Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

per ESPN:

NASSAU, Bahamas -- Michigan coach Juwan Howard returned to the Wolverines' bench Wednesday, but only as an observer for their first-round game against Memphis in the Battle 4 Atlantis.

Howard has been resting after heart surgery Sept. 15 that successfully resected an aortic aneurysm and repaired his aortic valve.

At the time of the surgery, it was expected Howard would recover in six to 12 weeks, with a return to the program in four to six weeks. The school recently said there was no immediate timetable for his return as he continued to rehab and rest while Phil Martelli continues to serve as interim head coach.

Another former college and NBA star, Memphis head coach Penny Hardaway, made his first appearance this season on the Tigers' bench after sitting out the team's first three games to serve a suspension resulting from recruiting violations.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

per ESPN:

NASSAU, Bahamas -- Michigan coach Juwan Howard returned to the Wolverines' bench Wednesday, but only as an observer for their first-round game against Memphis in the Battle 4 Atlantis.

Howard has been resting after heart surgery Sept. 15 that successfully resected an aortic aneurysm and repaired his aortic valve.

At the time of the surgery, it was expected Howard would recover in six to 12 weeks, with a return to the program in four to six weeks. The school recently said there was no immediate timetable for his return as he continued to rehab and rest while Phil Martelli continues to serve as interim head coach.

Another former college and NBA star, Memphis head coach Penny Hardaway, made his first appearance this season on the Tigers' bench after sitting out the team's first three games to serve a suspension resulting from recruiting violations.

I watched some of the game...Didn't look like an "observer" the whole time to me...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It was kinda awkward...Martelli at one end of the bench yelling, and Juwan at the other end...If I was Martelli I'd have said, "Either take it, or shut up."

If UM was smart, they would put Juwan Howard on a medical absence for the rest of the season!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

A few weeks ago Izzo said people need to be patient with him. That he needs to get stronger, but that he has a big upside. 

Anyone who knew some stuff at Cathedral aren't surprised. The kid just happens to be really good at basketball but I don't think he loves it. Izzo made a comment that he got a text from X wanting to watch film and Izzo said that's a start because he doesn't ever talk to anyone. 

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Meaningless stat:

No Big Ten team has been ranked #1 AP in 3 consecutive seasons 

Shocked O$U early 60’s or IU mid 70’s

We didn't stack #1 teams.  Knight usually had a 4 to 5 year build to a Championship caliber team with good teams in between.

22 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Sounds a lot like our situation with Mgbako…patience is required.

These are tough situations….guessing both players are one and done 

Do you hold them to the highest standard and bench them or limit minutes?  
We only get to see games…