2023 Mackenzie Mgbako COMMITS TO INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Ā 

I get what you guys are saying but really, do you think that past history is relevant to an 18 year old. I think @IUCrazy2is closer to on point, in that in his lifetime, MM has seen Kansas go deep in the tournament multiple times, and maybe saw us (if he was paying attention 10 years ago) get to the Sweet 16. Dredging up our history--not sure that will appeal to a current recruit so much. And, unfortunately, if he does a Google search for dirty college basketball programs, we come up with a more recent occurrence of having our program blown up due to improprieties.Ā 

For sure, there are 2 things that happened at Indiana that took us from the top of the mountain down to the bottom.Ā  First, the landscape shifted massively out from under our HOF coach.Ā  We had a way that we did things here and what we didn't do was what Kansas and Kentucky and Duke and UNC were all too happy to do.Ā  Then after we fired the coach who could still cobble together some success without having the best of the best, we hired guys that couldn't...or we hired guys who did the things we felt we were above and we canned him.

We have a ton of ground to make up.Ā  A ton.Ā  However, that ground is now easier to make up because Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and UNC aren't the only ones who can say "We have history, a rabid fanbase, exposure, and most importantly lots and lots of MONEY to throw your way," anymore.

5 years ago we aren't even talking about this kid.Ā  He wouldn't have given us a second look.Ā  Now that we can play the game, Adidas is suddenly starting to actually help us out.Ā  They helped us get money in TJD and JHS's pockets.Ā  Both those guys are screaming how awesome it is at IU now and are likely to be drafted next month.Ā  This job is much more attractive the next go around because Indiana is actually using its resources and playing the game now.Ā  Mgbako may or may not come but we are putting ourselves out there to start making up the ground.

Ā 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

More a swipe at the insolent Kansas fans than trying to persuade an 18 year old to pick IU...

If he picks us, fine... If he don't, fine too...Ā 

And the Adidas-Kansas thing was only a couple of years ago... Why do you think Self had to sit out 4 games early last year?

Our administration tried to destroy the program by trying to distance it from anything related to Bob Knight... Their administration have been aiders and abettors in cheating for 70 some years

Sitting 4 games was nothing compared to what we endured. I agree with the Knight statement, but we screwed up by hiring a guy who had already been busted for cheating. Had nothing to do with Knight.

I have not participated much in the frenzy that is this thread. I have become weary of all the ups and downs and the ongoing angst surrounding college basketball recruiting. It's gonna be what it's gonna be, and CMW will coach up whomever he has on his roster.Ā 

More important stuff to deal with that whether a kid hears "Rock, chalk, Jayhawk" or "Hoo-hoo-Hoosiers."

And as much as I respect you as a member here....I don't think taking a swipe at Kansas fans on this forum will have any impact.

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Of course

B1943F71-1293-4A64-94D1-8A7485AD4004.png

He may end up at Kansas but isn't Mgbako a Jersey/NY area kid looking at two schools in the Midwest?Ā  I would think the Southeast Analyst wouldn't really have the connections here....and at this point it is a 50/50 shot.Ā  Based on the past 20 years, saying it is Kansas isn't exactly going out on a limb at this point.Ā Ā 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Ledlum, seemed like the signs were pointing to IU, took a visit to Tennessee, and then committed there instead. Feels like this scenario all over againĀ 

Then we are Tennessee in this scenario, we were the last visit after "all signs pointing to KU".Ā 

I don't honestly think this is similar to Ledlum or Ware, but you just keep cheery picking things to shout the sky is falling.

We all get it man, you don't think this is going to go well despite no one actually knowing anything.Ā 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Sitting 4 games was nothing compared to what we endured. I agree with the Knight statement, but we screwed up by hiring a guy who had already been busted for cheating. Had nothing to do with Knight.

I have not participated much in the frenzy that is this thread. I have become weary of all the ups and downs and the ongoing angst surrounding college basketball recruiting. It's gonna be what it's gonna be, and CMW will coach up whomever he has on his roster.Ā 

More important stuff to deal with that whether a kid hears "Rock, chalk, Jayhawk" or "Hoo-hoo-Hoosiers."

We burned our program to the ground on our own volition, not because of Sampson's cell phone antics... The NCAA would have tapped us on the hand if they'd have had to dole out the punishment...

