really plan on having. 

This is a win, and even a bit of a recruiting win in terms of getting XJ to come back. He easily could have moved on from college basketball or transfered with most of his guys leaving. 

To me, at this point our class is:

XJ

Cupps

Newton

Ware

Sparks

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

With that said, I almost view XJ as part of the transfer class, in terms of us getting a point guard we didn't really plan on having. 

But imagine getting a transfer that sat on the bench next to your coaching staff for 30 games last season. Every game he was sitting next to Woody, Walsh, Rosemond and Hunter. I have to believe he learned a lot watching 30 games last season.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is a win, and even a bit of a recruiting win in terms of getting XJ to come back. He easily could have moved on from college basketball or transfered with most of his guys leaving. 

To me, at this point our class is:

XJ

Cupps

Newton

Ware

Sparks

Pretty Good class and as TJD kept saying two years ago ‘we’re not done yet!’

• Like 4

Just now, SawatchHoosier said:

But imagine getting a transfer that sat on the bench next to your coaching staff for 30 games last season. Every game he was sitting next to Woody, Walsh, Rosemond and Hunter. I have to believe he learned a lot watching 30 games last season.

Yep! I can't think of a better pg we could have gotten from the portal, especially when you factor in the elements you mentioned. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SawatchHoosier said:

100%! It's a big deal. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

He always seemed engaged on the bench

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Great news and have 3 starters with XJ, Reneau and Ware and need to fill the other two spots from the portal or hope for some player development from last year's players.

I know you don't think Galloway should start, but he's going to...

I understand your rationale, but he's got Woody's confidence, and I expect another leap in his play... 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I know you don't think Galloway should start, but he's going to...

I understand your rationale, but he's got Woody's confidence, and I expect another leap in his play... 

I know he probably will but for me for IU to be it's best you need players better than Galloway on the starting lineup. Also with how hard he plays he would be better in less time

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That would be a mistake. If I’m XJ, I’m thinking I need to score 25 ppg. That won’t go well. 

I'm not sure why you think XJ would think that...XJ's job will be to run the team, lead, and play lockdown D... 

XJ and Galloway would probably be the best defensive back court in the Big 10. Trey shot 46% from 3 last year, and, as Woody is fond of saying, "does the dirty work you need to win."

I'm not sure why some of you think Galloway isn't a good player. He is... And I expect he'll be even better this coming year... 

Not everyone on a basketball floor is out there to score a ton of points... 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure why you think XJ would think that...XJ's job will be to run the team, lead, and play lockdown D... 

XJ and Galloway would probably be the best defensive back court in the Big 10. Trey shot 46% from 3 last year, and, as Woody is fond of saying, "does the dirty work you need to win."

I'm not sure why some of you think Galloway isn't a good player. He is... And I expect he'll be even better this coming year... 

Who ever said he wasn't a good play. Nothing wrong being a top 6than and a lot of players made a great living being a 6th man. Also all his 3's are wide open 3's and he needs plenty of room to get his shot off. Don't remember very many pull up jumpers because it was either a open 3 or taking the ball all the way to the basket. Like I have said Galloway as a starter will get you 20-11 and losing in the first or 2nd round.  If you want more then you need an upgrade 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Who ever said he wasn't a good play. Nothing wrong being a top 6than and a lot of players made a great living being a 6th man. Also all his 3's are wide open 3's and he needs plenty of room to get his shot off. Don't remember very many pull up jumpers because it was either a open 3 or taking the ball all the way to the basket. Like I have said Galloway as a starter will get you 20-11 and losing in the first or 2nd round.  If you want more then you need an upgrade 

I compare Galloway to Steve Eyl and Eyl actually contributed more as a reserve than when he started.  It would remind.me of the 87 team if Eyl and Hilman had to start instead of getting Smart and Garrett 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Difference of opinion I suppose... But I can't see a scenario where Galloway doesn't start... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Returning PPG: 

Galloway. 6.7

Reneau.    6.1

Ware   6.6

Gunn 2.0

Banks 2.0

Sparks 13.3

Leal 0.2

That’s 37 points, but some will add scoring with more playing time. I really like Gallo as a player, but he played 28 mpg last year and averaged 6.7. Just don’t see him making a huge leap in scoring. 

The current roster puts a lot of pressure on XJ to score. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Difference of opinion I suppose... But I can't see a scenario where Galloway doesn't start... 

You are probably right but I don't think that is the best thing for IU.  If we don't upgrade over the 2-3 position from last year we won't be as good as last year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Agree and love Galloway.  Great player.  Even think he can be a starter next to a get buckets wing.