IU Basketball Staff

No this is not another thread about CMW. So let's keep him out of here.

We talk a lot about the players, we talk a lot about the head coach. I want to discuss more about everyone else on the staff. It seems like the best programs have the best staff behind the head coaches as well.

I am not knowledgeable in this department, well any, but less so here. So I ask the following questions.

Kenya Hunter was revered a couple years ago. Is that still the case?

We brought in Ya, because his connections and recruiting. IDK what he has done the last two years. If he is not recruiting well, what is he doing?

IU has basketball money, can IU create position(s) such as offensive coordinator in addition?

3 years ago i would have said our staff is one of the best in the country. I don't feel that way anymore. Seems like Walsh does all the leg work. I thought, at least in the past, that each assistant was in charge of scouting for future games. I.e. Ya is scouting and gameplanning for Purdue. Hunter is scouting and planning for NW. Walsh Nebraska. Is that still the case?

Should we make offseason moves in the assistant coach category? Would someone like ISU coach or Dusty May or someone take a cool $1M to be associate head coach?

No this is not another thread to disparage anyone and everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

No this is not another thread about CMW. So let's keep him out of here.

We talk a lot about the players, we talk a lot about the head coach. I want to discuss more about everyone else on the staff. It seems like the best programs have the best staff behind the head coaches as well.

I am not knowledgeable in this department, well any, but less so here. So I ask the following questions.

Kenya Hunter was revered a couple years ago. Is that still the case?

We brought in Ya, because his connections and recruiting. IDK what he has done the last two years. If he is not recruiting well, what is he doing?

IU has basketball money, can IU create position(s) such as offensive coordinator in addition?

3 years ago i would have said our staff is one of the best in the country. I don't feel that way anymore. Seems like Walsh does all the leg work. I thought, at least in the past, that each assistant was in charge of scouting for future games. I.e. Ya is scouting and gameplanning for Purdue. Hunter is scouting and planning for NW. Walsh Nebraska. Is that still the case?

Should we make offseason moves in the assistant coach category? Would someone like ISU coach or Dusty May or someone take a cool $1M to be associate head coach?

No this is not another thread to disparage anyone and everyone.

Every time I hear a player speak on a coach helping their development, the names mentioned are either Hulls or Cheaney... 

This seems like one of the hardest things to gauge as fans.  We can watch players play, we can see style of play etc. with coaches, but what do we really see with the rest of the staff?  One thing I liked about Crean's staff was that he had a couple of guys there in McClain and Buckley who had previous head coaching experience.  

I can't really put my finger on why, maybe it's what I just typed above,  but I'm okay with Woody coming back next year in spite of my frustrations, but I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of new faces sitting next to him.  

The thing is though, I don't know when a good time to make a change would.  We have to be ready to hit the ground running in portal season as soon as it opens and that is right after the season.  Do we have enough time to adjust there and still be out there to get our first pick of portal players?  To me that's the catch 22 of staff changes this year. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This seems like one of the hardest things to gauge as fans.  We can watch players play, we can see style of play etc. with coaches, but what do we really see with the rest of the staff?  One thing I liked about Crean's staff was that he had a couple of guys there in McClain and Buckley who had previous head coaching experience.  

I can't really put my finger on why, maybe it's what I just typed above,  but I'm okay with Woody coming back next year in spite of my frustrations, but I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of new faces sitting next to him.  

I'm still trying to figure out what the old fart that sits to Woody's right on the bench does to benefit the team. Or is he just Woody's pal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Come on guys, a little respect...that's Armond Hill...Pretty good resume...

"Hill was named the program’s Assistant Athletic Director of Basketball Administration on June 9, 2021 and begins his third year with the Hoosiers. Hill offers close to 50 years of experience as a player and coach at the highest levels to Bloomington and worked with Woodson on the Los Angeles Clippers coaching staff from 2014-18.

Hill returns to the college ranks after spending 15 seasons on the sidelines as an NBA assistant coach. Hill became an assistant coach to Bloomington native Terry Stotts in Atlanta during the 2003–04 NBA season. After one season, he was hired by the Boston Celtics to aid Doc Rivers and spent the next 15 years as part of his staff with the Celtics (2004-13) and with the Clippers (2013-20). The highlight of that time was being a part of the Celtics staff which won the 2008 NBA title and included NBA stars Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. The team also went to the NBA Finals in 2010. While with the Clippers, he worked with Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Kawhi Leonard and Paul George among others.

The Brooklyn native spent eight years as the head coach at Columbia University (1995-2003), where his 2001-02 team led the nation in scoring defense, holding opponents to 57.0 points per game. Hill’s coaching career began as an assistant coach at the Lawrenceville School in Lawrenceville, N.J. in 1985. He became the head coach three years later. He won two Coach of the Year awards and, in 1990, led Lawrenceville to the New Jersey State Prep School Championship. He entered the collegiate ranks as an assistant to Hall of Fame coach Pete Carril at his alma mater, Princeton, in 1991. In four seasons, he helped Princeton to a 71-35 record, winning the Ivy League title and advancing to the NCAA Tournament in 1992.

After graduating from Bishop Ford Central Catholic High School in Brooklyn, Hill attended The Lawrenceville School for a post-graduate year before attending Princeton (1972-76). He was named Ivy League Men's Basketball Player of the Year as a senior in 1976, averaged 13.7 points in four seasons and posted 1,056 career points with the Tigers. He was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks with the ninth pick of the 1976 NBA Draft and enjoyed a solid career in the NBA, compiling 6.9 points and 4.3 assists per game over eight seasons and 468 games. He played for the Hawks from 1976-80 and 1983-84, for the Seattle SuperSonics from 1980-82 and the San Diego Clippers and Milwaukee Bucks in 1982."

