Hoosiers Over/Under 4 Wins This Season?

12 minutes ago, AlanCashman said:

So many unknowns makes it hard to get a good gauge on this but I don't see more than 4 wins as it stands right now on their schedule.  Maybe some guys will step up and surprise.  

I really think this off season has had a different vibe and I like it. Not a bunch of hyperbole, focused on the basics. I am going to take the over. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So hard to say. Qb play drives so much. I think we have a better team than last year but I’m not sure it will translate into wins. 4 seems about right…but if I had to bet the over or under I guess I bet under because I don’t see 5.

Right now I think the over is actually 3.5. If we somehow beat Louisville, the season gets a bit more interesting. 

• Like 2

Play inspired ball against O$U and build confidence,  especially our defensive line against a suspect Buckeyes O line. Fine tune things with wins against next two opponents. O line learns schemes and builds confidence, nastiness, and cohesiveness. Qb separates himself and develops confidence and leadership. Big win in Indy as Allen and local boys will be inspired. I don't see a Maryland win on the road if qb is healthy, but Rutgers, MSU, Illinois, and Purdue are winnable depending on health and development. 

Optimist in me says 5, although if the wheels fall off again, could be 2 and Allen gets canned. I'm gonna feed the optimist!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Play inspired ball against O$U and build confidence,  especially our defensive line against a suspect Buckeyes O line. Fine tune things with wins against next two opponents. O line learns schemes and builds confidence, nastiness, and cohesiveness. Qb separates himself and develops confidence and leadership. Big win in Indy as Allen and local boys will be inspired. I don't see a Maryland win on the road if qb is healthy, but Rutgers, MSU, Illinois, and Purdue are winnable depending on health and development. 

Optimist in me says 5, although if the wheels fall off again, could be 2 and Allen gets canned. I'm gonna feed the optimist!

I just don't see them paying CTA $20M to walk away. So I don't think he gets canned this year unless they lose every game or win two and are not competitive. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I just don't see them paying CTA $20M to walk away. So I don't think he gets canned this year unless they lose every game or win two and are not competitive. 

100% agree. The canned scenario would require your last example.

I really want to see CTA succeed. I'll need to see more of OC Bell, but I really like the most recent coaching hires. Even 4 wins with a win over Purdue could create some momentum for a more manageable 2024 schedule with a more experienced team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

100% agree. The canned scenario would require your last example.

I really want to see CTA succeed. I'll need to see more of OC Bell, but I really like the most recent coaching hires. Even 4 wins with a win over Purdue could create some momentum for a more manageable 2024 schedule with a more experienced team.

I think this season will show whether CTA really can be the lead guy at a Power 5 school. Zero expectations. 

• Like 3

On 8/21/2023 at 8:32 PM, KDB said:

If we had a returning proven QB I would be very confident this team goes to a bowl game. I think we are a bowl team, but it will all come down to QB play.

Hmm. Bowl team. I’d love it but I don’t see it. I think we have a lot more weaknesses than just qb. Qb will be super important in winning 4 or more games but I don’t have much confidence in our OL/DL winning the line of scrimmage to be a bowl team. Given what I see we would need to be super dynamic on outside (wr/cb/s) to make us competitive in enough games to make a bowl and I don’t see that explosiveness on this team. 

I think we will play hard, be competitive, but just not have enough play making to score enough points to win more than 4 games. A team that will be in most games in the first half but just doesn’t have enough to finish games off.

I think we will have a better running game and more depth and talent on defense.  We lost alot of players on defense but frankly they were a disappointment.  I think we will be more athletic.

If you go from two wins in ‘21, to four wins in ‘22, to five wins this year, while developing young quarterbacks and other young talent, I’d argue you’re headed in the right direction. 

It’s a tough schedule.  If you beat ISU and Akron, you would want to find 3-4 wins out of Louisville, Wisconsin, MSU, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois and Purdue with freshman qb play.   

I am looking at this season as a success if we can set ourselves up for the future with good player development.   

• Like 1

A lot of new transfers with potential and no idea what we get from QB, as others have stated.  Beat ISU and Akron, then need to find three more wins.  Frankly at this point I expect that at a minimum after all this time with CTA.  I think Bell is terrible and he really needs to sell the fanbase (and players) on what he can do.  I’m going with 5 because to me that should be the bare minimum.  Do I expect it, probably not, but to me no reason they shouldn’t win 5.

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

A lot of new transfers with potential and no idea what we get from QB, as others have stated.  Beat ISU and Akron, then need to find three more wins.  Frankly at this point I expect that at a minimum after all this time with CTA.  I think Bell is terrible and he really needs to sell the fanbase (and players) on what he can do.  I’m going with 5 because to me that should be the bare minimum.  Do I expect it, probably not, but to me no reason they shouldn’t win 5.

Not sold on Bell either…but I’ll give him the pass last year on the fact that our O line was absolutely horrendous…