Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

I know Trilly is supposedly plugged in, but I don’t see any reason why Oats would leave Bama for OSU unless there’s a big pay increase. And any pay increase could easily be matched by Bama. Feels like that might just be a play by his agent to get a raise at Bama

I agree that I don’t see him leaving for Ohio St but I think if I were an Ohio St fan I would be thrilled to know we are at least reaching out and being told no first. Plus, Ohio St did the intelligent thing and ripped the band aid off so they could get a head start over other programs that are waiting because of fan/media backlash.

That choice could be the difference in getting a guy like Oats because they have more time to establish a relationship and negotiate and could always go back to boosters with a number Oats had in mind to secure his commitment. 

If I had to guess, I think they end up with either Sean Miller or Lamont Paris. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Matta showed that the right guy at OSU can not only win but recruit Indiana. If they hire the right guy it’s bad for IU

The right guy anywhere can recruit Indiana, because Indiana does have strong talent.

The right guy at UL, UK, Purdue, UM, OSU, UNC, Michigan State, you get the picture, can and will all recruit in the state. Worrying about that is the wrong approach. It's more about making sure our yard is kept nice.

Bringing up Matta is more a reflection of Davis' fumble, imo. Absolutely, Matta was/is a good coach and did very well there. I would say that MD didn't do what he was supposed to. If he did, we're playing Florida for the Natty.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I agree that I don’t see him leaving for Ohio St but I think if I were an Ohio St fan I would be thrilled to know we are at least reaching out and being told no first. Plus, Ohio St did the intelligent thing and ripped the band aid off so they could get a head start over other programs that are waiting because of fan/media backlash.

That choice could be the difference in getting a guy like Oats because they have more time to establish a relationship and negotiate and could always go back to boosters with a number Oats had in mind to secure his commitment. 

If I had to guess, I think they end up with either Sean Miller or Lamont Paris. 

Idk, I don’t give credit to a school for reaching out to a coach and have them say no. By all accounts IU did that the last time around.

I do think the last two guys you mentioned are realistic though. Will be interesting to see who they get.

10 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Idk, I don’t give credit to a school for reaching out to a coach and have them say no. By all accounts IU did that the last time around.

I do think the last two guys you mentioned are realistic though. Will be interesting to see who they get.

I really hope this doesn’t come off as a personal attack lol but does anyone actually have a list or know of coaches that Dolson reached out to before Woodson? I’ve seen several people say “we tried to get a good coach already and ended up with Woodson”. Maybe it’s just me but I’m skeptical that every single D1 college coach said no to us and simply by a process of elimination, Mike Woodson was our only option lol. A guy with zero college coaching or recruiting experience, 60+ years old and on his final coaching gig before retirement, and hasn’t been a head coach for an NBA team since 2014… 

I do give AD’s a bit of credit because these situations at times can be a “race to the finish” so you have to be intelligent about risking time and effort for the “home run hire” when another coach you could have landed instead gets swept up. Hence why I said I think Ohio St made the right choice to put themselves in a more favorable position to get these convos started and gauge interests. 

• Like 2

I'm legitimately curious why some think a coach at a P6 school not in the BigTen would see OSU as a step up? Money aside that is.

Just looking at which conferences have had national championships in the last 20 years... that's a BigZero for the BigTen. Not to mention the overall poor performance of the conference in the tournament for many years now and the "Tackle Basketball" that the conference allows. 

image.png.fb4c6081a8238743a05ab18051644aa9.png

Sure, maybe a coach at some perpetual bottom dweller team in one of those conferences but I don't see why someone like Oats or Miller would see that job as a step up from where they currently are. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I really hope this doesn’t come off as a personal attack lol but does anyone actually have a list or know of coaches that Dolson reached out to before Woodson? I’ve seen several people say “we tried to get a good coach already and ended up with Woodson”. Maybe it’s just me but I’m skeptical that every single D1 college coach said no to us and simply by a process of elimination, Mike Woodson was our only option lol. A guy with zero college coaching or recruiting experience, 60+ years old and on his final coaching gig before retirement, and hasn’t been a head coach for an NBA team since 2014… 

I do give AD’s a bit of credit because these situations at times can be a “race to the finish” so you have to be intelligent about risking time and effort for the “home run hire” when another coach you could have landed instead gets swept up. Hence why I said I think Ohio St made the right choice to put themselves in a more favorable position to get these convos started and gauge interests. 

