A Couple of Polls

IUFLA

10 Game In Polls  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Will IU finish top 5 in the Big 10?

2. 2. Will IU make the NCAA Tournament?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That wasn't the question though...It was "why the dropoff." 

And the dropoff wasn't all that great

Edit: and Trayce and Edey didn't do it when they were sophomores 

Re Edit: Trayce did, Edey didn't

I didn't ask why the drop-off. I said we need him to be better.

I was saying about 11 months ago we needed JHS to be better and caught flack for it. If he didn't get better from where he was we wouldn't have beaten Purdue either game. 

I am struggling with why it's a problem for an IU fan to say "we need XYZ player to get better so we can win more games". Is wanting your team to improve, play to their potential, and win a lot of games not standard operating procedure for a fan? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I didn't ask why the drop-off. I said we need him to be better.

I was saying about 11 months ago we needed JHS to be better and caught flack for it. If he didn't get better from where he was we wouldn't have beaten Purdue either game. 

I am struggling with why it's a problem for an IU fan to say "we need XYZ player to get better so we can win more games". Is wanting your team to improve, play to their potential, and win a lot of games not standard operating procedure for a fan? 

You demonstrated the first 5 games against the last 5...Maybe I misinterpreted what you were getting at, but as I said, competition improved, and that, in my mind, accounted for the discrepancy...

We need them all to be better...to improve...there's no real doubt about that...

You'll get no argument from me...

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm not sure if you could split the 2 answers with a yes and a no. 

Because we have no big non-conference wins, if we don't get into the top 5, i don't believe we'll have the resume to get into the tournament. IMO, it's top 5 or bust....possibly top 4. 

Can anybody name this B1G team who did NOT get into the tournament? 

Record: 22-11 (13-5, 4th in Big Ten MBB)

PS/G: 72.3 (219th of 351)

PA/G: 68.6 (76th of 351)

SRS: 10.99 (59th of 351)

SOS: 7.33 (53rd of 351)

ORtg: 105.7 (143rd of 351)

DRtg: 100.4 (103rd of 351)

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You demonstrated the first 5 games against the last 5...Maybe I misinterpreted what you were getting at, but as I said, competition improved, and that, in my mind, accounted for the discrepancy...

We need them all to be better...to improve...there's no real doubt about that...

You'll get no argument from me...

We do need them all to get better, I think some guys are playing closer to their ceiling than others.

I singled out Malik because someone said he could be 2nd or 3rd team all B1G... he needs to play better than he has the past 5 games to do that. I know that was better competition, and his play has fallen off big time. If we want to talk about the Kansas game, if Malik can make 55% of his twos instead of 33% and rebound better, we win that game. 

Mack on the other hand, has played significantly better the last 5 games than the first 5, including playing better than Malik in those games.

Ware has more or less maintained his high-level play. 

A bit of a mixed bag for Ware too. Still playing really well, but his offense has fallen against the better competition. 

Good news is his rebounding has gotten better!

With Reneau and Ware not being as efficient against better competition, it's even more imperative that Mgbako continues to improve, that we get consistent offense from Galloway, and perimeter contributions from beyond the arc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Was that the Mike Davis, “We’re the four seed” year?  It seems like their conference record was worse that year. 

I would have to look back, but I believe in Archie’s first year that Maryland finished with an above 0.500 conference record and didn’t make it. That was actually my first thought. Is that right?

Yes and Yes. Not a concern about either.

My only concern is Xavier. Like Coach Self said after the game if they get X back......that is a heckuva team. I'll take his vote. Otherwise under this staff our teams have consistently gotten better each year. We saw signs of that (while early still) this past weekend.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Was that the Mike Davis, “We’re the four seed” year?  It seems like their conference record was worse that year. 

I would have to look back, but I believe in Archie’s first year that Maryland finished with an above 0.500 conference record and didn’t make it. That was actually my first thought. Is that right?

Nope and nope.

Some other misses….

Record: 25-13 (9-9, 6th in Big Ten)

PS/G: 70.1 (106th of 347)

PA/G: 62.8 (76th of 347)

SRS: 14.22 (30th of 347)

SOS: 6.93 (38th of 347)

ORtg: 104.2 (110th of 347)

DRtg: 93.4 (43rd of 347)

Record: 21-15 (10-8, 5th in Big Ten)

PS/G: 70.8 (124th of 347)

PA/G: 66.8 (141st of 347)

SRS: 11.58 (50th of 334)

SOS: 9.58 (5th of 334)

ORtg: 104.3 (122nd of 347)

DRtg: 98.5 (117th of 347)

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ve started to see this Nebraska team referenced a few times, and I can kind of see why. But I don’t really think it’s that relevant for a few reasons.

