FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possible meanings of "They are super willing to do what it takes to recruit Silvio":

1. We won't recruit over him.
  2. We will do all we can to get the young man in the academic major that is of most interest to him.
  3. We promise to build a championship team around him that all Hoosier Nation would be proud of. made up of young men with integrity, and no fear of vacating any championships won.
  4. He won't have to room with 'X' (whoever has the worst body odor on the team)
  5. We will ask Victor Oladipo to sing at his wedding
  6. We will serve his favorite cookie for dessert at all team meals.
  7. We will outbid Kansas for his services and provide transportation every so often for the short trip to Louisville, where he can enjoy other 'entertainment'

24 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This is ridiculous.  Here I thought we finally had a good coach and good recruiter.  Hope something else comes out and makes it more clear on what went on. I’m personally disgusted with all of this.  Not a good look....

Not a good look at all.  Even though I know that it is highly unlikely that there is a successful program out there that does not bend, if not outright break, the rules, part of me has always refused to believe that IU would be like that.   

Information such as this points out how naive such a belief is.  

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not a good look at all.  Even though I know that it is highly unlikely that there is a successful program out there that does not bend, if not outright break, the rules, part of me has always refused to believe that IU would be like that.   

Information such as this points out how naive such a belief is.  

If they were going to bend the rules at least do it for a better player than this guy.  to me if we are found out to have broken these rules then the coaching staff needs to go but lets wait and see if anything comes from this.

It's just not a good look, as far as I am concerned.  Talking about being concerned, I mentioned in TDH's thread about being concerned, that as long as IU is and has been mentioned, and most everything is centered around Adidas, that there should be some semblance of awareness, until and if this thing gets completely blown over.  Now .... we have this. Now I am raising my level of awareness to concern.  I am not saying IU is complicit in any way.... just saying the longer this goes, it could get worse. As we are seeing now. 

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

It doesnt look good as worded.  But being competitive and doing whatever it takes could be anything/everything short of going over the line.

What you say is true. It looks bad because it comes up during the time period of the trial. He said willing to do anything to recruit the kid. If you are clean that means anything short of breaking the rules. If you cheat well we all know what that means. Only being on the job here a year when that was allegedly said I would have to think his intentions were above board . I certainly hope so anyways because we are all innocent until proven otherwise

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Guys. Let's hold off before starting to worry. There are plenty of programs out there who don't want IU to return to our former dominance....taking this text as gospel is jumping the gun. Could have been used as leverage to get more from Kansas.

Could be a guy at Adidas trying to show how much value and connections he has to impress his boss. Who knows. Until something concrete comes to light the NCAA has much bigger fish to fry then worrying about a text message insinuating this guy has a contact at IU who's willing to play ball. If it happened I'm sure it'll come out but given the fact that the kid in question wasn't even offered a scholarship I'm not all that worried that we were involved in offering him money to play here.

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

Could be a guy at Adidas trying to show how much value and connections he has to impress his boss. Who knows. Until something concrete comes to light the NCAA has much bigger fish to fry then worrying about a text message insinuating this guy has a contact at IU who's willing to play ball. If it happened I'm sure it'll come out but given the fact that the kid in question wasn't even offered a scholarship I'm not all that worried that we were involved in offering him money to play here.

Exactly. Maybe someone should let Dakich know the same. He's off and running with it as usual. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And PS....there's a reason why the judge didn't allow it in. Plenty of ways to interpret. To me it's a nonissue on so many levels. 

Hearsay usually is not admissable in court.  But, that doesn't mean it's not true.

Calling it a 'non-issue' is probably too strong.  It may not be an issue, but we don't have enough info to say it's not.  

As I said before, I have always 'believed' IU to be clean, but admittedly consider that to be naive.

As it is presented, it looks bad.  I think we can all agree to that.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Exactly. Maybe someone should let Dakich know the same. He's off and running with it as usual. 

Dakich is nothing but a shock jock for local sports. He has zero credibility and thus no connections in the state or elsewhere. Everyone knows better than to talk to him because he'll embellish and sound off about it on his radio show or twitter. 

Just now, slojoe said:

I don't remember that IU ever recruited this Silvio guy.

We didn't but that doesn't mean the coaching staff wouldn't put out feelers to see if there was interest. I get that this doesn't look good but it also don't implicate IU. Hopefully this is a wake up call for our current staff to straighten up and fly right because even the loosest of connections to these scumbags is coming out and it's going to be hard to explain away why your name is coming up in testimony. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Dakich seems to have additional sources that he trusts filling in some of the gaps.  Some people like him, some don’t but in the end he is usually correct.  After reading the article and listening to the DD show, I am certainly more concerned than before. If any of this is found to be true, all involved, including Fred Glass, need to be shown the door.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Nothing on ESPN.com about IU on this story

And you probably won't find it. Why? Because it's nonsense and most journalists know better to just run with something until they can corroborate it's meaning and properly source it. Interpreting a text from a coach asking for an update? On a player we never offered? Cool...

6 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Here's the thing...we know "what it took" to recruit Silvio. So IU being super willing to do "what it takes" to recruit Silvio has obvious implications behind it.

If someone produces a wire tap or text message showing Ostrom saying this then we have a problem. Some guy at Adidas claiming Ostrom is willing to do what it takes is baseless. People lie all the time to make themselves look better, influence a situation, etc. Show me record of Ostrom saying this stuff and you have something. Until then there's nothing. 

Man I really love IU and college basketball but they are making it harder to really watch college sports.  I know these coaches feel the pressure from the fans and the athletic department to win but they need to find other ways than try to vent the rules.  Maybe if we as fans were more patient and not expect immediate success these college coaches wouldn't feel the need to break the rules.

C428B909-07D1-4711-BDCA-4D1A3C45EB47.jpeg

I have read this thing over and over again and do not see anything that seems incriminating!!! 

.......I am from Indiana and Coach Ostrom asked me for an update. "They are super willing to do what it takes to RECRUIT Silvio. Is that something of interest for us?"

Are they trying to squeeze blood from a turnip? Good grief!! This is how I read this and fully interpret it....

super willing = very motivated, very interested, top of the list....

what it takes= scheduling, campus visits/in home, recruit contact info......

RECRUIT= GO AFTER, SHOW EXTREME INTEREST, REACH OUT, REGULARLY CONTACT.....

Nowhere, does it mention anything about money bribe, improper rules violations, cheating or even a slimy coach. It is just a coach who really wants a kid and wants him to know that IU wants him. He is basically asking...."Do we have shot at him? We want him to know that we REALLY want him, if he is interested...PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

If I am way off, then so be it. That is how I see this one, bottom line!

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

If someone produces a wire tap or text message showing Ostrom saying this then we have a problem. Some guy at Adidas claiming Ostrom is willing to do what it takes is baseless. People lie all the time to make themselves look better, influence a situation, etc. Show me record of Ostrom saying this stuff and you have something. Until then there's nothing. 

Yes, claiming something isn't real is certainly an option to refute it, if one so chooses.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I get what you are saying.  But, here's the thing.  I have no smoking gun on John Calipari.  But, you could try and convince me now until the cows come home that he doesn't cheat.  I'm not going to believe you.  While John himself may not soil his dainty little hands, he allows it to happen in his program.  There is little doubt in my mind.  I despise UK and all it represents.  If I'm not just as disgusted if the same thing is going on at IU, then I am just being a hypocrite.  

Archived