This is not insignificant

9 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

All known cheaters 

I'm ashamed that it took a PUke to point that out.

But I kinda figured the "winning trumps integrity" crowd would eventually show up...

We're 7-2 with a young team and our PG out... Lost to 2 pretty good teams and beat the ones we should have, including 2-0 in conference...

Some of y'all are way too fragile... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

But I kinda figured the "winning trumps integrity" crowd would eventually show up...

We're 7-2 with a young team and our PG out... Lost to 2 pretty good teams and beat the ones we should have, including 2-0 in conference...

That is an optimistic way to view it though.  Another way is to say that in those 7 wins we averaged to win by about 8 points against teams with an average NET rating of 201.  In our two losses we averaged losing by 29 to teams with an average NET of 14 (I will round down to be nice).

We are 1-2 in games where the other team had a pulse.  We won one of those by 3 on the road against a team that has moved to Q1 but is currently 5-5, but that is a solid win.  There are things you can point to and say, see, still 7-2 and there are things a pessimist could point to and say, yeah 7 and 2 buuuut....

We find out more this weekend, then have a couple of games that do nothing to move the needle one way or the other and then we see how accurate our current NET of 123 is.

We only passed 1 of our 3 tests so far. 2 of them we failed about as bad as you could.  We have 1 more test, be nice to pass that one.  If we don't we are behind the curve the rest of the year.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That is an optimistic way to view it though.

It's a realistic view... Not one word can be disputed because it's the fact of where we are right now...

18 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

There are things you can point to and say, see, still 7-2 and there are things a pessimist could point to and say, yeah 7 and 2 buuuut....

As I said, I didn't speculate at all... The pessimists are using metrics and analytics to forecast a gloomy future for us... And that's ok...

At the end of the year, we'll see... 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's a realistic view... Not one word can be disputed because it's the fact of where we are right now...

As I said, I didn't speculate at all... The pessimists are using metrics and analytics to forecast a gloomy future for us... And that's ok...

Post like this are so bad and disingenuous. Yes, it is a fact we are 7-2. It is also a fact that everything @IUCrazy2 said in his post is true, too.

Without the context, which was all based on real numbers, you'd say we are better than Duke or Tennessee by just looking at the record. 

It isn't pessimistic to point out there is a fire in the kitchen and if we don't do something about it the house is going to burn down. The metrics are the smoke alarm going off, don't ignore the beeping.

EDIT: The metrics aren't the reason a lot of folks are concerned. The metrics are confirming what we are seeing with our eyes. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

They are both realistic views is what I am saying.

I hope we do get it turned around.  I still think we have a ton of work to do in spite of the 7-2 record.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They are both realistic views is what I am saying.

I hope we do get it turned around.  I still think we have a ton of work to do in spite of the 7-2 record.

I think we're getting tripped up on end results vs speculation of what those results will be by looking at the metrics...

It's not like I don't understand what y'all are saying, but in sports you always have to play it out...

And that's the fun part 🙂

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You 

the-point-over-your-head.gif.924db10d189a12f0feacd8546f9f0ac5.gif

Our end of year record will not be determined by metrics or analytics, it'll be determined on the basketball floor...

No I get the point just fine, it’s just simplistic.

We can look back at the season when we get there, lots of us enjoy talking about what needs to happen for us to get where we want to go. Some of you guys don’t like to participate in those conversations, which is totally fine. You could just move along but instead there is this big effort to shut down conversation and tell each other you’re more clairvoyant and emotionally intelligent than everyone else.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Kind of hypocritical right? Seems pretty fragile to constantly take shots at people that disagree with your take. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not the one who goes off the rails when we lose a game... Same thing happened last year... 

I really haven't seen much going off the rails this year. Lots of discussion of Xs and Os, analytics, roster construction, etc. Some of ya'll just don't like those conversations for whatever reason and try to squash all of it. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t think I ever said that. But I was hoping in year 3 with the portal and NIL money that we’d have a team that could shoot it better, guard better, and rebound better. At least be competitive against good teams. Was that unrealistic? 

Well, we were certainly competitive against some good teams last year (Kansas and Arizona not withstanding) and we lost an All-american and an NBA first round pick...

Follow that to this year, and our talent level is probably higher overall, but our experience isn't what it was last year... I think many thought we'd take our lumps in some games... I'm not sure what people expected our record to be at this point... I know some will say "they shouldn't be getting beat by 20+ points" and there's some merit to that, but of the teams that beat us one is considered by many to be a contender to repeat as National Champions, and the other has a history of being a very physically tough team... 

The hardest people to gauge are the ones who lack experience, simply because there's so much room to grow... It just depends on if they take advantage of their opportunities...if, at the end of the year, we're getting beat by 20 + by good teams, I'll be the first to say we haven't grown much... But it's only fair to let that play out rather than pronounce us DOA 9 games into the season... 

Edited by IUFLA

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, we were certainly competitive against some good teams last year (Kansas and Arizona not withstanding) and we lost an All-american and an NBA first round pick...

Follow that to this year, and our talent level is probably higher overall, but our experience isn't what it was last year... I think many thought we'd take our lumps in some games... I'm not sure what people expected our record to be at this point... I know some will say "they shouldn't be getting beat by 20+ points" and there's some merit to that, but of the teams that beat us one is considered by many to be a contender to repeat as National Champions, and the other has a history of being a very physically tough team... 

The hardest people to gauge are the ones who lack experience, simply because there's so much room to grow... It just depends on if they take advantage of their opportunities...if, at the end of the year, we're getting beat by 20 + by good teams, I'll be the first to say we haven't grown much... But it's only fair to let that play out rather than pronounce us DOA 9 games into the season... 

I don’t think anyone disagrees with that last sentence, but why can’t we talk about what is happening right now and what needs to improve for this team to get where we all want it to be?

The “tension” on the board right now is because a small group doesn’t want to talk about what isn’t working right now.

This program the past three years has been remarkably uncompetitive against almost every single non Big Ten team we’ve played of any caliber. It’s not that we are losing these measuring sticks game, it’s that we are getting embarrassed repeatedly on national television. Why do we need yo wait until the end of the third year to talk about what isn’t working?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

This program the past three years has been remarkably uncompetitive against almost every single non Big Ten team we’ve played of any caliber.

Last year we beat a good Xavier team at their place and an 18th ranked (at the time) UNC squad at ours...I know you'll poo-poo those 2 wins some way... 

Of course, we lost to Kansas and Arizona 

So I'd say last year we were 2-2 against "non Big Ten team we’ve played of any caliber."

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1