Ohio State Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

Sometimes what looks good on paper doesn't transfer to games. We see it all the time in any sports and recruiting. Maybe the guys we have just aren't catching up on the schemes. It's kind of like cooking a meal. Occasionally you get some bad food that wrecks the whole meal....but I'm nowhere close to making widespread assumptions about players or staff in early January. Just not my style because each season is in effect it's own silo. You have to play it out.

With that said it's early January and we have plenty of time to either correct our mistakes or change things up either with rotations or schemes. I'm curious if we start seeing a little more zone? Maybe that would help?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Anyone have prop bet over under access on Battle for this game?  If it's anything less than 15 take the over.  

Time for someone to have a career BAD night instead of what we normally experience!:coffee:

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Ohio State is a pretty young team too, starting 4 sophs and a senior...As I said they have only played one true away game (at the Bryce Jordan Center, which could never compare to SSAH). The Buckeyes turned it over 15 times (PSU had only 8 TOs)... And we know all too well what that can bring

I don't see a good matchup for Gabe in this one. Rutgers tried freshman Jamichael Davis (who's about the same size as Cupps) on Thornton and he scored pretty much at will. When Dale Bonner is in the game, he might be able to cover him, but again, a bigger stronger kid who's 22 years old and has a bevy of experience...

Penn State's Kanye Clary had a good scoring night against the Bucks, and he's a lot like Xavier Johnson, only he looks to score more than facilitate... Hopefully X can have some success going to the basket... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Excited for this game. I think IU will come out and play really well, and I'm sure Woodson laid into them after Nebraska, so I think we'll have an inspired effort. 

Looking for Mgbako to stay out of foul trouble and have a big impact. Feels like he's been getting in foul trouble more and more. 

This is a really big game, hoping IU can start rebuilding some momentum beginning tonight. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That second foul on Mac when Williams shoved him off with a forearm on the break really hobbled us... The trailing official couldn't see it, but somehow could see Mac's swat at the ball... The official that was parallel to them swallowed this whistle.... 

No doubt, that was big. Mgbako is very important to what IU does. 

The two big turning points early in the game Wednesday was that bad call and the play where Mgbako and Ware both went for the defensive rebound and instead knocked it out of bounds. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That second foul on Mac when Williams shoved him off with a forearm on the break really hobbled us... The trailing official couldn't see it, but somehow could see Mac's swat at the ball... The official that was parallel to them swallowed this whistle.... 

That was an awful call and put us in an unfortunate early bind

20 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sometimes what looks good on paper doesn't transfer to games. We see it all the time in any sports and recruiting. Maybe the guys we have just aren't catching up on the schemes. It's kind of like cooking a meal. Occasionally you get some bad food that wrecks the whole meal....but I'm nowhere close to making widespread assumptions about players or staff in early January. Just not my style because each season is in effect it's own silo. You have to play it out.

With that said it's early January and we have plenty of time to either correct our mistakes or change things up either with rotations or schemes. I'm curious if we start seeing a little more zone? Maybe that would help?

I agree and disagree with this.  I don't think you can pass judgment on a year until it is complete, but you can continuously evaluate.  Also, on time, yes there is plenty of season to go but we don't have all that time to figure things out.  If our goal is the tournament, we need to start putting quality wins on the board right now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Excited for this game. I think IU will come out and play really well, and I'm sure Woodson laid into them after Nebraska, so I think we'll have an inspired effort. 

Looking for Mgbako to stay out of foul trouble and have a big impact. Feels like he's been getting in foul trouble more and more. 

This is a really big game, hoping IU can start rebuilding some momentum beginning tonight. 

To spin this in the positive, I think it's because he's more engaged on the defensive end. He still has a lot to learn and experience to gather, but he's putting himself in better positions more frequently than he did at the beginning of the season. And as @IUFLA said, the push off was blatant. That impacted his and the team's rhythm and flow by sending him to the bench.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If we don't win tonight, I fear this board will be in full meltdown mode.

First of all, I think we will win tonight, so I want to be clear about that. 

In regard to your concern, I think it would depend on the type of loss. If we lose a close, hard fought game, I would expect some frustration but not a meltdown. If we lose in the same manner as the Auburn, UConn, and Nebraska games, then you are likely correct. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

If we can't beat a not-so-great OSU club at home after the drubbing on Wednesday night, it's hard to see a realistic path to the Dance. So this is a really big game.

this is what i'm saying.  i'm already accepting that we'll win very few conference road games.  if we lose this one at home, do we also lose at home vs Purdue, Wisconsin, and Michigan St.?

• Like 1