Louisville Post Game Thread

KDB

28 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I can tell you as a head coach it’s my responsibility to make adjustments as necessary but also listen to my assistant coach/coaches/players if they have adjustments and decide. The issue is Woodson self admittedly isn’t a zone guy but the issue is your team currently isn’t a man to man team. They struggle badky with it and as head coach it’s his responsibility to put them in a position of strength. IMO his man to man has been an issue since he’s been here. He needs to be the one to figure out what he wants this primary defense to be. If it’s man to man then great but he needs to work for hours upon hours upon hours until they figure it out. 

I think you are on to somthing that is hard for an individual coach, and many fans to accept. You may have the best process that has ever been developed by human kind, but if 1) your kids can't understand it 2) you can't find a teaching mode to get them to understand it, then it doesn't work (maybe yet).

Until they can "get" and master quantum physics, maybe start with some basic math while they score a shit ton of points in the offense. While teaching them time travel.

38 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I think you are on to somthing that is hard for an individual coach, and many fans to accept. You may have the best process that has ever been developed by human kind, but if 1) your kids can't understand it 2) you can't find a teaching mode to get them to understand it, then it doesn't work (maybe yet).

Until they can "get" and master quantum physics, maybe start with some basic math while they score a shit ton of points in the offense. While teaching them time travel.

1000% I had to do that with my current team I coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

First question, I have no idea... I don't watch too much NFL football... I do know he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB back when Brady got injured in like 2005 or so... Did his coaching decline coincide with Brady leaving? Don't know...

As far as Woody goes, I don't see a lot to complain about... He has his way of coaching, and he's been successful here... People can pick at it, but like I said, I'd love to see some of them sit down in a forum with him and try to keep up... He'd probably say something like he said about sportswriters asking about Mgbako...

As far as leadership goes, in my eyes, he's been about as good as you can be... 

His problem isn't coaching it is his player evaluation that has been Hoodies downfall. They should take the GM job from him and just let him coach

• Thanks 1

We had to go zone because our Johnson couldn’t keep theirs in front of him. He was killing X out front leading to all those dish and easy scores during UL’s run. When we switched defense, that all stopped. 

Good call by coach switching it up, but our on ball perimeter defense has some work to do. My humble opinion, obviously. 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’m curious how different we are if Newton is healthy. Not sure if he was ready to contribute and not sure if he was a 3 pt threat but I do know he is an aggressive freakish athlete with no fear and we need that. He seems like a kid who would go get us a backup and not think twice.

I watched Newton in high school, and I don't think he's a big time knockdown shooter... Slasher is what I saw... Strong kid that can finish through contact...

Defensively is where he could contribute right away... Quick, strong, with long arms... but like other college freshmen, he's gotta learn to play at the college level... 

Edited by IUFLA

33 minutes ago, IUKane21 said:

We had to go zone because our Johnson couldn’t keep theirs in front of him. He was killing X out front leading to all those dish and easy scores during UL’s run. When we switched defense, that all stopped. 

Good call by coach switching it up, but our on ball perimeter defense has some work to do. My humble opinion, obviously. 😉

It was more the bigs not hedging enough and/or Woodson not having them blitz the ball handler. 

But the way we were playing it, the bigs were staying flat and not forcing Louisville's Johnson 🤣 horizontal or back towards halfcourt, and instead were letting him turn the corner and get downhill. 

Not much XJ could really do about it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I watched Newton in high school, and I don't think he's a big time knockdown shooter... Slasher is what I saw... Strong kid that can finish through contact...

Defensively is where he could contribute right away... Quick, strong, with long arms... but like other college freshmen, he's gotta learn to play at the college level... 

thanks appreciate it!

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

It wasn't on a dead sprint though... XJ threw it when CJ was on a dead sprint, then CJ slowed down for no reason at all. 

13:35... CJ goes and gets alligator arms and slows down... only reason it looked like he over threw him. 

Ok, first @BGleas uses video evidence to prove me wrong and now you....when did this become a place where facts and proof are used to make a point and not irrational arguments and baseless hills to die on!? 

I already ate my crow on that one, thanks. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Ok, first @BGleas uses video evidence to prove me wrong and now you....when did this become a place where facts and proof are used to make a point and not irrational arguments and baseless hills to die on!? 

I already ate my crow on that one, thanks. 😁

Fair! 

🤣🤣🤣 my apologies 

Go Hoosiers! 

19 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Didn't Coach Knight once say that if a player helps his team win just one game, he's earned his scholarship?

I'm not sure on that one, but I'm recent weeks I heard a line from Knight that was essentially, "every player on the team has the same role...to impact winning."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

It was more the bigs not hedging enough and/or Woodson not having them blitz the ball handler. 

But the way we were playing it, the bigs were staying flat and not forcing Louisville's Johnson 🤣 horizontal or back towards halfcourt, and instead were letting him turn the corner and get downhill. 

Not much XJ could really do about it. 

Our team should watch film of Tennessee defending the screen in the PU game. It was a night and day difference from what we saw against Louisville.

• Like 2