Indiana Pacers thread

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think Whitmore will be there but I’d take him.

Have a feeling with Bird back involved we will probably trade the pick for a veteran that will help right away instead of continuing the rebuild.

Bird is just a figure head or consultant and don't have any real say what happens 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No I do not

Then why is he wasting his time? You don’t ask Larry freakin Bird to come in and consult if you don’t value his opinion. That’s insulting. He’s there because they value his opinions. Just like MJ is holding private workouts for Miller and Henderson and he just sold the team. They value his input. It isn’t just for show.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Then why is he wasting his time? You don’t ask Larry freakin Bird to come in and consult if you don’t value his opinion. That’s insulting. He’s there because they value his opinions. Just like MJ is holding private workouts for Miller and Henderson and he just sold the team. They value his input. It isn’t just for show.

Larry Bird - Wikipedia

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

He is there to help but he does have the final decision 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He is there to help but he does have the final decision 

Well Pritchard is the GM so of course he has the final say…and his opinions aren’t much better…but they are wanting Larry’s feedback and opinions on how to construct the team which is scary. It’s fine really…we have an old outdated owner that values winning just enough games to help the bottom line but doesn’t want to do the necessary house cleaning to bottom out and start over. I mean who brings in Rick Carlisle to start a total rebuild? The guy is playing George Hill for crying out loud towards the end of the season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rico said:

Larry Bird - Wikipedia

Not sure why he would leave Naples down here for the dumpster fire that is Pacer organization…then again he probably gets bored and they are the only ones who would let him screw around with their franchise. You don’t see the Celtics asking Larry to come help out.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure why he would leave Naples down here for the dumpster fire that is Pacer organization…then again he probably gets bored and they are the only ones who would let him screw around with their franchise. You don’t see the Celtics asking Larry to come help out.

They are not a dumpster fire and the last couple of years Pritchard had over hauled this team. They went from old and unathletic to a young and athletic team.  He hit on two draft picks last year in Mathurin and Niemhard. Made  a great trade to get Haliburton and Heild.  Maybe some small trades to get good rotation players in Neismith, Nwora and Smith.

This year they have picks 7, 26, 29, 32 and 55. They are only one of 4 teams that are under the salary cap.  They went from 25 to 35 wins in 1 year. They were on playoff position last year until Haliburton got injured

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

They are not a dumpster fire and the last couple of years Pritchard had over hauled this team. They went from old and unathletic to a young and athletic team.  He hit on two draft picks last year in Mathurin and Niemhard. Made  a great trade to get Haliburton and Heild.  Maybe some small trades to get good rotation players in Neismith, Nwora and Smith.

This year they have picks 7, 26, 29, 32 and 55. They are only one of 4 teams that are under the salary cap.  They went from 25 to 35 wins in 1 year. They were on playoff position last year until Haliburton got injured

We will see what they do with all that draft capital and cap space. If the give it all up to bring in marginal players that will at best get us a 6-7 seed…it will be for not. I’m not nearly as optimistic as you about this front office. 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We will see what they do with all that draft capital and cap space. If the give it all up to bring in marginal players that will at best get us a 6-7 seed…it will be for not. I’m not nearly as optimistic as you about this front office. 

The last couple of years the front office has hit it out if the park. If they can get an experience young player in a trade for some of those picks is what I think would be best. I don't think anyone at 7 is going to be a big difference maker where you know they would be an all star. They already said that they have no room to make all 5 picks because they don't have the roster space. I still would look at a tease for OG.

Pacers get OG and the 13th pick

Toronto gets pick 7, 26, 55 Durate and Smith.

That leaves the Pacers picking 13, 29 and 32

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The last couple of years the front office has hit it out if the park. If they can get an experience young player in a trade for some of those picks is what I think would be best. I don't think anyone at 7 is going to be a big difference maker where you know they would be an all star. They already said that they have no room to make all 5 picks because they don't have the roster space. I still would look at a tease for OG.

Pacers get OG and the 13th pick

Toronto gets pick 7, 26, 55 Durate and Smith.

That leaves the Pacers picking 13, 29 and 32

The pacers already tried to get OG…they got turned down. Also Portland offered 7 last year and got turned down. I love OG but he is the 4th option on an avg team. He plays good defense but he is not a difference maker. He isn’t an all star and never will be. These type of moves are what I fear most.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

The Pacers current collection of young talent is intriguing but they need to put the pedal to the metal, get to the playoffs and win some playoff games again. Pretty sure the last time the Pacers did anything in the postseason was the George/Hibbert/West years when the LeHeat kept getting in our way. Since then, a lot of quick exits or just not in the playoffs at all. We did have the one year Oladipo was healthy AND good and pushed the LeBron Cavs to 7 games in the 1st round, that was 2018? So 5 years of blech.

