IU @ Illinois Game Thread

30 minutes ago, loviubb said:

HIRE A BIG TIME COACH!!! SPEND MONEY!! EASIER SAID THAN DONE!! BUT IU SPEND THE MONEY!!! IF NOT ALWAYS BOTTOM FEEDERS!! SORRY BUT HOW I SEE IT!! FOREEVER GO IU!!

Why would anyone worth anything come for career suicide.  I know we are in the big ten but we are at the bottom of the conference with little chance to move up

I think Allen should be retained. I am basing this off of the beliefs that his players love him, that he recruits pretty good talent, and that starting over just sends the program into further turmoil.  The Raider owe $80m to two coaches that aren't coaching. This is why they suck.  The Steelers are on their 3rd coach since 1970.  Keep some continuity in the program, continue to learn and grow as a staff, maintain a clean program that graduates players.....these are things that build something good over the long term. Add to this, Coach Allen is not the reason that we are at a recruiting disadvantage to the likes of Ohio St., Michigan, Penn St., UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon.....  IU should take the money that would be spent on his buyout and go after the best coordinators.  IU might benefit from an approach of trying to be known as the school that produces great offense and defense coordinators who move on to head coaching positions. Allen can be the "guy" that helps groom coaches.  

20 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I think Allen should be retained. I am basing this off of the beliefs that his players love him, that he recruits pretty good talent, and that starting over just sends the program into further turmoil.  The Raider owe $80m to two coaches that aren't coaching. This is why they suck.  The Steelers are on their 3rd coach since 1970.  Keep some continuity in the program, continue to learn and grow as a staff, maintain a clean program that graduates players.....these are things that build something good over the long term. Add to this, Coach Allen is not the reason that we are at a recruiting disadvantage to the likes of Ohio St., Michigan, Penn St., UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon.....  IU should take the money that would be spent on his buyout and go after the best coordinators.  IU might benefit from an approach of trying to be known as the school that produces great offense and defense coordinators who move on to head coaching positions. Allen can be the "guy" that helps groom coaches.  

Pittsburgh keeps continuity because they win every year. I get they have very few years where they were below .500 since the mid 70's.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pittsburgh keeps continuity because they win every year. I get they have very few years where they were below .500 since the mid 70's.

My belief is that continuity brings success, and that success is near impossible without continuity. I could be wrong, of course. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't see keeping a horrible coach who had 3 straight losing seasons for continuity 

I understand why you don't see it. Of course, claiming that he is a horrible coach is subjective. What I outlined above is an argument for why we shouldn't continue to do the same thing every 5 years expecting different results.  Maybe it's time for a different approach. It could be argued that impatient people often end up with poorer outcomes.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He isn’t getting bought out this year. Way too expensive. Rather use the money saved for buying the best Coach money can. If the offense continues like this the rest of the year just maybe next year we could get to a bowl. What’s one more year going to hurt. 

Get to a bowl next year and we are stuck with him even longer.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

He isn’t getting bought out this year. Way too expensive. Rather use the money saved for buying the best Coach money can. If the offense continues like this the rest of the year just maybe next year we could get to a bowl. What’s one more year going to hurt. 

There is plenty of money to buy him out and hire a good coach.  The revenue is off the charts for the TV contract now.  As long as they let the money stay with football and don’t give it to the geology dept again.

I don’t think Coach Allen get bought out this year either. To expensive and it’s not they can’t come up with the money, they don’t want to give the money up. 
I like the ideal of, let’s go get really good asst coaches a coordinators! Spend that money for top recruiters. Fill up NIL pot get some players. 
As frustrated as I get I’m still hopelessly a Hoosier fan in all sports! 
Coach Allen, needs to hold his coordinator’s accountable. Maybe he is ,but why wasn’t the defense ready to play Illinois. We know what we needed to do to go bowling. The Defense lays an egg. This can’t happen! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hoopsta007 said:

Get to a bowl next year and we are stuck with him even longer.  

That's the thing. We all know the schedule lightens up considerably next year but if we make a bowl it's going to be pretty tough to fire him.

I know $ is brought up about the decision whether to dismiss Allen or not. I think $ influencing the decision is old IU not the current leadership. 

The pass defense yesterday was totally indefensible.  Missed communications as a regular occurrence this late in the season is utterly ridiculous.  It’s been happening all year.  Yes, there are young guys back there but there are vets too and some talent.   

Beyond the miscommunication issues, the scheme was way too loose.  They played off a ton wanting to keep them in front and it simply didn’t work. Not only did they make ordinary guys pitch and catch guys, they got behind the D regularly anyway, and when they weren’t, it was 2nd and 1.   When a 6’0 180 lb qb from Ball State lights you up for half a thousand yards, there has to be adjustments and mixing it up to confuse him.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno

The offense is operating much better and 45 points tells you that.  The best part is we are looking at a young, tough, physical QB taking a stranglehold on the job and emerging.   Winning a lot with a freshman QB was always fantasy and I’ve said from the beginning that this is a developmental year.  The good news is the QB is developing substantially.  He has put a lot of snaps on tape which bodes well for his off-season development.  

If we can get a couple of linemen and a couple of backs in the portal, it would do a lot for 2024.  Get a MAC back like when Steele went to UCLA, and get an explosive P5 back who is a number 2 somewhere else.  Our running backs right now are very pedestrian and we need more than one addition.  I like Howland in the mix but you need a couple of better vets to go with him.  Not another Shivers or Turner.  Upgrades.  Under Kevin Wilson we had multiple good backs every year.  We can do it.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1