Dakich and Crean saw what kind of players Sampson had brought in, and did the right thing by getting rid of them and starting from scratch... You can argue all day long about that move, but I think both knew what IU fans expected, and went with a clean slate... And I'm glad they did... I've never cheered more for a team than I did for Crean's first 3...

Does anyone honestly think Duke, UCLA, UK, UNC, or KU (snicker) would have done that? Hell no... The only thingĀ theyĀ would have burned to the ground was the admin offices...

And I 100% agree with the statement on Coach Woodson... Whether we get MM or not, the college training wheels (TJD) are off... Coaching this team to compete in the Big 10 and in the tournament will be his biggest challenge to date...Ā 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I really think there are some posters on this forum who want to think the worst to protect themselves--rather have an "I told you so" than to be thoroughly disappointed if this goes against IU. Instead of being confident and optimistic that CMW and staff can bring this recruit in, the mindset turns to negativity and a sense of giving up, to help dampen what is perceived as future bad news.

Sorry to rant, but the ongoing Debbie Downer attitudes from some posters really is grating.

It is the same cycle everytime we do these.Ā  Depths of despair, excitement, back to depths of despair, and then either jubilation or confirmation of the despair.

We lose most of these high profile battles, particularly for out of state kids, so I also think some of the pessimism is just a defense mechanism.Ā  Better to be happily surprised then surprisingly disappointed.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Ledlum, seemed like the signs were pointing to IU, took a visit to Tennessee, and then committed there instead. Feels like this scenario all over againĀ 

There is a big difference in this recruitment that with MM we got the last visit. It was KU getting him and he wouldn't take another visit but still came here. So it is far from the Ledlum situation. We might not t get him but it must be hard being you on how you go from one extreme to another in seconds.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I really think there are some posters on this forum who want to think the worst to protect themselves--rather have an "I told you so" than to be thoroughly disappointed if this goes against IU. Instead of being confident and optimistic that CMW and staff can bring this recruit in, the mindset turns to negativity and a sense of giving up, to help dampen what is perceived as future bad news.

Sorry to rant, but the ongoing Debbie Downer attitudes from some posters really is grating.

Unfortunately, that's turned into the Indiana wayĀ 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Beamerball said:

Another one came in this morning for Kansas too. Cassidy is about 78% accurate, this guy is 83% accurate.

I guess when it is a 50/50 shot if you get your pick in early and its true, looks good. He could still change it last minute if more concrete intel comes out. Not sure how to read it

Their accuracy rates mean nothing. The people who do these often flip their picks at the last minute.Ā 

• Like 7

No shame in losing a recruit to Kansas. KU is only one of the handful of basketball programs who can legitimately tout themselves as having a better basketball pedigree and tradition than Indiana on top of selling a better brand. Sucks we are likely to be a bridesmaid once again but at least in this instance I can understand. Staff did everything in their power.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Sucks we are likely to be a bridesmaid once again but at least in this instance I can understand. Staff did everything in their power.

Why are we likely to be bridesmaid once again? There is no evidence anyone credible knows anything.Ā 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It is the same cycle everytime we do these.Ā  Depths of despair, excitement, back to depths of despair, and then either jubilation or confirmation of the despair.

We lose most of these high profile battles, particularly for out of state kids, so I also think some of the pessimism is just a defense mechanism.Ā  Better to be happily surprised then surprisingly disappointed.

Ware, JHS and Malik say hello in case you have short term memory loss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Ware, JHS and Malik say hello in case you have short term memory loss.

I did not say we lose them all, we lose most of them.Ā  That is just reality.

I am generally happy with the progress being made on being in a position to feel more confident in these, landing Mbagko would be another step on that path, but I am not going to overlook reality either, we have been a bridesmaid on more of these than a bride.

What is bad about getting so enthralled with recruiting is that we forget that we already have 11 players who said yes to IU. There are 11 guys who have represented IU in a fine manner and should be proud of them. We get to caught up in who.says no to IU over who says yes.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUskim said:

At this point I wish heā€™d just commit so we can get this over with.Ā 

I'm in total agreement, then I take a look at the rest of the threads where we are talking about recruiting guys in '25 and '26, those are years long recruitments lol.Ā  this has been like 2 weeks and i'm dead.Ā  I don't blame the kid if he takes another week to figure out what he wants, but it's a very tight timeline for a recruitment.Ā