Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

13 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Good news for Purdue is Braden is short 

There’s not a single person in college basketball that is worried, even slightly, about little Braden or Purdue basketball being a real contender lol. It’s so fun to watch you guys puff your chests out every Nov-Feb, and then witness Groundhog Day unfold in March. Enjoy the cute little regular season wins. You’ll all go back into your little holes once the tall kid leaves and you’re stuck with a group of average dudes.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IndyHoosier said:

There’s not a single person in college basketball that is worried, even slightly, about little Braden or Purdue basketball being a real contender lol. It’s so fun to watch you guys puff your chests out every Nov-Feb, and then witness Groundhog Day unfold in March. Enjoy the cute little regular season wins. You’ll all go back into your little holes once the tall kid leaves and you’re stuck with a group of average dudes.

Not a single person? I’m sure Arizona, Gonzaga, Tennessee, Marquette, Alabama, etc would disagree. Braden is one of the best point guards in college basketball lol. Even after Edey leaves, I’ll bet we’ll be a preseason top 10 team with the guys we have returning plus our incoming class. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not a single person? I’m sure Arizona, Gonzaga, Tennessee, Marquette, Alabama, etc would disagree. Braden is one of the best point guards in college basketball lol. Even after Edey leaves, I’ll bet we’ll be a preseason top 10 team with the guys we have returning plus our incoming class. 

Classic! No, I’m quite sure those players and coaches have moved on. The point guard is nowhere near, not even remotely close, to being “one of the best point guards in college basketball.” That’s such an outrageous comment. You’ll see how much the tall kid makes everyone better simple by being taller than everyone else.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IndyHoosier said:

Classic! No, I’m quite sure those players and coaches have moved on. The point guard is nowhere near, not even remotely close, to being “one of the best point guards in college basketball.” That’s such an outrageous comment. You’ll see how much the tall kid makes everyone better simple by being taller than everyone else.  

Why is it outrageous? Look at his stats. At this point, it feels like you’re just trolling and don’t actually believe what you’re typing lol. 

30 minutes ago, IndyHoosier said:

Thanks 

We always get the average dudes 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why is it outrageous? Look at his stats. At this point, it feels like you’re just trolling and don’t actually believe what you’re typing lol. 

100% believe what I’m typing. His deficiencies are hidden by your center. Same for your other guard, #2 I think. Without your big kid, it’s clear you have a very average ball club. Your center could make even the most average of players shine. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, IndyHoosier said:

100% believe what I’m typing. His deficiencies are hidden by your center. Same for your other guard, #2 I think. Without your big kid, it’s clear you have a very average ball club. Your center could make even the most average of players shine. 

We can agree to disagree. Does Edey help make players better? Obviously the NPOY will do that. But if you see Smith play without Edey, it’s clear he’s a stud. 

We’ll be a top 10 team next year without Edey IMO. Its still a really talented squad even without Edey. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We can agree to disagree. Does Edey help make players better? Obviously the NPOY will do that. But if you see Smith play without Edey, it’s clear he’s a stud. 

We’ll be a top 10 team next year without Edey IMO. Its still a really talented squad even without Edey. 

Top 10 is a stretch…top 25 sure…love smith wished IU would offered..maybe the best guard in conference…in the nation? No…Edey helps tremendously and Smith has also really improved..both can be true..

7 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Top 10 is a stretch…top 25 sure…love smith wished IU would offered..maybe the best guard in conference…in the nation? No…Edey helps tremendously and Smith has also really improved..both can be true..

It depends on who leaves from other teams but we’ll bring back a solid core and bring in some solid recruits (thinking Catchings and Harris being the two most likely to make an immediate impact). I think Smith is absolutely in the conversation for best PG in the conference. His stats are on par (and even better in some areas) than Kolek. 

And you’re right that both can be true which was part of my argument that Smith’s improvement isn’t just linked to how tall/dominant Edey is. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

My question is where does Furst play next year?

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It depends on who leaves from other teams but we’ll bring back a solid core and bring in some solid recruits (thinking Catchings and Harris being the two most likely to make an immediate impact). I think Smith is absolutely in the conversation for best PG in the conference. His stats are on par (and even better in some areas) than Kolek. 

And you’re right that both can be true which was part of my argument that Smith’s improvement isn’t just linked to how tall/dominant Edey is. 

I think losing the NPOY for basically 2 straight seasons is going to be a much bigger loss than you expect. Purdue should definitely be top 25 though next year. Smith is probably my favorite player to watch in the BIG 10 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rico said:

My question is where does Furst play next year?

That’s a great question. I think TKR will start at the 5 next year and the 4 will be some combination of Furst/Heide. I could see Furst getting time at both the 4 and 5 next year. Could see Berg being the odd man out and leaving but who knows. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

25 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I think losing the NPOY for basically 2 straight seasons is going to be a much bigger loss than you expect. Purdue should definitely be top 25 though next year. Smith is probably my favorite player to watch in the BIG 10 

Oh I’m not trying to downplay losing him sorry if it came off that way. It’ll be a huge loss (literally and figuratively) but was trying to say that we still have a lot of really good players with more coming in next year. Top 10 is maybe ambitious but I’m really high on some of the incoming freshmen so we shall see. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

51 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s a great question. I think TKR will start at the 5 next year and the 4 will be some combination of Furst/Heide. I could see Furst getting time at both the 4 and 5 next year. Could see Berg being the odd man out and leaving but who knows. 

Will Furst have his degree come the end of this year?

Being as unbiased as possible for a 65+ years IU guy, Purdue has a really good team, maybe championship good team. I also really like Painter because he knows who he is and builds good teams without chasing 5 star, one and done guys. I love that. Obviously I don't know him, but he has always seemed like a class act. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, cthomas said:

Being as unbiased as possible for a 65+ years IU guy, Purdue has a really good team, maybe championship good team. I also really like Painter because he knows who he is and builds good teams without chasing 5 star, one and done guys. I love that. Obviously I don't know him, but he has always seemed like a class act. 

Purdue's going to have to prove they've got it in the late season first.  Over the last few seasons, they've played their best basketball in Nov-Dec, but always slide at the end of the season.  Purdue never improves, and sometimes regresses in Feb-March, while other teams spend the whole season getting better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1