Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Just a general question for the board. Which team or teams will have the most success vs us? Because right now I don't see any team in Big 10 challenging us down low if Malik/Ware/Mack continue to develop.....is it just a 3 point team? I'm all ears. Would like to know the opinions.

I haven’t watched enough of the other big ten teams to know that yet. Purdue obviously has the size and shooting and they are just good. I would say any team that can make 10 plus threes against us at a 35 plus percent clip has a better than average chance. I think our front line is awfully athletic and impressive and the more they play with eachother, the better they look. We have some muscle off the bench too. Ware is so long. I’ll go back to what I said. If we could find a way to make 6-7 threes a game. We would be in every game. 

• Like 1

Really solid win! Maryland isn't all that good, but we've been asking for this team to take care of business in games like this, especially at home, and they did it! 

I really like Galloway running the point. He's a calming influence many times, he played well, with energy and made good decisions. I like him in this role.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Really solid win! Maryland isn't all that good, but we've been asking for this team to take care of business in games like this, especially at home, and they did it! 

I really like Galloway running the point. He's a calming influence many times, he played well, with energy and made good decisions. I like him in this role.

When X comes back, I hope we see more of Galloway initiating the offense. I think that can show both of their strengths. Galloway as a distributor, X hopefully getting more spot up 3s.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Kdug said:

When X comes back, I hope we see more of Galloway initiating the offense. I think that can show both of their strengths. Galloway as a distributor, X hopefully getting more spot up 3s.

Yeah, it kind of makes sense at times. XJ is a scorer so take him off the ball some.

I think that's partly why the Cupps, XJ, Galloway lineup was so effective early on, because XJ could score and not have to run things.  

• Like 1

first and hopefully only games i'll miss this season, so i just read the game thread and this one.  just happy to start 1-0 in conference.  of course home vs MD is one that we absolutely had to have.  starting to wonder if we're better in some ways without XJ.  sorry.  i said it.  extremely happy to see that NW beat the SMELLERMAKERS!

• Like 4

Mgbako continues to gain confidence. He’s been really engaged the last couple of games. I suspect he will only get better. 

Sparks looks unplayable. He’s 3-15 from free throws. He was all freshman in Mac. Really shows the difference in big man play between mid major and high major.

Maryland is not a good team. How many air balls did we see them produce? At least 2 on one possession. 

Glad we took care of business. Nice win to start conference. Grabbing a win at Michigan would be awesome.

Edited by Hoosier987

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Interesting stat from last night...

IU's starting lineup had a combined 72 starts in college basketball games...

Maryland's had 312 combined starts in college basketball games including 2 players (Scott and Young) who had over 120+ starts apiece at the college level...

Two of Maryland's starters (Reese and Young) were preseason all Big 10 selections...IU did have any...Yet, of course since we walloped them, they aren't any good 🙄

Just wanted to fill up the thread a bit...The people who usually just come to gripe don't have the capacity I guess to give Mike Woodson and this team some credit...

It's gonna be a fun year...

It's gonna be a fun year... and I always look forward to your stats. 🙂

Edited by Officer Obie
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Mgbako continues to gain confidence. He’s been really engaged the last couple of games. I suspect he will only get better. 

Sparks looks unplayable. He’s 3-15 from free throws. He was all freshman in Mac. Really shows the difference in big man play between mid major and high major.

Maryland is not a good team. How many air balls did I see them produce? At least 2 on one possession. 

Sparks seems like he just needs to relax a bit. He always seems too pumped and that's not helping him stay in the game mentally. There was one sequence where he fouled a MD player and they got into it a bit. Then on the ensuing FT, he had a lane violation. 

I didn't see him play at BSU, was he this emotional/excitable there? He obviously wasn't when it came time to shoot FT as he was much better there than he is at IU so far.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Interesting stat from last night...

IU's starting lineup had a combined 72 starts in college basketball games...

Maryland's had 312 combined starts in college basketball games including 2 players (Scott and Young) who had over 120+ starts apiece at the college level...

Two of Maryland's starters (Reese and Young) were preseason all Big 10 selections...IU didn't have any...Yet, of course since we walloped them, they aren't any good 🙄

Just wanted to fill up the thread a bit...The people who usually just come to gripe don't have the capacity I guess to give Mike Woodson and this team some credit...

It's gonna be a fun year...

The lack of respect by the talking heads is understandable considering we have 10 new players, but we are much better than we’re getting credit for - KenPom has us at 68. We’ll see, but I expect us to be solidly in the Top 25 by year’s end.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Officer Obie said:

It's gonna be fun year, and I always look forward to your stats. 🙂

Thanks...I posted that to show the experience difference, and how ridiculous it is to say that Maryland is "no good." They might not be playing well right now (and last night, we had something to do with that) but they have talent and much more experience than what we put out on the floor...

On our side, I see a team that is gaining confidence by the game...I see a kid, Ware, that had so many knocks against him playing like a contender for Big 10 PoY. Some talking heads said he was "soft' and "a finesse player" but I see a quiet, unassuming kid that has thrived under Woody, wants to be part of something big, and plays physical basketball. And he's damn good at it...

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

As long as Sparks can beat the living crap out of opposing players down low to help Ware play his game away from the basket, I'm cool with the bad free throws. I just hope a game never depends on him making one. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Officer Obie said:

As long as Sparks can beat the living crap out of opposing players down low to help Ware play his game away from the basket, I'm cool with the bad free throws. I just hope a game never depends on him making one. 😀

Exactly, we’ll need him to pound away at Edey, so Ware can do his thing.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1

It is good seeing the team getting better game by game and that is all you can ask for. It is so great seeing Ware playing so well after all of the the off season doubt about him.  It looks looks to me MM is gaining more confidence and if he keeps improving it will make this team harder to beat 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Thanks...I posted that to show the experience difference, and how ridiculous it is to say that Maryland is "no good." They might not be playing well right now (and last night, we had something to do with that) but they have talent and much more experience than what we put out on the floor...

On our side, I see a team that is gaining confidence by the game...I see a kid, Ware, that had so many knocks against him playing like a contender for Big 10 PoY. Some talking heads said he was "soft' and "a finesse player" but I see a quiet, unassuming kid that has thrived under Woody, wants to be part of something big, and plays physical basketball. And he's damn good at it...

Right now, Woody looks like 100X the developer than Calimari (and for that matter, Dana Altman) is.

BUT...it was a home game, which seems to mean about 30 points for IU's recent teams.  Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves here.

• Like 2