Morehead State Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Tuesday, December 19th 6:30 PM EST

Where: Simon-Skjotd Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: BTN

Head Coach Preston Spradlin (8th year 22-12 122-103 overall) brings his 8-3 Eagles in SSAH for a game with our Hoosiers. Last year Morehead State won the OVC but lost in the conference tourney, playing in the NIT and beating Clemson before losing to UAB. Here's their schedule so far...

image.png.91873abb18382d9fc660caa09fcd4fc0.png

image.png.14eec27d47002fdd0f9389a2d0a15130.png

image.png.03355ef6c6f15110b6968ce65ac6156c.png

Led in scoring and rebounding by 6'7 NAIA transfer Riley Minix and 6'4 Milwaukee transfer Jordan Lathon. 6'3 5th year senior guard Drew Thelwell, 6'5 5th year senior Kalil Thomas, and 6'10 senior and Xavier transfer Dionte Miles round out the starting lineup. 6'7 freshman Eddie Ricks, and 6'7 sophomore Trent Scott add depth off the bench. I watched some of their opener versus Alabama. They are athletic, they do guard you, and they can hit the 3 (they take 25 a game).

Another test for our young team. How do they respond against an inferior opponent on a short turn around after a heartbreaking loss? Gotta hope we can forget that and play well. Be nice to get a lead and let some of our kids rest while getting the bench some minutes. I think we'll win, but I do think it might be a bit of a struggle for us. 

Go Hoosiers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Minix averaged 25.4 points, 13.6 rebounds and nearly 3.0 assists per game for NAIA Southeastern (FL) in 2022-23. He was a Bevo Francis (anybody know who he is :) ) Award finalist honoring the nation's top small college basketball student-athlete. 

Texas 🐄 😳

rio grande 

113 points ?

midwest kid? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DWB said:

99% of the time, IU on the tube, Fisch on the ear buds for me. Only exception is when game is one Fox network with Gus Johnson.

I try but it's never in sync exactly. It's like YT TV....that's about 5-6 seconds behind so I almost am forced to deal with whatever talking yaps they throw at me like Bubbles.

On a side note. When Gus is on the call my TV room might as well be a movie theatre. It's up loud.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’ve got to figure out how to sync the two up. It won’t matter tomorrow night anyway. I have to watch later on DVR. 

If you use WQRK (105.5 in B'town) it downloads a player to your laptop/PC. You can PAUSE the playback once it starts to sync to TV stream. I have to wait 1-2 minutes from when the radio starts to the TV stream starting, and the pause works great. 

Same is true for the Varsity Network radio feed. You can pause that as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

absolutely needs to be a lopsided win as do the next two after this.  

I am typically a win, focus on improving, when we play inferior competition. I don't get worked up over the score.

However, the way this season has gone, its time to show this team can flat beat somebody into the ground.

I wasn't too upset with the Army, Gulf Coast games.

This one, I agree with you. It's just time to show something.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Minix averaged 25.4 points, 13.6 rebounds and nearly 3.0 assists per game for NAIA Southeastern (FL) in 2022-23. He was a Bevo Francis (anybody know who he is :) ) Award finalist honoring the nation's top small college basketball student-athlete. 

My dad educated me on Bevo when I was just a lad.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I try but it's never in sync exactly. It's like YT TV....that's about 5-6 seconds behind so I almost am forced to deal with whatever talking yaps they throw at me like Bubbles.

On a side note. When Gus is on the call my TV room might as well be a movie theatre. It's up loud.

Yeah.  Even if there is even the slightest disconnect between the audio and the video it really bothers me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am typically a win, focus on improving, when we play inferior competition. I don't get worked up over the score.

However, the way this season has gone, its time to show this team can flat beat somebody into the ground.

i don't like it at all.  i still feel like a win is a win, but that's just not true with today's metrics.  

• Like 1

There will be a funky matchup on each side...

On our side, I would imagine Mac will take Minix (maybe Trey?) so one of our bigs will be on one of the 3 guards they start. Be interesting to see who Woody puts on Miles (Malik or Kel'el)...

Conversely, they're going to have to put a short guy on one of our bigs. I don't think they want Minix to guard either one of them...I'd imagine he'll be on Mgbako... 

We have to guard the perimeter... They shoot a ton of 3s and make 37% of them... 

17 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

absolutely needs to be a lopsided win as do the next two after this.  

12 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't like it at all.  i still feel like a win is a win, but that's just not true with today's metrics.  

Just to illustrate how important it will be to not only win these next three, but to win convincingly: This Barttorvik chart shows that, based on non-con games only, IU's efficiency rating is currently last in the B1G:

https://barttorvik.com/?year=2024&sort=&hteam=Indiana&t2value=&conlimit=B10&state=All&begin=20231101&end=20240501&top=0&revquad=0&quad=5&venue=All&type=N&mingames=0#Indiana

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Do you think IU will lose?  What kind of loss probability would you assign to the game?  

I think we will win, hopefully with ease. I think it's interesting KenPom gives Morehead State a better chance of winning than us beating Purdue in Bloomington.

I don't agree with that, but it's an interesting commentary on the quality of our play thus far (and the need for more data, too). 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Do you think IU will lose?  What kind of loss probability would you assign to the game?  

i don't think we'll lose, but dang!  suddenly i'm just a little nervous... letdown after the big game... students gone... we are 113 in NET and they are 120.  we are 12.5 point favorites.  i thought the focus was winning this one big, but now i just hope we win!