First, that 2018 Nebraska team had 2 bad losses to a St John’s team that had a losing record, and a mediocre UCF team in the non-conference.

Second, for as bad as the big ten looks this year, it was worse in 2018. It only had 4 tourney teams that year, while this year it still looks like a 5 or 6 bid league - unless Purdue goes crazy and only loses 2 or 3 games. Nebraska also had a weird schedule that year where they only played the 4 tourney teams once each in the regular season, and only managed one win. They got another chance at Michigan in the BTT, but lost that as well. IU has 7 games against PU, Wis, Ill, and OSU, who all look like tourney teams thus far. We also have 2 against Nebraska who looks like a bubble type team.

Any P5 team that only manages one win against tournament quality competition all year will have a 0% chance of making the tourney.

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

I’ve started to see this Nebraska team referenced a few times, and I can kind of see why. But I don’t really think it’s that relevant for a few reasons.

First, that 2018 Nebraska team had 2 bad losses to a St John’s team that had a losing record, and a mediocre UCF team in the non-conference.

Second, for as bad as the big ten looks this year, it was worse in 2018. It only had 4 tourney teams that year, while this year it still looks like a 5 or 6 bid league - unless Purdue goes crazy and only loses 2 or 3 games. Nebraska also had a weird schedule that year where they only played the 4 tourney teams once each in the regular season, and only managed one win. They got another chance at Michigan in the BTT, but lost that as well. IU has 7 games against PU, Wis, Ill, and OSU, who all look like tourney teams thus far. We also have 2 against Nebraska who looks like a bubble type team.

Any P5 team that only manages one win against tournament quality competition all year will have a 0% chance of making the tourney.

I’ll preface with I don’t think we are saying drastically different things…

Outside of Rutgers a couple years ago you’d be hard pressed to find a B1G team make the tournament with a KenPom outside the top 50. We need enough good wins to get a big jump there.

I assume we will drop a game or two we shouldn’t at some point. Frankly this team hasn’t player remotely consistent enough to think otherwise. If we figure we need a quality win for each bad loss, and then a few more to get in, we probably need to go at least 4-3 against WI, IL, MSU, Purdue, and OSU. 

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’ll preface with I don’t think we are saying drastically different things…

Outside of Rutgers a couple years ago you’d be hard pressed to find a B1G team make the tournament with a KenPom outside the top 50. We need enough good wins to get a big jump there.

I assume we will drop a game or two we shouldn’t at some point. Frankly this team hasn’t player remotely consistent enough to think otherwise. If we figure we need a quality win for each bad loss, and then a few more to get in, we probably need to go at least 4-3 against WI, IL, MSU, Purdue, and OSU. 

Yeah, I think we’re saying similar things. I think you could add Nebraska into that group of teams, and that gives us 10 of the remaining big ten games that should be considered quality competition unless they fall off. I think if we get 4 wins in those 10 games we’d probably be somewhere around the bubble, assuming we don’t tank in the other 8 games against the lower half of the big ten. 5 wins out of 10 and I think we’ll likely be in.

I also think Michigan is still a team that has an outside shot of being on the bubble, which would make our road win their look good. We need them to beat Florida tomorrow.

Edit - I’ll also add that if we win enough to be a tourney team, I bet we finish inside the kenpom top 50. It’d require some flukey results for one to happen and not the other.

Edited by Kdug
  • Like 1

I’m tired of hoping that IU can squeak into the first four in a play in game. Thought we had moved past that last season, but here we are. What do we have to do to rejoin the group of teams that you look at at the beginning of the year and the only question is how high will you be seeded. Sweating selection isn’t even in the discussion. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’m tired of hoping that IU can squeak into the first four in a play in game. Thought we had moved past that last season, but here we are. What do we have to do to rejoin the group of teams that you look at at the beginning of the year and the only question is how high will you be seeded. Sweating selection isn’t even in the discussion. 

this is where i am.  when you talk about expectations, i don't see why we can't get to a point where we aren't sweating out whether we get into the tourney or not.   

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this is where i am.  when you talk about expectations, i don't see why we can't get to a point where we aren't sweating out whether we get into the tourney or not.   

The thing is that last year we weren't sweating it out of selection Sunday. It is to early this year to know if we are sweating it out on that Sunday