What do you want to see between now and May?

Between now and May?  I guess my list would be:

1) Total Solar Eclipse

2) The Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl

3) A winning Powerball ticket

4) The new Naughty Nurses at Night movie

5) Prince William and Prince Harry kiss and make up

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

For the next two games I’d say I expect the team to fight for their season. I know nobody will give them much of a shot, including me, but winning both of those could flip the narrative to a certain extent.

If the next two games go the way everyone expects, I’ll be mainly interested on how the young guys develop over the rest of the season. Can Cupps develop any sort of offense? Will Malik get better at passing and not forcing up shots through multiple defenders? Can Gunn shoot more consistently? We’ll need the young guys to get better if we want next year to be any better.

I’d also like to see some stylistic changes, which I think a lot of that falls on Woodson. I’d mainly like to see a more modern approach where we focus more on the perimeter and getting to the rim (on both ends). I’m sick and tired of seeing that out of bounds play that we run to get CJ Gunn a tough midrange shot. If you’re going to run that play, make it a 3.

In the offseason, I want Queen and then every other spot to be filled with a guard, preferably multiple veteran transfer guards. Post play hasn’t been an issue even going back to the Archie teams, but we’ve lacked dynamic guard play for quite awhile. The staff needs to do everything they can to get good guards coming in for next year, because I can’t see anyone that I’d feel good about starting at guard next year.

The staff and players have a lot of work cut out, that’s for sure.

• Like 2

1. Reneau becoming a willing passer to open perimeter players.  He doesn’t need to shoot every time he has it in the post.

1A  Reneau becomes full effort player ALL THE TIME.  If he does this I believe he becomes All Big caliber immediately. 

2. Cupps to stop taking long, off balanced 2 point shots. 
3. Galloway to find SOME confidence from the line. More for himself than for the team.

4. A great portal season in which 4 tough, confident shooting guards/wings are added. 

Edited by NWOHoosier

33 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The change isn’t happening after this season unless something ridiculous happens that is unexpected 

Don’t mean for this to be a thread about a coaching change, but I am curious what you think “something ridiculous happens that is unexpected” would entail. 

40 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The change isn’t happening after this season unless something ridiculous happens that is unexpected 

I’m glad. As bad as this year is trending, he deserves the chance to right the ship. I hope he gets this thing pointed in an upward direction again soon. Hopefully before this season ends. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I like Dusty May but if he wasn't an IU grad and former manager for the basketball program would he be on your list.

Yes.  He's on everybody's list that wants to fire their coach.  Browse around the Internet a little bit and you'll see.

My apologies for making this a Dusty May thread with my joke, but while we're on the subject, I want to address the notion that Dusty May is probably no different than Crean or Archie, because more than a few people have made that comment.  If you believe that, I invite you to do some research: Look at Marquette's program, both its long history and the 5-10 years before Crean got there and see if you think Crean really elevated the program, or just maintained it.  Then do the same thing with Dayton, both its long history and the 5-10 years before Archie got there.  Finally, do the same thing with Florida Atlantic and see if Dusty May elevated the program.  If it doesn't hit you then that one is totally different than the other two, I guess I don't know what to tell you. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IUJoe said:

Yes.  He's on everybody's list that wants to fire their coach.  Browse around the Internet a little bit and you'll see.

My apologies for making this a Dusty May thread with my joke, but while we're on the subject, I want to address the notion that Dusty May is probably no different than Crean or Archie, because more than a few people have made that comment.  If you believe that, I invite you to do some research: Look at Marquette's program, both its long history and the 5-10 years before Crean got there and see if you think Crean really elevated the program, or just maintained it.  Then do the same thing with Dayton, both its long history and the 5-10 years before Archie got there.  Finally, do the same thing with Florida Atlantic and see if Dusty May elevated the program.  If it doesn't hit you then that one is totally different than the other two, I guess I don't know what to tell you. 

that's cool.  i don't know enough to disagree.  i am a fan of his.  i just have to admit i was a fan of Miller too.  didn't see it coming that he would be bad.  

8 hours ago, IUJoe said:

We aren’t exactly in a coaching search but since we are discussing Dusty who grew up in Bloomington (he lived on the outskirts and went to Eastern Green). Dusty has that edge to him like his mentor RMK. Very strict and firm. Super competitive. He’s an interesting character and reminds me of a few coaches.

