Louisville Post Game Thread

KDB

23 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

He’s not allowed to have an opinion that he’s not comfortable with the general opinions??

Sure, of course. Doesn't seem very productive though, but just my opinion. 

He can post what he wants. Hes a great, longtime poster and valued member of HSN.

Just seems incredibly more productive, for example, to explain how you think CJ Gunn will figure it out and contribute more, as opposed to telling people to stop talking about what CJ Gunn could do to figure it out. 

But again, it's all fair game. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know, I respect you, and your opinion on many things...

But that's not even a valid example... People saying we're not finishing .500 when we did (by a lot) is simply pointing out the truth...

I make predictions occasionally... I like to forecast the Big 10 and the players I think can take a leap to the next level, and I've been wrong (Andre Curbelo anyone?)... I'll own that...

But I do base it on more than a 4 game (or even 16 game, which was where we were after PSU) sample... 

A ton of respect for you as well! The vast majority of the conversations, in my opinion, have been productive and analytical on what people would like to see. 

Always some extremes and that most likely won't stop. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know, I respect you, and your opinion on many things...

But that's not even a valid example... People saying we're not finishing .500 when we did (by a lot) is simply pointing out the truth...

I make predictions occasionally... I like to forecast the Big 10 and the players I think can take a leap to the next level, and I've been wrong (Andre Curbelo anyone?)... I'll own that...

But I do base it on more than a 4 game (or even 16 game, which was where we were after PSU) sample... 

Wanted to add that I love your pregrame threads! You're an incredibly valued member of the HSN community and always respect your opinions! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's an example of how being a fan works

October: 5fouls says "I'll be happy if we go 22-9 during the regular season" 

November-February: The team goes 22-9.  5fouls is frustrated or downright mad about 8 of the 9 losses and unhappy with the team's performance in 12 of the 22 wins.  He grumbles "We easily could have been 27-4"

March: 5fouls enjoys the ride, however far it goes.

April:  5fouls reflects:  "The team did good.  22-9 was not a bad year."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I love IU basketball, and I care for the players...and that's the truth... Dating back to the Van Arsdale twins (and I wish Woody would start reaching out to some of those 60s players ... They're part of this too)

Why were people so up in arms last year when that twit Tim Weaver wrote that letter to Trayce? Why did anyone beside Trayce 's immediate family care?

Because it was an unfair portrayal of him... Just like the generic "we suck" is unfair to our current kids... 

We all love IU basketball, but comparing a college basketball player to a child is just an awful comparison.

I would have a problem with a stranger coming up to my child and telling them they suck, but I'd also have a problem with a stranger fawning over my child.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I don't expect that at all... But shoveling dirt on a warm body, especially with as many kids as we have in new roles is irritating to me... Happened last year too, but of course when people are proven wrong it's simply dismissed... 

I mean, do you want us to bring up the fact that you wanted to keep Archie all the time? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean, do you want us to bring up the fact that you wanted to keep Archie all the time? 

That's fine... I said at the time if that what Scott Dolson and the administration wanted to do it, I was onboard...

My main reason was I didn't think they could pay the $10 million dollar buyout, and I thought he deserved another year based on COVID and all of the problems that that caused (including the fact that when the season was shut down, we were by all accounts in the tournament)

So you can bring it up any time you feel like it...

By the same token let it be noted that I was one of the first (not to mention the few) who were on board with the hiring of Mike Woodson... 

Edited by IUFLA

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We all love IU basketball, but comparing a college basketball player to a child is just an awful comparison.

I would have a problem with a stranger coming up to my child and telling them they suck, but I'd also have a problem with a stranger fawning over my child.

I have a 39 year old daughter that competes in local martial arts competitions...

If someone came up to her after a match and told her "you suck" I'd get at them (assuming of course she wasn't already kicking their ass) 

It's a smear any way you slice it... Not an "opinion."

Walk up to the next guy you see on the street and say it to him... I'm sure he won't consider it an "opinion."

