Army Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Sunday, November 12th 7 PM EST

Where: Simon-Skjotd Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: BTN

First year coach Kevin Kuwik leads his Army Black Knights of the Hudson (0-1) into SSAH coming off a loss to Marist 71-55. Army returns 1 starter, native Hoosier (North Central High School) senior Charlie Peterson who averaged 8 ppg and 5 boards for last year's team (17-16 10-8 good for 4th in Patriot League). There are 3 other Hoosier connections...6'2 junior Blake Barker from Columbus, Indiana, 6'10 senior Matt Dove from Princeton, Indiana, and assistant coach Dr Carson Cunningham from Andrean High School in Merrillville, Indiana, and Purdue.

The Black Knights did not play a single P6 team last year.

In their first game, Army started 6'0 freshman Ryan Curry, 6'4 freshman Josh Scovens, 6'3 senior Kwabena Davis, Peterson, and Barker. 

Boxscore from the Marist game...

Screenshot_20231108-071322.thumb.png.5655706aee10a0d2a7efadd81404cc81.png

I think we win this one easily. The Black Knights are undersized and didn't show well vs an inexperienced Marist team. Army did shoot decently from 3 (8-21 38%) but had no inside game and shot FTs worse than we did (13-24 for 54% if you can believe that).

Go Hoosiers! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

First year coach Kevin Kuwik leads his Army Black Knights of the Hudson (0-1) into SSAH coming off a loss to Marist 71-55. Army returns 1 starter, native Hoosier (North Central High School) senior Charlie Peterson who averaged 8 ppg and 5 boards for last year's team (17-16 10-8 good for 4th in Patriot League). There are 3 other Hoosier connections...6'2 junior Blake Barker from Columbus, Indiana, 6'10 senior Matt Dove from Princeton, Indiana, and assistant coach Dr Carson Cunningham from Andrean High School in Merrillville, Indiana, and Purdue.

In their first game, Army started 6'0 freshman Ryan Curry, 6'4 freshman Josh Scovens, 6'3 senior Kwabena Davis, Peterson, and Barker. 

I think we win this one easily. The Black Knights are undersized and didn't show well vs an inexperienced Marist team. Army did shoot decently from 3 (8-21 38%) but had no inside game and shot FTs worse than we did (13-24 for 54% if you can believe that).

Go Hoosiers! 

Can't believe i am just now realizing this. Maybe Army and IU will get together and do something a little more special for RMK?

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Go Hoosiers! 

Yeah, this has the cupcake feel.  Get Banks, Gunn some minutes once we have a lead.  Hopefully, get Sparks minutes too, if he's good to go.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Apparently, none of them have been through sniper training yet.

That’s a memory! Landed in DC with a major blizzard, my passenger co-worker was in the reserves but a Captain in the Rangers! Looking for a street sign he said ‘there it is’, I said ‘how can you read that? I can barely see the sign.’ He said ‘sniper eye!’

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Couple of notes...

Army plays at Stonehill tonight... Stonehill is 0-1 losing 89-44 to George Washington earlier this week...

Kenpom has Stonehill at 350, while Army is at 323 (out of 352)...

And in every Patriot League pre-season preview I could find, Army was picked 10th (last) in all of them... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think 4 of our walk-ons and Tim Garl could beat them... 

Just think about all of our tax dollars that are earmarked for Defense Spending and the Army can't even put a representative basketball team on the court.  Geesh.  Talk about misappropriation of funds.  

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just think about all of our tax dollars that are earmarked for Defense Spending and the Army can't even put a representative basketball team on the court.  Geesh.  Talk about misappropriation of funds.  

The Army did have 2 parachutists land on the field before the Bears game Thursday night. They still have some Public Relations funds left. 

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It does kinda put what Coach was able to do there in perspective...All of the restrictions (height/weight/academics) and he was still able to go 102-50 in his 6 years...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It does kinda put what Coach was able to do there in perspective...All of the restrictions (height/weight/academics) and he was still able to go 102-50 in his 6 years...

Don’t compliment Coach Knight publicly because Coach K might hear you.  He may fling himself on the floor and throw a tantrum since he was on those teams too.  Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1