Rutgers Game Thread

KDB

29 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Allen is clearly struggling but my word, I am sure I could dig up posts here calling him Jesus Reincarnate in 2020.

It's a big, complex game.  Nothing is as simple as a one sentence post on a message board

I thought he was our coach for life after 2020 and had no issue with the extension. But man, we had all the momentum in the world in recruiting and the transfer portal and 3 years later, we have are 2-20 in conference play since then. It isn't just an off year or two, this is venturing into Bill Lynch bad territory. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

I thought he was our coach for life after 2020 and had no issue with the extension. But man, we had all the momentum in the world in recruiting and the transfer portal and 3 years later, we have are 2-20 in conference play since then. It isn't just an off year or two, this is venturing into Bill Lynch bad territory. 

I'm not disagreeing - I just find it somewhat comical how quickly the winds can blow to some people.  He couldn't have been so incredible in 2020 that he's so bad now.  Maybe he was worse than we thought then, maybe he's better than it's showing right now, but nuance seems to be a bit lost in these discussions sometimes. 

12 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

This is worse than Bill Lynch imo…we’re close to moving beyond the Levechio/Dinardo  days

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We all need to put presser on the Ad to make a change and make him know this isn't acceptable 

Our buy-out is enormous. I absolutely agree that a change needed to be made yesterday…but I’m worried we’re stuck. However…With that said…can IU even afford another season of Tom Allen? 

Edited by Hoosier987

Easy way to pay for the buyout.  Double the cost of all parking passes.  They were all full today and will co to ie to be while the team sucks.  Make more revenue off the people in the grass lots to get a better team to get them to actually go to the game.

The grass lots were full super early from what I am told.  The bodies are there they just need to give the non diehards a reason to go in

34 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm not disagreeing - I just find it somewhat comical how quickly the winds can blow to some people.  He couldn't have been so incredible in 2020 that he's so bad now.  Maybe he was worse than we thought then, maybe he's better than it's showing right now, but nuance seems to be a bit lost in these discussions sometimes. 

I’ve been here all along saying the Covid year was more a result of other programs not handling the starting and stopping and just the weird nature of that season. Playing in empty stadiums (normal for our home games) and having guys out (we did a great job keeping people healthy that year til the end) all that plus probably the best qb and wr room we’ve had in a long long time played a huge part of all that. 

It’s clear that Allen is not some kind of genius coach…great game planner or have some incredible system…he seems a good motivator and a wonderful leader but he has no direction and no clue how to find talented assistants.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’ve been here all along saying the Covid year was more a result of other programs not handling the starting and stopping and just the weird nature of that season. Playing in empty stadiums (normal for our home games) and having guys out (we did a great job keeping people healthy that year til the end) all that plus probably the best qb and wr room we’ve had in a long long time played a huge part of all that. 

It’s clear that Allen is not some kind of genius coach…great game planner or have some incredible system…he seems a good motivator and a wonderful leader but he has no direction and no clue how to find talented assistants.

You can’t overstate what losing DeBoer and Wommack meant to the program 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Our buy-out is enormous. I absolutely agree that a change needed to be made yesterday…but I’m worried we’re stuck. However…With that said…can IU even afford another season of Tom Allen? 

The buyout is large but will w lose more money by keeping him another year or two. Also the buyout is not one lump sum so I don't think it is as bad as it looks

Look. I like Coach. Knew people from his HS days. Good guy, probably great molder of young kids but it's not working right now. If Dolson thinks one more year is in order to see if we can get the coordinators right I guess I can see it. If not time to find some youth and excitement in this program again.

Right now it seems like we are organizing chairs on the Titanic and I really feel bad for the kids/players. Those are the guys who are busting their tails every single day and right now they aren't getting the best out of the staff.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

5 games vs power 5 teams 

0-5 and outscored 171-55

This just shows we are not even close to competing with better teams.

Yea, that’s a skewed statistic due to the Michigan score. We were one play away from Louisville and played very competitive football v OSU.

I am not saying that the program is even close to being good, but you tend to make over exaggerated statements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yea, that’s a skewed statistic due to the Michigan score. We were one play away from Louisville and played very competitive football v OSU.

I am not saying that the program is even close to being good, but you tend to make over exaggerated statements.

UL 21-14 

PSU 23-3 

Maryland 44-17 that was IU 2 TD's late in the 4th quarter.

UM 52-7 

Rutgers 31-14

So one game where the margin was less than 17 points is exaggerating 

17 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We didn't compete against OSU.  We had 153 yards of total offense and played to keep the game close.