He won’t end up here but someone will snatch him up should he decide he’s ready to move on.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Between now and May?  I guess my list would be:

1) Total Solar Eclipse

2) The Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl

3) A winning Powerball ticket

4) The new Naughty Nurses at Night movie

5) Prince William and Prince Harry kiss and make up

I'd move the winning Powerball ticket to no.1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

For those who like to speak in certainties, that’s not how the world works.  You can talk about probabilities and not certainties.  Everyone here should understand that.  

I certainly agree with you.....no wait, I probably agree with you.

Now that I typed that, while I'm okay saying 'probably' to you, I most CERTAINLY will always agree with my wife (as far as she knows).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Would Beard leave Ole Miss after 1 year?  Well he did leave UNLV after what a day?  To me he is the top option that could be had but if it takes one more year of Woody to lure Beard, I'd be patient. I don't know how recruiting is going for Beard after his off court stuff but Texas made a mistake letting him go, IMO.  Terry is OK at Texas and deserved a shot but one was must wonder if he is Texas version of Mike Davis whether he is better coach or not.  

May is OK hire too but Mitch Henderson is as good, IMO and I like Mitch when they hired Archie though I wasn't against the Archie hire. 

Collins name alwaays surfaces and I think he'd a great coach at IU but I think he is probably committed to being in chicago. 

What happened to Oats?

I believe Woodson is back for year 4 regardless what happens the rest of the season, so let’s concentrate on how we can improve next year. With this roster and the lack of production from our guards, even if we made the tournament, we were probably one and out. With the possibilty of MgBako, Reneau and McNeeley on the wing and front court, we have a chance to be a much better team next year. Let’s assume Reneau continues to improve, MgBako makes the same kind of leap in year 2 as Reneau and McNeeley is as good as advertised, then the sky’s the limit, with a couple of really good additions at guard. We’ll also need a complete reset from the coaching staff on both sides of the ball. Let’s build a team that not only makes the tournament, but has a chance to win the whole thing. 

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Would Beard leave Ole Miss after 1 year?  Well he did leave UNLV after what a day?  To me he is the top option that could be had but if it takes one more year of Woody to lure Beard, I'd be patient. I don't know how recruiting is going for Beard after his off court stuff but Texas made a mistake letting him go, IMO.  Terry is OK at Texas and deserved a shot but one was must wonder if he is Texas version of Mike Davis whether he is better coach or not.  

Brad Underwood was at OK ST for one year. I have no doubt Beard would leave Ole Miss after one year to go to IU. 

No problem recruiting for Beard. In the early signing period for 2024, he signed the top prospect from GA, a 7'1 shot blocker with a reputation as one of the hardest working bigs in the country. He also signed an elite combo guard shooter from the NBA Academy Latin America. Ole Miss is currently a finalist for two of the top PGs in 2025, Jeremiah Fears and Mikel Brown. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I believe Woodson is back for year 4 regardless what happens the rest of the season, so let’s concentrate on how we can improve next year. With this roster and the lack of production from our guards, even if we made the tournament, we were probably one and out. With the possibilty of MgBako, Reneau and McNeeley on the wing and front court, we have a chance to be a much better team next year. Let’s assume Reneau continues to improve, MgBako makes the same kind of leap in year 2 and McNeeley is as good as advertised, then the sky’s the limit, with a couple of really good additions at guard. We’ll also need a complete reset from the coaching staff on both sides of the ball. Let’s build a team that not only makes the tournament, but has a chance to win the whole thing. 

This is part of why I don’t really want to land Queen - I want to see us playing Mgbako at the 4 and Reneau at the 5 next year regardless of who the coaching staff is.

In my ideal world we land 2 big time guards and bring Galloway off of the bench, and he can sub in anywhere 1-4 as your 6th man. Sparks can be the backup 5. Cupps getting minutes at the 1. Maybe add one more wing in the portal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would like to see what everyone one else wants to see good basketball! Clean up the turn overs and start making good solid plays! Also would like to see us make out free throws. 
Play good clean defense, some fast breaks would be fun! 
then hit the portal hard an get it right. Hope Mgbako, Ware an Reneau come back next year. Cups an CJ Gunn need to work hard this off season on their game. Both need to become scoring threats. 
Bottom line just want to watch IU basketball get back to its rightful place at the top of College basketball!