Ohio State Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

I expect our 2 bigs to do what they do unless fouls are an issue. As we know it only takes 2 to put them on ice.

Guard play, as we’ve all said on repeat this season, is key to even have a chance.

Ban the hockey substitutions paaawlease! Also, less Gun/Banks more Walker/Leal. Both Walker and Leal bring energy, IQ and different offensive identities compared to the the other two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Inequality said:

I expect our 2 bigs to do what they do unless fouls are an issue. As we know it only takes 2 to put them on ice.

Guard play, as we’ve all said on repeat this season, is key to even have a chance.

Ban the hockey substitutions paaawlease! Also, less Gun/Banks more Walker/Leal. Both Walker and Leal bring energy, IQ and different offensive identities compared to the the other two.

I haven't seen the hockey subs for awhile 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Inequality said:

If you check our 2p% in the four losses and check Ohio States 2p% defense you’re not gonna feel great.

Same would be true if you check their 3p% and our 3p% defense.

They defend our strength well, and we’ve pretty consistently looked bad against teams that have done that. We don’t defend their strength well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I haven't seen the hockey subs for awhile 

What I mean by hockey subs is having 4 of the starters out at the same time.

Though I will admit, I’ve skipped the last 15-20 minutes of the last two games and switched to something more enjoyable. So it’s possible I’ve missed something.

Gave my two seats up tonight to a family that has never been. Watching on TV makes it much easier to walk away from or at least redirect attention.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

What I mean by hockey subs is having 4 of the starters out at the same time.

Though I will admit, I’ve skipped the last 15-20 minutes of the last two games and switched to something more enjoyable. So it’s possible I’ve missed something.

Gave my two seats up tonight to a family that has never been. Watching on TV makes it much easier to walk away from or at least redirect attention.

i got you.  that was maddening, but i don't think we see that much or at all any more.  like i keep saying, the bad news is that we can't have any combo of 3 of these guys in together on the offensive end:  Ware, Reneau, Sparks, Banks, Walker.  when Mgbako is out we have to go with X, Cupps, and Galloway and not one of those other guys as a 3.  

• Like 1

Seems to me that benching guys with just 2 fouls so often isn’t helpful.  Seems pointless with Ware, anyway, because his style of D results in few fouls.  Imo, if he actually got 4 fouls it may mean he is getting more aggressive in the paint.   I’d let some guys keep playing with 3, especially if we’re building momentum.   

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, John S said:

Seems to me that benching guys with just 2 fouls so often isn’t helpful.  Seems pointless with Ware, anyway, because his style of D results in few fouls.  Imo, if he actually got 4 fouls it may mean he is getting more aggressive in the paint.   I’d let some guys keep playing with 3, especially if we’re building momentum.   

eh, for the most part i disagree.  you gotta pull them at least immediately.  if you fall apart and are gonna get yourself out of it, you gotta put them back in.  or you wait a bit and start subbing them in and out on dead ball offense/defense.  if you can stay in it keeping them on the bench, you sit them.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

eh, for the most part i disagree.  you gotta pull them at least immediately.  if you fall apart and are gonna get yourself out of it, you gotta put them back in.  or you wait a bit and start subbing them in and out on dead ball offense/defense.  if you can stay in it keeping them on the bench, you sit them.  

I hear you.  But there have been situations where coach pulls guys and it helps opponent as our offensive rhythm is interrupted.   Just like to see some risk-taking once in awhile if there’s chance to run up the score.   

28 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Hard to say so far. Still a lot of empty seats but there were a lot of people out on the concourse when I went to get a Coke. 

Ate lunch on Kirkwood today. Students are back and there was lots of folks in Hoosier gear/Candy Stripes. I’d say it will be a full house tonight.