Potential HC Candidates

KDB

19 minutes ago, DireBump said:

This should’ve been our guy. Losing out on coaches from the Midwest to Mountain West teams is not ideal.

How are we losing out on him?  Did IU interview and offer him the job and he said pass?  If so, then yeah I would say we lost out on him.  Seems, like a candidate you liked, but maybe IU never really even pursued.  I wouldn't take that as losing out.

Guess we lost out on Nick Saban too.  Can't believe he would chose to stay in Alabama rather than Bloomington.  

Edited by SpiderMonkey
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I understand that. I just don't believe he is qualified to take over as head coach at a P5 school at this time.

I'd be okay with Hart. Frye has been an OC at OSU and UCLA.  Better resume' but Hart could be a Mike Tomlin type guy. If you hire a non-head coach then it should be from a big time program.  If you hire a head coach from smaller school then I would like to see sustained success over many years preferably at different places. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I get the feeling some of you guys would be against hiring Mike McDaniel because he's never been a head coach in college.

I am willing to bet most programs wouldn't have hired him though. And in the NFL these days, they aren't so shy about canning guys after one or two years. Little bit harder to do that in college especially at IU. They shouldn't be risk adverse, but I do think they have to hire someone with a lot of DC/OC/HC experience. I will be weirdly optimistic no matter who they hire because I tend to think sports are more fun when you think you're team will be better or do well regardless of what might be most realistic. Everyone bashing Dolson needs to let this play out first. I think he's done a pretty good job myself. People ripping the Woodson hire tend to forget where IU was during and after Archie. We stunk. Woody righted the ship, and hopefully levels so he can hand off the baton to a "sexier" hire who should be walking into a better situation. Who knows, maybe it's Stevens (again). 

• Like 2

I truly doubt Herman is giving us a look.

JMO 

Maybe Candle?.. man I'd make IU give me the world, if I were him, and considering taking the job. But, also, someone would have to pay us handsomely if Candle were to be hired away in the first 3 years. 

Guys it's the worst power 5 job. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JMO 

Maybe Candle?.. man I'd make IU give me the world, if I were him, and considering taking the job. But, also, someone would have to pay us handsomely if Candle were to be hired away in the first 3 years. 

It's a toss up between us and Vanderbilt. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JMO 

Yes. Yes it is. Especially right now, today. 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JMO 

No way to sugarcoat our disastrous history. But if you take into account potential and possibility, coupled with an unwavering commitment to seeing better results, I can come up with several programs -- easily -- that would rank behind IU.

NC State, Iowa St, Vanderbilt, Duke, Illinois, Northwestern, Oregon St, Washington St, Minnesota

42 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

How are we losing out on him?  Did IU interview and offer him the job and he said pass?  If so, then yeah I would say we lost out on him.  Seems, like a candidate you liked, but maybe IU never really even pursued.  I wouldn't take that as losing out.

Guess we lost out on Nick Saban too.  Can't believe he would chose to stay in Alabama rather than Bloomington.  

I thought he would be a good fit as he has been the only candidate brought up that can actually scheme an offense creative enough for us to win games. Especially given how hard it is for us to recruit. He was listed as one of the guys we scheduled an interview with. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

No way to sugarcoat our disastrous history. But if you take into account potential and possibility, coupled with an unwavering commitment to seeing better results, I can come up with several programs -- easily -- that would rank behind IU.

NC State, Iowa St, Vanderbilt, Duke, Illinois, Northwestern, Oregon St, Washington St, Minnesota

Show me and I'll listen... where can we draw that from? 

Where does Kansas State get their kids from? How do they convince them to go there? ... what offseason, everything, do they do?  

And I don't agree with Iowa St being on that list. Matt Campbell is awesome. Nor Minny. I understand it's a whole outlook you're talking about, but MC at ISU trumps our potential, imo. I'd take him. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They are in Tennessee, and very close to GA, AL, and MS which all have football players galore. And NC. 

Sorry, but I disagree. If we are just going off records?.. does that favor IU, I have never looked. 

I'm not trying to be antagonistic by repeatedly quoting you...

But I feel the regionality of players doesn't matter as much as it did in the past. Of course there will be local favoritism, but with the expansion of conferences from coast to coast, where good players grow up doesn't equate to where they land.

IU has repeatedly recruited Florida with a passion.

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JMO 

Vanderbilt is worse. Same lack of success with much higher academic standards 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

NC State and Minnesota are way better jobs than Indiana.