2023 Mackenzie Mgbako COMMITS TO INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!

6 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Payne was a 10 year bench coach under Calipari that sent almost 50 guys to the NBA. I don't think his camp is worried about Mgabko's ability to get to the NBA with Payne at the helm. Really the only way Mgabko isn't a first round pick next year is if he gets injured, he's that talented. Louisville is likely selling MM on the idea that they went 4-28 last year because they didn't have a player of MM's caliber on the roster. MM instantly becomes the face of that Louisville program and likely their best player next year. He'll get the usage and whatever shots he wants. Add all that in with his familiarity towards Nolan Smith and it's the likely landing spot. 

It's not completely apples to apples, but couldn't the same be said of Ware at Oregon prior to last year? Meaning, there are many factors that go into the trajectory/performance/success of a player, and nothing is completely set in stone. Even the desired/projected fit still needs to be worked through in real time... sometimes its harmonious, other times it isn't.

• Like 1

Just now, MoyeCowbell said:

It's not completely apples to apples, but couldn't the same be said of Ware at Oregon prior to last year? Meaning, there are many factors that go into the trajectory/performance/success of a player, and nothing is completely set in stone. Even the desired/projected fit still needs to be worked through in real time... sometimes its harmonious, other times it isn't.

Ware was buried on the depth chart behind two other 5* centers and still would have likely been first round pick on potential alone had he declared as he was in just about every mock draft prior to announcing his intention to stay in college. I don't see Mgabko getting buried on the depth chart at Louisville and aside from a catastrophic injury, should be a first round pick on potential alone given the nature of how the NBA draft works. 

Still say things like this will eventually bring an end to college sports. It is coming to a point where I care less and less about the game. It has happened to me with the NBA where the last 15 years I rarely watch games besides the Pacers. I have probably watched a total of a half hour of this year's playoffs.

54 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Right which is why I said it could potentially play a part in a situation where one school has a clear advantage over the other...but we're talking about Indiana, Louisville, and Kansas here. All three are top 10 programs of all-time. All three have top of the line facilities and amenities  and all-three can handsomely offer lucrative NIL packages. But, as it appears, there's one school where this particular recruit has a well established relationship with a current staffer that extends much further than the 24-48 hour visits with staff to some of these other schools. 

If and when Mgabko ultimately chooses Louisville you'll know the reason why; Nolan Smith. 

Yeah, that one relationship bolted when he could too.  That could play both ways.

We may get the kid and we may not, but in the interim there are cases that can be made for every school including Indiana.  We don't know what his personal criteria really are so everyone is just kind of soeculating.

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

Still say things like this will eventually bring an end to college sports. It is coming to a point where I care less and less about the game. It has happened to me with the NBA where the last 15 years I rarely watch games besides the Pacers. I have probably watched a total of a half hour of this year's playoffs.

i'm at the same point with the NBA as I was with the "WNBA" as soon as it became a thing.  NEXT.  Can't watch it, for a slew of reasons. 

• Like 1

So on BTB the story seems to be that Mgbako said he was cancelling the UL visit yesterday morning before leaving Bloomington, but now is a heavy UL lean a day later because his agent said so (which was what I took away from the BTB thread). I'm sorry, but I just don't find that credible. If the agent is driving the process, then they never would have said they were cancelling the last visit. I just can't believe things would flip that quickly, it doesn't make sense.

Now it's certainly possible that UL has always been in the driver's seat. But the way the series of events is being presented makes no sense.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why is this any different than any other recruitment, ever? 

4 schools- probably 4 visists. Duking it out. 

We NEVER knew what went on behind the scenes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

So on BTB the story seems to be that Mgbako said he was cancelling the UL visit yesterday morning before leaving Bloomington, but now is a heavy UL lean a day later because his agent said so (which was what I took away from the BTB thread). I'm sorry, but I just don't find that credible. If the agent is driving the process, then they never would have said they were cancelling the last visit. I just can't believe things would flip that quickly, it doesn't make sense.

Now it's certainly possible that UL has always been in the driver's seat. But the way the series of events is being presented makes no sense.

👏 It's 👏 just 👏 a 👏 message 👏 board 👏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Why is this any different than any other recruitment, ever? 

4 schools- probably 4 visists. Duking it out. 

We NEVER knew what went on behind the scenes. 

Well I don't ever remember a high school kid being brokered by an agent and that agent telling him where to go. If that story is true in anyway.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I don't ever remember a high kid being brokered by an agent and that agent telling him where to go. If that story is true in anyway.

5 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

replace agent with dad, or AAU coach, or family friend.......

And this probably happens a lot more than we think. Caleb Swanigan wanted to play at California, his guardian objected, so he committed to MSU instead. But the guardian wanted him at Purdue, so that's where he went. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I don't ever remember a high school kid being brokered by an agent and that agent telling him where to go. If that story is true in anyway.

Hmm.. I think that's a little naïve. Parents/guardians have been filling that role for decades. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

And this probably happens a lot more than we think. Caleb Swanigan wanted to play at California, his guardian objected, so he committed to MSU instead. But the guardian wanted him at Purdue, so that's where he went. 

idk where @ledies22 post went, but I 100% agree. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

How exactly do you define the "end of college sports"?  Specifically, I mean.  It sounds like it might be your personal definition just as you refer to not having an interest in the NBA.  But you do watch the Pacers, so you're somewhat engaged.  Right?  Just not as much.   😊

Edited by jv1972iu

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hmm.. I think that's a little naïve. Parents/guardians have been filling that role for decades. 

I am just saying that as a few years ago high school and college layers weren't allowed to have agents. I don't mind it if it was mom and dad wanting the kid to go to a certain school but an agent just doesn't seem right 

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am just saying that as a few years ago high school and college layers weren't allowed to have agents. I don't mind it if it was mom and dad wanting the kid to go to a certain school but an agent just doesn't seem right 

I could argue the other way. I was just playing devil's advocate. Just fix the block/charge rule and I'll quit complaining! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

How exactly do you define the "end of college sports"?  Specifically, I mean.

More to do with it being less popular and losing a lot of viewers of the game. I assume they will still play but it will be more in the line of college baseball. College baseball is more of a niche sport where a lot of people don't really pay attention than it.  I know it seems it is becoming more popular but it still isn't what college basketball and football has been.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I could argue the other way. I was just playing devil's advocate. Just fix the block/charge rule and I'll quit complaining! 

I just think there has to be changes with the NIL and the portal. If the money was coming from actual NIL stuff that would be fine but having rich people donate you collectives isn't NIL. Also NIL isn't supposed to be part of the recruiting process but we know that is not happening.

I just wish they would.let all the kids go straight to the pros and let college basketball be about college student athletes. I wouldn't care if the top 50 kids in each class skips college and go pro.