What do you want to see between now and May?

For me, it’s pretty simple:

Don’t completely fold on this season.

See some adjustments and better decision making from the coaches. Even learn from their mistakes, which is not something they like to do according to themselves.

Nail the portal. This year is and and next year may be worse if we don’t knock it out of the park. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Do you mean the month, or Dusty? (lol)

Unfortunately Dusty wont get a chance. Even though he has figured out how to win with less and coach K has vouched for him as being one of the best in the game. As much as I could get behind him after watching some of his interviews, IU needs an elite proven performer. The fans are restless. Recruits and transfers want stability and proof that their time wont be a wasted mess that will lead to them transferring or missing their chance at the next level. But, who knows what is to come and when.

As for the op, I want action and less excuses. I want to see a change for the better.

• Like 3

Just now, Inequality said:

Unfortunately Dusty wont get a chance. Even though he has figured out how to win with less and coach K has vouched for him as being one of the best in the game. As much as I could get behind him after watching some of his interviews, IU needs an elite proven performer. The fans are restless. Recruits and transfers want stability and proof that their time wont be a wasted mess that will lead to them transferring or missing their chance at the next level. But, who knows what is to come and when.

As for the op, I want action and less excuses. I want to see a change for the better.

Trilly said May to IU is the worst kept secret in college basketball fwiw

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Of all the above average/move-the-needle coaches out there, is May pushed to the front of the line strictly because of his IU connection? I would have to believe that is a large component to the interest in him, all other factors being equal. Aren't we as a program trying to find the best coach, rather than just one familiar with the brand?

I don't know enough about him, but outside of last year, May hasn't dominated like other candidates.

Maybe he **is** the guy, but I think due diligence must be taken, and I hope this isn't a foregone conclusion at this point in time.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Of all the above average/move-the-needle coaches out there, is May pushed to the front of the line strictly because of his IU connection? I would have to believe that is a large component to the interest in him, all other factors being equal. Aren't we as a program trying to find the best coach, rather than just one familiar with the brand?

I don't know enough about him, but outside of last year, May hasn't dominated like other candidates.

Maybe he **is** the guy, but I think due diligence must be taken, and I hope this isn't a foregone conclusion at this point in time.

i mean i would be relatively excited to get May.  that said, we'd have to have a bit of nervousness that it could turn out like Archie right?  i'd rather have Beard or Pearl.  

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Don’t be surprised if Dusty is the most proven performer who will take the job.

And since I posted it the thread, albeit jokingly, I’ll answer the question.  I want to see honest effort from the players.  I want to see blocking out and rebounding, defense for 40 minutes, and going after loose balls.  That at least gets us to mid-March.  If and when I see that, it will help me decide what I want to see from mid-March to May.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

For those of you who don't venture to other areas of the forum...

I responded to this post on that board and shared another experience I had first hand that was far from OK.

This whole school needs some tweaking or overhaul

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i mean i would be relatively excited to get May.  that said, we'd have to have a bit of nervousness that it could turn out like Archie right?  i'd rather have Beard or Pearl.  

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just genuinely curious. Is your relative excitement of May because he learned under RMK or for another reason?

Would it be the same if he was a Boeheim or Calipari disciple?

37 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just genuinely curious. Is your relative excitement of May because he learned under RMK or for another reason?

Would it be the same if he was a Boeheim or Calipari disciple?

not sure to be honest.  definitely has something to do with it, but he has done a heck of a job at Florida Atl and i think it's cool he coached at Eastern Greene.  i actually got my coaching start at Eastern Greene back when i was at IU.  i coached the 7th grade boys one season!  anyway, i do think it's a little like Archie Miller though.  you can't know until they are on a stage that big.  

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

If that is the case you have to make the move now.  If they want him then you send Quin to Woody and tell him it is time to hang it up and we'll throw you a big retirement party.  May still has buzz and to take advantage of that buzz you have to act now.  A good job at his school is not going to generate buzz.  So if you wait a few years and he is mostly winning his conference and even making a tournament appearance here and there but getting bounced early, all that buzz dries up.

If they think he is our guy they need to make it happen now.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Why, to fetch his water? Do you think CMW would listen to Beilein? 

Haha, you're probably right.  He needs to though. This staff is missing what Matta and Fife brought to the table(whether Woody listened or not).  Our assistants may have good recruiting skills and ties in AAU but what else are they doing?  Like did they even try to convince Woody to fill that last scholarship with a dang guard?  

For what they are making you'd think they'd be mentioned as replacements every time a school cans a coach.  I can't see Woody getting the axe this year(should the losing continue).  I can see him pressured to do something with the staff though.  Something has to change this off season.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

The last few weeks the Indiana State coach has been on local radio show.  The more I listen to him the more I like and he sounds like a college basketball coach.

As for what I want to see the rest of the season and the off season.

Play hard

Play with passion

Play smart

Coaches preparing the team better

Win games

Off season

Get Queen

Get Davis

Get two guards/wings in the portal

Tell every player capable of coming back that if they aren't here to win for Indiana University then you need to hit the road. It is time to recruit guys who has a passion to play here and guys who are winners

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Inequality said:

64cb1c60-80a3-11ec-afdf-fd356976ee32.jpeg

• Like 3

I like Dusty May but if he wasn't an IU grad and former manager for the basketball program would he be on your list.

First 4 years his record was 66-56. The problem is this is the type of coaches who are now hired at power 5 conference programs. You see very little guys going from one top program to another top program. I wouldn't touch Chris Beard and would have doubts hiring Bruce Pearl. You didn't see Duke, UNC go out and higher a big name coach. Syracuse and Villanova both hired unproven coaches. The one time UNC hired Williams it was because he was an Alumni if UNC and a former assistant under Dean Smith. If not they wouldn't have gotten a big name like Williams.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I like Dusty May but if he wasn't an IU grad and former manager for the basketball program would he be on your list.

You see very little guys going from one top program to another top program. 

I mean, he's not 6'10" like Juwan Howard, but I wouldn't necessarily call Dusty 'little'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2