I'd like to see the Pacers win a title in my lifetime. We've had teams close before. In today's NBA, like I look at Denver and Milwaukee who are non-traditional NBA power markets that won it all. Toronto too, I guess. So can we luck into drafting a Giannis or Luka type player, or get a healthy Kawhi type player to fill out a promising roster to get over the top? Not likely but I can dream, right?

18 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

The Pacers current collection of young talent is intriguing but they need to put the pedal to the metal, get to the playoffs and win some playoff games again. Pretty sure the last time the Pacers did anything in the postseason was the George/Hibbert/West years when the LeHeat kept getting in our way. Since then, a lot of quick exits or just not in the playoffs at all. We did have the one year Oladipo was healthy AND good and pushed the LeBron Cavs to 7 games in the 1st round, that was 2018? So 5 years of blech.

I'd like to see the Pacers win a title in my lifetime. We've had teams close before. In today's NBA, like I look at Denver and Milwaukee who are non-traditional NBA power markets that won it all. Toronto too, I guess. So can we luck into drafting a Giannis or Luka type player, or get a healthy Kawhi type player to fill out a promising roster to get over the top? Not likely but I can dream, right?

The new CBA makes the 3 headed monster pretty difficult to put a team around….not sure how Phoenix will do that given their current limitations. You really need a superstar and then put some good talent around them (couple border line all stars and some solid vets). We can do that…but we need the stud. Just have to find that dude.

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

The new CBA makes the 3 headed monster pretty difficult to put a team around….not sure how Phoenix will do that given their current limitations. You really need a superstar and then put some good talent around them (couple border line all stars and some solid vets). We can do that…but we need the stud. Just have to find that dude.

Yeah Phoenix seems like a very poor fit to me. The 3 headed monster thing has rarely worked in NBA history and these three don’t really have complimentary skill sets IMO. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah Phoenix seems like a very poor fit to me. The 3 headed monster thing has rarely worked in NBA history and these three don’t really have complimentary skill sets IMO. 

Agreed. Not sure how Beal, Booker, and Durant work. All seem very iso/ball dominant. That doesn’t even add in Ayton who hasn’t been happy in the past and will see his looks drop significantly as well. They were already a bad defensive team so hard to see how it works. I wonder if Pacers revisit the Ayton trade once they can officially trade for him with that new contract I think in July. They need depth and defense and I would think pieces like Myles and TJM would fit their needs and save them money in the long run. Always throw in second rd picks as well because they won’t want first rd guarantees.

Not sure I want Ayton but I think just about any good center can play with Hali in the pick n roll.

Edited by dgambill

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Not sure how Beal, Booker, and Durant work. All seem very iso/ball dominant. That doesn’t even add in Ayton who hasn’t been happy in the past and will see his looks drop significantly as well. They were already a bad defensive team so hard to see how it works. I wonder if Pacers revisit the Ayton trade once they can officially trade for him with that new contract I think in July. They need depth and defense and I would think pieces like Myles and TJM would fit their needs and save them money in the long run. Always throw in second rd picks as well because they won’t want first rd guarantees.

Not sure I want Ayton but I think just about any good center can play with Hali in the pick n roll.

If we could get Ayton for that I’d be good with it, don’t want to give up any high picks for him at this point though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

If we could get Ayton for that I’d be good with it, don’t want to give up any high picks for him at this point though. 

Well I think Scott wants to give up #7 and future first for OG from his posts…I agree we need to stay committed to this rebuild.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Well I think Scott wants to give up #7 and future first for OG from his posts…I agree we need to stay committed to this rebuild.

Never said a future 1st round. 7,29,55 and a couple of fringe players for OG and the 13th pick. To me there is no one at 7 that I would take over OG. I think players in that range will be solid players but none of them I see as all star type of players.

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Never said a future 1st round. 7,29,55 and a couple of fringe players for OG and the 13th pick. To me there is no one at 7 that I would take over OG. I think players in that range will be solid players but none of them I see as all star type of players.

How many games has OG played? Constantly hurt, never been more than 3rd or 4th option. Sorry but I’m not giving up the 7th pick for that. We could have drafted him years ago…that would so be a Pacer move. Screw up, then make it worse by giving up your future to rectify your mistake…oh and overpaying to do it because next offseason he will be eligible for a much bigger contract.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If you could get OG on a rookie deal with team control for that long then sure, but you can't.

Part of the value of rookies is how long and affordably you can control them. You'd very likely lose OG after one season.

Edited by KoB2011