This is not insignificant

Was at the game.  IU may have had more fans but it was close.  Having their band and cheerleaders sure made it feel more like an Auburn home game though.  It was definitely an advantage for them.  I'm sure Dolson(who was there) will use money, distance or finals as his excuse.  It was a bad look and yes the IU fans there noticed long before we collapsed after 10 minutes.  Our fans that come to see these destination/neutral site games spend a lot of money to attend. Most have come to expect our cheerleaders, the pep band, all the flags and pregame pep rallys.  We got nothing and a terrible performance by the team.  No we probably still lose this game no matter but still... it just seemed like a half ass'd effort all around by IU.  Sorry but we should be all in for IU basketball in every facet.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Our band was probably not invited.  I dont recall a sporting event where both bands were present.

We dont have a mascot.

Do I care about dance squads?  No, I do not.

No cheerleaders. I'll concede the point that the cheerleaders maybe should have been there.  

Back when I was at IU (20 years ago), both bands were usually at tournament games (big ten / ncaa) and at least some neurtal site games because IU band used to go to Rupp Arena when we used to play Kensucky.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Back when I was at IU (20 years ago), both bands were usually at tournament games (big ten / ncaa) and at least some neurtal site games because IU band used to go to Rupp Arena when we used to play Kensucky.

It costs money to get all that other support there.  Auburn could put them on some busses and we probably would have to fly them and their equipment down.

The University probably felt it was more cost effective to not send all them down there.  An accountant could probably make that argument.  Someone doing PR would probably argue differently.  Also, just want to add that if we had won the game, none of this other stuff would be talked about at all.  When things go bad on the court it tends to accentuate the negatives everywhere else.  "I spent several thousand dollars to see my team get blown out by nearly 30, look like they gave up, and the school couldn't even send the $#@$%&^ cheerleaders to the game?"  That sentiment takes hold really quick when you have 50 to 60% of the people at the game with you whooping it up.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Could this simply be distilled to Auburn is 90 minutes from Atlanta..?

For the schools, yes.  For the fans it is simply this: the team got their @$$ kicked and that made for a bad event (from an IU fan perspective).  Once that narrative starts to play then everything else you had a problem with that day gets amplified exponentially.

If we won or the game was a hard fought and close loss, nobody is talking about cheerleaders.  Negativity tends to compound.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

For the schools, yes.  For the fans it is simply this: the team got their @$$ kicked and that made for a bad event (from an IU fan perspective).  Once that narrative starts to play then everything else you had a problem with that day gets amplified exponentially.

If we won or the game was a hard fought and close loss, nobody is talking about cheerleaders.  Negativity tends to compound.

We're you at the game?  I was.  Believe me, IU fans were talking about no band and no cheerleaders well before tip off and long before we started getting our asses handed to us.  If you were there you would have seen the advantage Auburn had with the home court feel.  I'm sure that didn't show on TV.  The band was literally behind the basket and did a hell of a job distracting our free throws in the first half.  I guarantee you UK, UNC or Kansas would have had cheerleaders at least.  I get a school like Tulane wouldn't bring theirs but we are IU. And it was a bad look for us.  Even the Auburn fans noticed. The guy behind me commented that we couldn't afford to send them down.  I chuckled and turned around and said "well we did just fork out 15 mil to fire our football coach".  Money is not an issue when it comes to IU basketball.  This was just another dumb IU mistake.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Edited by Indy1987
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

We're you at the game?  I was.  Believe me, IU fans were talking about no band and no cheerleaders well before tip off and long before we started getting our asses handed to us.  If you were there you would have seen the advantage Auburn had with the home court feel.  I'm sure that didn't show on TV.  The band was literally behind the basket and did a hell of a job distracting our free throws in the first half.  I guarantee you UK, UNC or Kansas would have had cheerleaders at least.  I get a school like Tulane wouldn't bring theirs but we are IU. And it was a bad look for us.  Even the Auburn fans noticed. The guy behind me commented that we couldn't afford to send them down.  I chuckled and turned around and said "well we did just fork out 15 mil to fire our football coach".  Money is not an issue when it comes to IU basketball.  This was just another dumb IU mistake.

Go Hoosiers!!!

No, I watched a bit into the second half from home (I gave up when it was clear the game was over.)

3 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Winning and having a first class program is more important to UNC, UK, KU, and Duke. It's unfortunate. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1