I’d imagine everybody is sworn to secrecy. Neither party wants that info getting out. Could you imagine the reaction of our fanbase if, for example, Woody was our 4th choice? Or, for example, how Alabama fans/players/recruits would react if they knew Oates was open to having a conversation about another coaching job? 

In my experience ‘big boosters’ talk a lot to make themselves feel important. I think boosters ‘close to the program’ start 90% of these rumors. When it comes to something important as coaching searches when reputations and careers are on the line, I don’t think anybody knows other than a small group of people whose lips are zipped (aka not boosters. Not players. Not the media). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

You will never know who’s actually contacted in any coaching search. If we’re going to give Ohio State credit for a list of coaches from a burner account - and it wasn’t even coaches that the account said were contacted - then I’d give some credence to the rumors from the last IU coaching search.

But fair point, we don’t really ever know who was contacted. But I’d be surprised if Dolson just reached out to Woodson and called it a day during the last search.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

“If ever there was a time to give Stevens an excuse to come home, this was it.”

“When it didn’t get done, Dolson turned his attention to a pitch he could hit.  Woodson was back in the NBA as an assistant for the Knicks, but was more than willing to accept 30% of the money offered to Stevens to professionally return to a college campus for the first time since 1980.  Because of the massive savings, Woodson and IU were able to offer Matta and Fife the kind of cash that motivated them to invest their talents in restoring greatness (or at least competence) to Indiana Basketball.”

http://kentsterling.com/2021/04/19/indana-basketball-mike-woodson-might-be-the-perfect-plan-b-after-stevens-declined-7-years-70m-iubb/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I’d imagine everybody is sworn to secrecy. Neither party wants that info getting out. Could you imagine the reaction of our fanbase if, for example, Woody was our 4th choice? Or, for example, how Alabama fans/players/recruits would react if they knew Oates was open to having a conversation about another coaching job? 

In my experience ‘big boosters’ talk a lot to make themselves feel important. I think boosters ‘close to the program’ start 90% of these rumors. When it comes to something important as coaching searches when reputations and careers are on the line, I don’t think anybody knows other than a small group of people whose lips are zipped (aka not boosters. Not players. Not the media). 

Oh I completely agree, it would be inappropriate to publicize the order in which Dolson went to land a coach.

I said I hoped it wasn’t a personal attack earlier because I was genuinely hoping those on this board that have connections to players/staff would maybe have some insight into who they were hoping for the first time around. I just wanted to see some names so I could gauge how optimistic/pessimistic I should feel going into the next coaching hire lol. 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

“If ever there was a time to give Stevens an excuse to come home, this was it.”

“When it didn’t get done, Dolson turned his attention to a pitch he could hit.  Woodson was back in the NBA as an assistant for the Knicks, but was more than willing to accept 30% of the money offered to Stevens to professionally return to a college campus for the first time since 1980.  Because of the massive savings, Woodson and IU were able to offer Matta and Fife the kind of cash that motivated them to invest their talents in restoring greatness (or at least competence) to Indiana Basketball.”

http://kentsterling.com/2021/04/19/indana-basketball-mike-woodson-might-be-the-perfect-plan-b-after-stevens-declined-7-years-70m-iubb/

Thanks. The article makes it sound like it was Stevens then Woodson but I would assume there were several other coaches before that that said no. At least I hope so lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Thanks. The article makes it sound like it was Stevens then Woodson but I would assume there were several other coaches before that that said no. At least I hope so lol.

Why would you hope a bunch said no? I’d say it was Stevens and then fall back to Woody. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Why would you hope a bunch said no? I’d say it was Stevens and then fall back to Woody. 

I was saying I hope the reason we ended up with a coach like Woodson was because the rest of the better coaches (Drew, Beard, Few, Muss, etc) said no first. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I was saying I hope the reason we ended up with a coach like Woodson was because the rest of the better coaches (Drew, Beard, Few, Muss, etc) said no first. 

Thats bad actually. Drew, Beard are and never were candidates. Few and miss either.