What do you want to see between now and May?

I think what’s terrifying to me is any scenario I play out in my head it doesn’t end well.

Let’s say we go on a magical tear and win an overwhelming majority of our remaining games. Will it be because Woody has taken the criticisms to heart and made the proper adjustments with his scheme? Did he suddenly develop our guards and perimeter play? Probably not, which means if we win he’ll be able to say “I told you so” despite all the metrics saying this style of play isn’t sustainable for college basketball. Heck, he might even continue to recruit and construct a roster like this years’ for next and justify it with the way we end this season and how we finally meshed. 

Then the obvious and likely scenario, we lose a majority of the rest of our games, and Woody gets a second chance and has an uphill battle to keep Reneau/Mac/Liam (maybe add Queen) while trying to land top portal guards despite showing the last 3 years he cares more about getting the ball in the paint every possession than having a balanced attack. If he fails miserably at this, we’ll look like UL and have a half filled Assembly Hall all year and fans will have hit their breaking point, resulting in things like limited NIL $. 

Then there’s letting Woody go. While that sounds nice currently, I’m afraid that we won’t be able to land an ideal coach because of using that $ towards his buyout.  Not to mention, I don’t have a warm/fuzzy feeling we can make the right decision when our last 2 have been Archie Miller and Woodson. 

Just super frustrating that it’s come to this. 

Edited by Hoosierdave
  • Like 1