2023 Mackenzie Mgbako COMMITS TO INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Sounds like his HS coach has St Johns and Kansas above IU

I didn’t read it that way but I am sure some of those quotes were before this weekend. Doubtful they spoke to the HS coach on Sunday. He also didn’t even say much. 

St Johns is Nike right? Don’t see how they fit. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Is Kansas anymore featured or on TV than us? I really don't think so.

To your point, I think we offer a bit of everything, sans being close to home. He's seemingly going to get a lot of money anywhere he goes of the four because of Adidas, not sure there is any big lean there.

He's going to get 30+ minutes per game anywhere except for maybe Kansas. His shots would likely be a little lower at IU and especially Kansas than they would at SJU or UL, but I don't know that his importance would. KD averages a few less shots per game when he is on a title contender as opposed to OKC or Brooklyn, but I don't think he was more important on those two teams. 

Kansas is the safest bet to win big, but IU with him is a pretty dang good bet on that too.

The x-factor is going to be the relationships anywhere, but we probably are the best total package when you isolate out that (none of us can really know much about the relationships at all four schools). 

Actually I think he gets just as many minutes at Kansas because they are selling him on Grady Dicks minutes. He was a hybrid type too. This one is going to be difficult to see. I think they are family type people and I think IU featured that aspect from the sound of it. 

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Sounds like his HS coach has St Johns and Kansas above IU

I sure hope this doesn't end up like a couple targets, a few years back, that seemed to be an IU lean that we ended up losing out on. It came out that we were actually the third or four choice when they committed elsewhere. 

• Like 1

For some reason I am getting the vibe of UL on this one. I think they can offer him a lot in NOL but more importantly the opportunity to showcase his skills more than IU and KU. I feel like the most important part for him is being the man and getting the lime light. If it was about being on TV and winning he would have just stayed at Duke. From this article I could see St. Johns as well.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

I didn’t read it that way but I am sure some of those quotes were before this weekend. Doubtful they spoke to the HS coach on Sunday. He also didn’t even say much. 

St Johns is Nike right? Don’t see how they fit. 

yea, unless it's just me, i can really never get anything out of a high school coach's quote about how the player sees this or that.  It all seems pretty vanilla to me.  nobody wants to give anything away, everyone gets a trophy, everything is great, and the world is made of marshmallows. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

For some reason I am getting the vibe of UL on this one. I think they can offer him a lot in NOL but more importantly the opportunity to showcase his skills more than IU and KU. I feel like the most important part for him is being the man and getting the lime light. If it was about being on TV and winning he would have just stayed at Duke. From this article I could see St. Johns as well.

I feel like they'd showcase his weaknesses more than strengths. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think anyone is just saying it's about being on TV and winning, but doing those things while also playing a big role seems like a big differentiator in who he is looking at now and what might have happened at Duke. Plus the most important relationship he had at Duke left.... 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I don't think anyone is just saying it's about being on TV and winning, but doing those things while also playing a big role seems like a big differentiator in who he is looking at now and what might have happened at Duke. Plus the most important relationship he had at Duke left.... 

And he is now at UL

4 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

yea, unless it's just me, i can really never get anything out of a high school coach's quote about how the player sees this or that.  It all seems pretty vanilla to me.  nobody wants to give anything away, everyone gets a trophy, everything is great, and the world is made of marshmallows. 

I think there is a lot to question about how much a high school coach really knows, too.

Not to say high school coaches never know what is going on, but I think it's silly to assume they always are part of the inner circle on these decisions too. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

....Again, I'm sort of getting that Keion Brooks, Darius Garland recruitment feeling. Not them as players, but more because we all thought IU was in their top 2. JMO. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....Again, I'm sort of getting that Keion Brooks, Darius Garland recruitment feeling. Not them as players, but solely when we thought they were heavy leans to IU, at least we all thought IU was in their top 2. JMO. 

Same. I don't know if it's just PTSD, or what. I have no information at all. But I have the same feeling.

Hoping.to be wrong for sure.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....Again, I'm sort of getting that Keion Brooks, Darius Garland recruitment feeling. Not them as players, but solely when we thought they were heavy leans to IU, at least we all thought IU was in their top 2. JMO. 

i dont know if anyone has stated that he is an IU lean. In fact i think most believe he is not and are just pointing out the bias opinions on why he should come to IU. Maybe i was just drunk all weekend and misinterpreted everything lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think there is a lot to question about how much a high school coach really knows, too.

Not to say high school coaches never know what is going on, but I think it's silly to assume they always are part of the inner circle on these decisions too. 

Sillier then what a dude on Twitter named Ant Wright thinks? Or a dude called Trilly Donovan?

Point is fans are likely going defending positive news and be skeptical of anything else. 

How about we just say that we have a 25% chance of landing him? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

i dont know if anyone has stated that he is an IU lean. In fact i think most believe he is not and are just pointing out the bias opinions on why he should come to IU. Maybe i was just drunk all weekend and misinterpreted everything lol.

As far as I can tell, Kansas folks think he is a Kansas lean 🤯

Indiana folks think he had a great visit but no one has really said he is a lean.

I just don't think anyone knows a ton about how he is leaning one way or another, which is somehow more unnerving for a lot of folks than when we do know stuff. I think we're in a good spot with him, doesn't mean we'll get him. We get our share of guys, we miss on guys. That is true of every school. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I didn't mean MM was an IU lean, Garland and Brooks both seemed or it appeared to have IU in their top two. Others were saying they had them both as IU leans. But, speaking for myself and maybe many others on here,  after that IU visit, IU seemed to be as least in the top two with Kansas. 

• Like 1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Sillier then what a dude on Twitter named Ant Wright thinks? Or a dude called Trilly Donovan?

Point is fans are likely going defending positive news and be skeptical of anything else. 

How about we just say that we have a 25% chance of landing him? 

I'd put a high school coach in the same category as those type of accounts - sometimes they hear stuff and are a good barometer, sometimes it's just guesswork. It's just really hard to say which is which from the outside looking in. 

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

He must have a very strong connection to former Duke asst. coach and now, new Louisville asst. coach.

It’s possible he’s visiting out of respect for Smith…but obviously Payne is not K. As others have alluded to, lets see if he even makes this trip.

• Like 2

Taking my crimson colored glasses off if I was advising a kid on a recruitment that told 4 schools he was taking visits there then I would want the kid to take all 4 visits fwiw. Then make a well informed decision after seeing all the options. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd put a high school coach in the same category as those type of accounts - sometimes they hear stuff and are a good barometer, sometimes it's just guesswork. It's just really hard to say which is which from the outside looking in. 

Really? Somebody who has coached MM. Knows how he likes to play and game situations he's comfortable in? Somebody who personally knows the kid and personally knows the family? 

We're talking twitter dudes who are getting their info 2nd, 3rd, possibly 4th hand vs. his coach?

But we're getting into the weeds of who is a better barometer. The point is, we as fans, are apt to giving more credence to the news that we like.....and discounting news that we don't like. 

I honestly think that MM doesn't even know where he wants to go....so trying to find tea leaves to read is just going to result in frustration. 

25% chance.