Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

Really solid performance for 32 minutes. The last 8 were sketchy, but that can happen when you get up big. Only thing missing tonight was the ability of our guards to knock down perimeter shots. Thought the D was much better, didn’t give up too many open threes. Think Leal earned some more time, Gunn and Sparks struggled.  With that said, Maryland is BAD.  Felt bad for Gerronimo… seemed to always be a good kid, but he really struggled tonight. *Correction on my part from the game thread - the bald-headed official was not Kip Kissinger or DJ Carstensen. I’m a fan of Carstensen. 😂

We need to carry the same effort and intensity into Ann Arbor to have a shot at winning. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Really solid performance for 32 minutes. The last 8 were sketchy, but that can happen when you get up big. Only thing missing tonight was the ability of our guards to knock down perimeter shots. Thought the D was much better, didn’t give up too many open threes. Think Leal earned some more time, Gunn and Sparks struggled.  With that said, Maryland is BAD.  Felt bad for Gerronimo… seemed to always be a good kid, but he really struggled tonight. *Correction on my part from the game thread - the bald-headed official was DJ Carstensen. He’s always been pretty bad.*

We need to carry the same effort and intensity into Ann Arbor to have a shot at winning. 

Carstensen wasn't out there tonight... 

Screenshot_20231201-203853.thumb.png.96320a0f58dd9d45806e34081c4b830a.png

I think DJ is one of the better Big 10 refs... Much better than Larry Scirrotto or Courtney Green

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Carstensen wasn't out there tonight... 

Screenshot_20231201-203853.thumb.png.96320a0f58dd9d45806e34081c4b830a.png

I think DJ is one of the better Big 10 refs... Much better than Larry Scirrotto or Courtney Green

Damn, double correction on my part. My official buddy was eye-balling it and told me it was him. But now that you pointed it out, I didn’t feel like I recognized that guy. All I know is that he wasn’t very good, couldn’t run up and down the court well. 

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

Damn, double correction on my part. My official buddy was eye-balling it and told me it was him. But now that you pointed it out, I didn’t feel like I recognized that guy. All I know is that he wasn’t very good, couldn’t run up and down the court well. 

Yeah, he was terrible... I thought he was the one who called the 2 bogus travels on Malik...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, he was terrible... I thought he was the one who called the 2 bogus travels on Malik...

I actually like Carstensen too (he’s also a taller bald-headed guy). They mic’d him up a couple times last year.  I agree he’s one of the better ones in the league. I got confused on names tonight. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

Two quick observations from the game:

1.  When Sparks first came into the game UM was shooting a free throw.  When the ball went up, he immediately hip checked his man into last Wednesday.  I literally laughed out loud.

2.  Assembly Hall is a real B!tc# if you scorn her.  She was so deep in between Geronimo’s ears, I suspect he will have nightmares for weeks.  Haven’t seen anything like that since Sean May came back to town.

• Like 3

As previously stated last 8 mins pretty ugly. Mgbako looks sooo much more comfortable now compared to the first few games. Starting to see the talent. And he isn’t afraid to mix it up down low for rebounds. Biggest difference in the game was hustle and winning the 50/50 rebounds and loose balls. 

Galloway played great. Ware was impressive. I agree with Scott. We are 1 guard away (not x) from being a good team. I honestly thought we did better without him and his emotional/whining to the ref plays. But it is evident that when we need a ball handler or someone to get to the hoop he is missed. When he keeps his emotions in check he’s an all conference guard. 

overall happy with the performance for sure. Offense looked smooth and we didn’t really have to force any junk until later in the game and it showed. Need to being that hustle and want to every game and we will be in most of them. 

• Like 1