But you might want to duck... 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here's an example of how being a fan works

October: 5fouls says "I'll be happy if we go 22-9 during the regular season" 

November-February: The team goes 22-9.  5fouls is frustrated or downright mad about 8 of the 9 losses and unhappy with the team's performance in 12 of the 22 wins.  He grumbles "We easily could have been 27-4"

March: 5fouls enjoys the ride, however far it goes.

April:  5fouls reflects:  "The team did good.  22-9 was not a bad year."

Good example.

But all I know is that you suck.😝😝🤪

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess everyone just needs to put in my opinion before every thing you post. It is a message boards so everything we say is our opinion and not a fact, unless you say something like IU has 5 banners and Purdue has none.

Do like they do in the South, you can say anything you like about someone as long as you finish with “bless their heart “

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess everyone just needs to put in my opinion before every thing you post. It is a message boards so everything we say is our opinion and not a fact, unless you say something like IU has 5 banners and Purdue has none.

...we need an "IMO" emoji....There's a thinking one, but it's not the same......lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I have a 39 year old daughter that competes in local martial arts competitions...

If someone came up to her after a match and told her "you suck" I'd get at them (assuming of course she wasn't already kicking their ass) 

It's a smear any way you slice it... Not an "opinion."

Walk up to the next guy you see on the street and say it to him... I'm sure he won't consider it an "opinion."

But you might want to duck... 

This is the post you provided to me when I asked you for examples of when Stink or Suck were used. 

image.png.f9b7cfe231a7caa96caf32f118e0c92b.png

That comment is made generically to represent an OPINION of a collective group (the IU Team).  It is not singling out a player, or a coach.  Nobody walked up to anyone's family member and said that.

So, let's take this outside the sports world.  Have you ever in your life had a bad experience at a restaurant and on the way home your wife said "The service there stunk".  And maybe you responded with "My chicken parmesan was overcooked."  Ever have that type of conversation?  And then, maybe you get home and your buddy Larry stops by.  He asks how dinner was, and you fill him in on the whole experience with the bad service and the overcooked chicken.  Your final remark to Larry on the subject was. "basically, the whole meal sucked."

You ever have conversations like that among friends and family (yes, I think of HSN on those terms)?  If you have had those types of conversations, whether it be about dinner, a movie, a shopping experience, or someone's gaudy Christmas directions, then explain to me how you having those conversations differs from a poster on here saying "dang.  we really do stink" when we fall behind Louisville in a basketball game?

I'm really interested in your thoughts on that.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

But, Purdue can counter that with a Helms championship.  :coffee:

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

This is the post you provided to me when I asked you for examples of when Stink or Suck were used. 

image.png.f9b7cfe231a7caa96caf32f118e0c92b.png

That comment is made generically to represent an OPINION to a collective group (the IU Team).  It is not singling out a player, or a coach.  Nobody walked up to anyone's family member and said that.

So, let's take this outside the sports world.  Have you ever in your life had a bad experience at a restaurant and on the way home she said "The service there stunk".  And maybe you responded with "My chicken parmesan was overcooked."  Ever have that type of conversation?  And then, maybe you get home and your buddy Larry stops by.  He asks how dinner was, and you fill him in on the whole experience with the bad service and the overcooked chicken.  Your final remark to Larry on the subject was. "basically, the whole meal sucked."

You ever have conversations like that among friends and family (yes, I think of HSN on those terms)?  If you have had those types of conversations, whether it be about dinner, a movie, a shopping experience, or someone's gaudy Christmas directions, then explain to me how you having those conversations differs from a poster on here saying "dang.  we really do stink" when we fall behind Louisville in a basketball game?

I'm really interested in your thoughts on that.  

Dinner, movies, shopping, and Christmas decorations aren't kids who bust their asses for my enjoyment... 

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Dinner, movies, shopping, and Christmas decorations aren't kids who bust their asses for my enjoyment... 

The waitress at the restaurant isn't a young person (often a teenager), working for minimum wage, working their ass off to serve YOU a good meal?  Provide you an ENJOYABLE meal on a night out with your wife?  Basketball players should be held in higher regard than waitresses, cooks, store clerks, etc?

I think we found the root of our problem.

• Like 2