Poll: Who Will Lead IU in Scoring in 2023-24?

Poll: Who Will Lead IU in Scoring in 2023-24?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Lead IU in Scoring Average in 2023-24?

• Xavier Johnson
    • Kel'el Ware
    • Malik Reneau
    • Mackenzie Mgbako
    • Trey Galloway
    • Payton Sparks
    • CJ Gunn
    • Kaleb Banks
    • Anthony Walker
    • Anthony Leal
    • Jakai Newton
    • Gabe Cupps

23 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I think a lot of people forget how good X can be

Doubt he will be our leading scorer. I do feel he may be our best player. 

I strongly feel he is the most important.

But we will he a better team if he is about our 3rd leading scorer, best defender and floor captain.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It's borderline impossible to be worse on defense, so sounds like an upgrade on both ends. 

While Jordan had his problems staying in front of his man sometimes, his blocked shot totals and advanced metrics were actually pretty good on the defensive end... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Doubt he will be our leading scorer. I do feel he may be our best player. 

I strongly feel he is the most important.

But we will he a better team if he is about our 3rd leading scorer, best defender and floor captain.

What he average the last 6-9 games of the 22 season for us when we went on that run? 16 I think? I’m guessing that lead us in scoring that stretch or TJD might had more.

Agreed though being the leader he needs to know when to get his and get others involved.. we need him to get guys around him good shots and get them confidence for sure. I don’t think he is anywhere less than 2nd on team in scoring though unless he isn’t as explosive from foot injury 

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

While Jordan had his problems staying in front of his man sometimes, his blocked shot totals and advanced metrics were actually pretty good on the defensive end... 

His defensive win shares was the worst among rotation players last year…

Jordan Geronimo wouldn’t have fallen out of the rotation if he was half as good as he was made out to be. 

17 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

What he average the last 6-9 games of the 22 season for us when we went on that run? 16 I think? I’m guessing that lead us in scoring that stretch or TJD might had more.

Agreed though being the leader he needs to know when to get his and get others involved.. we need him to get guys around him good shots and get them confidence for sure. I don’t think he is anywhere less than 2nd on team in scoring though unless he isn’t as explosive from foot injury 

His last 10 games of 21-22 he averaged 16.6 ppg (Trayce scored 19 ppg during those games)... But we also went 5-5 in that stretch...

I'd like to see X facilitate, take the ball to the basket, and shoot the 3 when he's open, and play the suffocating defense he's known for... 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

His last 10 games of 21-22 he averaged 16.6 ppg (Trayce scored 19 ppg during those games)... But we also went 5-5 in that stretch...

I'd like to see X facilitate, take the ball to the basket, and shoot the 3 when he's open, and play the suffocating defense he's known for... 

This and what others such as BluegrassIU said is why I didn't pick X as the leading scorer.  We want X doing what he does best and let the others do what they do.  That's the sign of a well put together team.  I picked Mgbako as the leading scorer because that's what he does and really well.  It's also very possible that we have very balanced scoring.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

His defensive win shares was the worst among rotation players last year…

Jordan Geronimo wouldn’t have fallen out of the rotation if he was half as good as he was made out to be. 

Defensive+/- and Drtg was 2nd on the team for rotation players, and his block rate per 40 was twice what Payton Sparks was at Ball State...

So we can trade statistics all you want...I noted that he got beat off the dribble a lot (and we have no idea how Sparks will defend switching to smaller players), but even though he was undersized he played pretty serviceable post defense, especially on the help side...

That and offensive putbacks were his best tools... His falling out of the rotation had more to do with getting away from those strengths and mental errors... 

Edited by IUFLA

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

I think X can facilitate and score. Counting on him maturing and making the most of his final season. Maybe he leads the team scoring 14-16? I don't see that being unreasonable and that can easily come within the flow while allowing him to get others involved. 

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Defensive+/- and Drtg was 2nd on the team for rotation players, and his block rate per 40 was twice what Payton Sparks was at Ball State...

So we can trade statistics all you want...I noted that he got beat off the dribble a lot (and we have no idea how Sparks will defend switching to smaller players), but even though he was undersized he played pretty serviceable post defense, especially on the help side...

That and offensive putbacks were his best tools... His falling out of the rotation had more to do with getting away from those strengths and mental errors... 

Yes he had some good tools, he was not a good basketball player. Woody very clearly agreed he wasn’t good on either end or he would have stayed in the rotation and likely on the team.

On a positive note, I am happy for both Jordan and for us that he landed on his feet at a Big Ten contender. 

41 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes he had some good tools, he was not a good basketball player. Woody very clearly agreed he wasn’t good on either end or he would have stayed in the rotation and likely on the team.

On a positive note, I am happy for both Jordan and for us that he landed on his feet at a Big Ten contender. 

If Jordan is "not a good basketball player" why did Kevin Willard, who I'd bet has a little better grasp on things like that than you do, pick him up?

🤔 

My initial premise was that Payton Sparks would be a significant upgrade over Geronimo on the offensive end, but not sure about Sparks'defensive capabilities simply because I haven't seen him play besides highlights (which don't usually show that kind of thing, sans the occasional blocked shot)... And you use it as a opportunity to deride Geronimo...

You need to get over yourself... 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If Jordan is "not a good basketball player" why did Kevin Willard, who I'd bet has a little better grasp on things like that than you do, pick him up?

🤔

My initial premise was that Payton Sparks would be a significant upgrade over Geronimo on the offensive end, but not sure about Sparks'defensive capabilities simply because I haven't seen him play besides highlights (which don't usually show that kind of thing, sans the occasional blocked shot)... And you use it as a opportunity to deride Geronimo...

You need to get over yourself... 

What do I need to get over? You brought up Geronimo to a thread about a team he isn't on, and are now getting bent out of shape by someone pointing out he wasn't a good defender.

I am guessing Willard picked him up because he liked his athleticism and hopes it may fit better with how Maryland plays. But like I said, I'm happy Jordan Geronimo is on another contender in the conference.

Regarding your jab with Willard knowing better than me, does he also know better than Woody? Or did Woody want him back and you're now defending a guy who quit on our team to go to a conference rival? I think it's obvious Woody didn't want him back, but I guess Willard knows better than Woody too.... according to you. 

15 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

What do I need to get over? You brought up Geronimo to a thread about a team he isn't on, and are now getting bent out of shape by someone pointing out he wasn't a good defender.

I am guessing Willard picked him up because he liked his athleticism and hopes it may fit better with how Maryland plays. But like I said, I'm happy Jordan Geronimo is on another contender in the conference.

Regarding your jab with Willard knowing better than me, does he also know better than Woody? Or did Woody want him back and you're now defending a guy who quit on our team to go to a conference rival? I think it's obvious Woody didn't want him back, but I guess Willard knows better than Woody too.... according to you. 

I'm not going to argue the point with you on this... Your penchant for trying to justify untenable positions is trite and boring, and I'm sure most of the people on this forum don't appreciate the back and forth...

But thanks for crapping in a good off-season thread that was meant to spur honest dialogue... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not going to argue the point with you on this... Your penchant for trying to justify untenable positions is trite and boring, and I'm sure most of the people on this forum don't appreciate the back and forth...

But thanks for crapping in a good off-season thread that was meant to spur honest dialogue... 

I made a pretty harmless comment about a guy not on our team, then you got real defensive of him.

Had you been fine to accept a guy who either quit on the team or wasn’t wanted on the team by Woodson, isn’t a good defender, then there wouldn’t have been a back and forth.

I’d honestly have never guessed someone saying Jordan Geronimo was a bad defender after what we witnessed from him last season would spark a multi post debate…