Michigan Post Game Thread

KDB

5 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I didn’t see his second three (tucking my 6 year old in bed) was it a set 3 or coming off a screen where he shot 27 feet in the air (exaggerating of course) lol 

Secondary transition. Got his feet set, ready to go on the wing and let it fly. Minimal jumping. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

With commercials you can't skip. What a crock we're paying for.

That was not my experience. Were there different levels of subscriptions? I use Firefox with my adblocker on (despite their warnings that I needed to turn it off, things worked just fine with it on) and it showed zero ads in the replay. Even live, it just had an annoying we will be back logo and no ads.

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

CJ Gunn is tied for 6th in the conference in steals (13) in 13 minutes per game 😯

Out of the 10 other players above him or tied with him, all but 3, Lance Jones (26) Evan Mahaffey (21) and Ty Berry (28) average over 30 mpg... 

It’s not a fluke.  He’s long and active.  Calming down on his shot too.   Investing in him may pay off.  His length with mobility is not that common.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It’s not a fluke.  He’s long and active.  Calming down on his shot too.   Investing in him may pay off.  His length with mobility is not that common.  

That's still wishful thinking to say he's calming down on his shot. He launched a crazy mid-range jumper that would have been a great shot for Kobe, but was terrible for him. Two made 3's doesn't convince me he's found his range. The rest of his game is really coming along, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

That's still wishful thinking to say he's calming down on his shot. He launched a crazy mid-range jumper that would have been a great shot for Kobe, but was terrible for him. Two made 3's doesn't convince me he's found his range. The rest of his game is really coming along, though.

The shot 11:39 in the 1st half? That's the only mid range jumper I remember him taking. 

I guess I am confused why that's considered a crazy shot when you're this open.. 

Screenshot_20231206-143334_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

One observation about the game last night (and our overall post play): the thing I love about our interior passing is how it helps negate the challenges of the 2-3 zone. Normally, we would be bricking 3s from over the top, but the fact that we can get the ball inside, and both Ware & Reneau (and others) can pass underneath, totally helps to carve that zone up from the inside.

It's not perfect, and at times Reneau becomes a black hole, but there is serious ball movement which will open things up for shots and driving angles.

Great point. I don't fear the zone even though we can't shoot. Until a Team figures out to play zone with everybody inside the lane I don't think we have much to worry about

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

The shot 11:39 in the 1st half? That's the only mid range jumper I remember him taking. 

I guess I am confused why that's considered a crazy shot when you're this open.. 

Screenshot_20231206-143334_Chrome.jpg

I don't have time to re-watch that one right now, but that's very possibly it. Is that a shot you want him to take? Has he made shots from there more than 10% of the time? Even if that's him catching the ball right there, I don't want him shooting it, but I remember it as him driving to that spot, elevating and looking just like Kobe right up until you see the flight of the ball. Again, great shot for Kobe to take, pretty good shot for JHS to take, I wish Kopp would have taken those. Terrible shot for Gunn. 

Just now, HoosierDom said:

I don't have time to re-watch that one right now, but that's very possibly it. Is that a shot you want him to take? Has he made shots from there more than 10% of the time? Even if that's him catching the ball right there, I don't want him shooting it, but I remember it as him driving to that spot, elevating and looking just like Kobe right up until you see the flight of the ball. Again, great shot for Kobe to take, pretty good shot for JHS to take, I wish Kopp would have taken those. Terrible shot for Gunn. 

Guess we'll agree to disagree.  That's ok.  

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Guess we'll agree to disagree.  That's ok.  

When you were watching for the first time, you felt good that we were about to get a bucket? If you did, then I'm good with agreeing to disagree, but I'd be absolutely shocked if he's been as high as 20% on that shot at this point in his IU career.

19 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I would counter that Gunn NEEDS to take these shots in games to develop confidence. I have no problem with him shooting this because with each attempt, he's getting more comfortable.

The Kobe you/others refer to when talking about a good jump shooter, took THOUSANDS of shots in games over the course of his career. They are shots taken in situations that you can't always replicate in isolation over the summer or in practice. The more Gunn (and others) get comfortable shooting in higher-pressure situations, the better they will be.

Just my opinion.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

When you were watching for the first time, you felt good that we were about to get a bucket? If you did, then I'm good with agreeing to disagree, but I'd be absolutely shocked if he's been as high as 20% on that shot at this point in his IU career.

Yeah and before last night he was 2-28 from 3 in college and hit 2/3.. 🤷‍♂️

I'm saying...

it's an above average look for a D1 player.. 

If CJ Gunn is ever going to consistently help us, he should be shooting that shot 100/100. 

I loved the aggressiveness. Shot selection doesn't bother me the way it does some. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

That was not my experience. Were there different levels of subscriptions? I use Firefox with my adblocker on (despite their warnings that I needed to turn it off, things worked just fine with it on) and it showed zero ads in the replay. Even live, it just had an annoying we will be back logo and no ads.

Glad it worked for you. I couldn't get the live feed with my ad blocker on. Haven't tried turning on ad blocker for the replay. I'll try that. Thanx

So instead of working and improving your game, which may include rough moments in games, we should ask CJ and others to just not do anything they aren't already great at?

That wreaks of stagnation. 

It's a game of confidence. Failures and learning.

If this is our view, we need to just be sure Mgbako doesn't shoot anymore 3's. 🤦‍♂️

You have to allow players to play, learn and grow sometimes.

• Like 6