A Couple of Polls

IUFLA

10 Game In Polls  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Will IU finish top 5 in the Big 10?

2. 2. Will IU make the NCAA Tournament?

I voted yes on both but I’m not 100% on either, probably more like 60/40 yes/no. Those numbers may very well go up and down throughout the season. Lose to Nebraska, they go down. Beat OSU they go up. 

Lots of work to do, but the opportunity is certainly there before us. We need at least 4-5 quality wins in the B1G and no bad losses. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 2

Voted yes on top 5, no on making the tournament.

I think we likely end up in the 4-5 range in conference, with a bevy of teams grouped in the middle. 

And given where we are today and the lack of strength of the Big Ten conference, I don't think that we will get in based on that. But I hope I'm wrong. 

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Voted yes on top 5, no on making the tournament.

I think we likely end up in the 4-5 range in conference, with a bevy of teams grouped in the middle. 

And given where we are today and the lack of strength of the Big Ten conference, I don't think that we will get in based on that. But I hope I'm wrong. 

I’d be surprised if we finish top 5 and don’t get in, that’d likely be a 21 or 22 win team. The Big Ten isn’t as strong as last year, but it’s still probably the 3rd best conference from top to bottom, with opportunities for good wins.

That said, it probably depends a little bit on who we beat. Purdue, OSU, Illinois, and Wisconsin are all going to be good wins home or away. Winning 3 out of 7 against that group would be big. I think the Nebraska games could be important too, they seem like they’ll be competing for a bubble spot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I’d be surprised if we finish top 5 and don’t get in, that’d likely be a 21 or 22 win team. The Big Ten isn’t as strong as last year, but it’s still probably the 3rd best conference from top to bottom, with opportunities for good wins.

That said, it probably depends a little bit on who we beat. Purdue, OSU, Illinois, and Wisconsin are all going to be good wins home or away. Winning 3 out of 7 against that group would be big. I think the Nebraska games could be important too, they seem like they’ll be competing for a bubble spot.

Michigan was Top 5 last year and was 18-16.

I agree it'll depend on who we beat. 

7 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I think we'll have 2 players make all conference (Ware could dominate the Big10 and be first team) and I could see MR making the 2nd or 3rd team. I think we'll overachieve in conference play, say 13-7.

I hope you're right about Malik, we need him to start playing good again. He's not been particularly good the past 5 games. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Michigan was Top 5 last year and was 18-16.

I agree it'll depend on who we beat. 

Michigan was 6-5 in non-con last year. Assuming IU wins these next 3, we’ll be 8-3 in non con. So I guess I should’ve said 20+ wins. Maybe an outside shot of being top 5 at 19 wins and losing the first game of the BTT. Again, I think if we get to top 5 in conference, we’ll have enough good wins to get in.

Just now, IUFLA said:

Consider the opposition in those first 5 as opposed to the last 5...

What's your point? He hasn't been good enough in the past 5 games for us to do what we all want us to do. He is capable of more and I hope he gives it to us. 

Why is wanting an IU player to play better a contentious point for what is supposedly the "positive" crowd? Why am I all of a sudden labeled "negative" because I actually want us to reach our potential? 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

What's your point? He hasn't been good enough in the past 5 games for us to do what we all want us to do. He is capable of more and I hope he gives it to us. 

Why is wanting an IU player to play better a contentious point for what is supposedly the "positive" crowd? Why am I all of a sudden labeled "negative" because I actually want us to reach our potential? 

First 5 games...

Florida Gulf Coast

Army

Wright State 

UConn

Louisville

Last 5

Harvard

Maryland

Michigan

Auburn

Kansas

Better competition is the reason for the slight discrepancy in his numbers...

2 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

I think we'll have 2 players make all conference (Ware could dominate the Big10 and be first team) and I could see MR making the 2nd or 3rd team. I think we'll overachieve in conference play, say 13-7.

I'm going to be uneasy with a 13-7 conference record, especially if there are no wins against the top 3-4 on conference.

13-7 means we're an 11 loss at-large team when including the one in the BTT.  11 losses is bubble territory for teams with mediocre metrics behind them. 

I'll be much more comfortable with a 14-6 conference record.  Given that we're already 2-0 with a road win, that seems to be attainable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

First 5 games...

Florida Gulf Coast

Army

Wright State 

UConn

Louisville

Last 5

Harvard

Maryland

Michigan

Auburn

Kansas

Better competition is the reason for the slight discrepancy in his numbers...

It's not a slight discrepancy, it's a big fall off. Malik needs to be better. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Last 4 games he's faced Julian Reese, Taris Reed, Johni Broome, and Hunter Dickinson...First 5 the only tough matchup was the Clingan kid from UConn

I think the point is that, in order for him to warrant all-conference consideration, he needs to put up consistent numbers against all levels of competition.  

Trayce did it.

Edey does it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think the point is that, in order for him to warrant all-conference consideration, he needs to put up consistent numbers against all levels of competition.  

Trayce did it.

Edey does it.

That wasn't the question though...It was "why the dropoff." 

And the dropoff wasn't all that great

Edit: and Trayce and Edey didn't do it when they were sophomores 

Re Edit: Trayce did, Edey didn't

Edited by IUFLA

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Last 4 games he's faced Julian Reese, Taris Reed, Johni Broome, and Hunter Dickinson...First 5 the only tough matchup was the Clingan kid from UConn

Yes, I get it. But we need him to be better. If we are playing through the post and the guy we are giving 30% of possession to is only shooting 50% from 2 with a negative ATO that's not going to get it done.