After his playing career, Hill returned to Princeton to complete his degree, earning a B.A. in psychology in 1985. In 2009, he was inducted into the New York City Basketball Hall of Fame.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"Hill was named the program’s Assistant Athletic Director of Basketball Administration on June 9, 2021 and begins his third year with the Hoosiers. Hill offers close to 50 years of experience as a player and coach at the highest levels to Bloomington and worked with Woodson on the Los Angeles Clippers coaching staff from 2014-18.

Hill returns to the college ranks after spending 15 seasons on the sidelines as an NBA assistant coach. Hill became an assistant coach to Bloomington native Terry Stotts in Atlanta during the 2003–04 NBA season. After one season, he was hired by the Boston Celtics to aid Doc Rivers and spent the next 15 years as part of his staff with the Celtics (2004-13) and with the Clippers (2013-20). The highlight of that time was being a part of the Celtics staff which won the 2008 NBA title and included NBA stars Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. The team also went to the NBA Finals in 2010. While with the Clippers, he worked with Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Kawhi Leonard and Paul George among others.

The Brooklyn native spent eight years as the head coach at Columbia University (1995-2003), where his 2001-02 team led the nation in scoring defense, holding opponents to 57.0 points per game. Hill’s coaching career began as an assistant coach at the Lawrenceville School in Lawrenceville, N.J. in 1985. He became the head coach three years later. He won two Coach of the Year awards and, in 1990, led Lawrenceville to the New Jersey State Prep School Championship. He entered the collegiate ranks as an assistant to Hall of Fame coach Pete Carril at his alma mater, Princeton, in 1991. In four seasons, he helped Princeton to a 71-35 record, winning the Ivy League title and advancing to the NCAA Tournament in 1992.

After graduating from Bishop Ford Central Catholic High School in Brooklyn, Hill attended The Lawrenceville School for a post-graduate year before attending Princeton (1972-76). He was named Ivy League Men's Basketball Player of the Year as a senior in 1976, averaged 13.7 points in four seasons and posted 1,056 career points with the Tigers. He was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks with the ninth pick of the 1976 NBA Draft and enjoyed a solid career in the NBA, compiling 6.9 points and 4.3 assists per game over eight seasons and 468 games. He played for the Hawks from 1976-80 and 1983-84, for the Seattle SuperSonics from 1980-82 and the San Diego Clippers and Milwaukee Bucks in 1982."

After his playing career, Hill returned to Princeton to complete his degree, earning a B.A. in psychology in 1985. In 2009, he was inducted into the New York City Basketball Hall of Fame.

Woody has a lot of accolades too…doesn’t mean it translate to being a good coach in 2024 P5 college basketball. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No disrespect meant, because he does have an impressive resume, but you have to admit he’s not engaged on the bench, so it’s fair to ask what his responsibilities are, and what his input is during the game, and what his role is during practice. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

No disrespect meant, because he does have an impressive resume, but you have to admit he’s not engaged on the bench, so it’s fair to ask what his responsibilities are, and what his input is during the game, and what his role is during practice. 

He's the Assistant AD for basketball...Games and practices aren't going to be his focus... 

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Woody has a lot of accolades too…doesn’t mean it translate to being a good coach in 2024 P5 college basketball. 

Woody is a good basketball coach whether some of you want to admit it or not... I posted a list of people who have publicly said it in another thread...Larry Brown was at the top of the list...

If you don't think so, that's fine... We can agree to disagree... But I can guarantee you the list of qualified people who think he is would be much longer than those who don't... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Woody is a good basketball coach whether some of you want to admit it or not... I posted a list of people who have publicly said it in another thread...Larry Brown was at the top of the list...

If you don't think so, that's fine... We can agree to disagree... But I can guarantee you the list of qualified people who think he is would be much longer than those who don't... 

He might know basketball. And I would say he does. But that doesn’t always translate to winning games. He has not recruited basketball players. Shooting skills, point guard skills. Defensive understanding. And here is the big one. Does he have solid fundamentals and was he coached with discipline in high school .  

• Like 1

To chirp in regarding Armond Hill. I think a lot of the confusion regarding him is based simply on where he sits on the bench. Multiple people have brought him up on this board and elsewhere, asking what he does and how he contributes. If he were sitting a row back, there would likely be way less scrutiny.

All that said, not everyone on the staff needs to/should be overly vocal at all times, nor do they need to assert themselves simply for the optics of contributing. Assistance can come in many different forms, and sometimes silence is a way of directing attention towards those that need it.

A lot of people spend so much time talking, they aren't able to listen; so much time spent proving a point, they don't even know if it's correct. Sometimes its good to just observe and offer insights when appropriate and let other people do their jobs as well.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

To chirp in regarding Armond Hill. I think a lot of the confusion regarding him is based simply on where he sits on the bench. Multiple people have brought him up on this board and elsewhere, asking what he does and how he contributes. If he were sitting a row back, there would likely be way less scrutiny.

All that said, not everyone on the staff needs to/should be overly vocal at all times, nor do they need to assert themselves simply for the optics of contributing. Assistance can come in many different forms, and sometimes silence is a way of directing attention towards those that need it.

A lot of people spend so much time talking, they aren't able to listen; so much time spent proving a point, they don't even know if it's correct. Sometimes its good to just observe and offer insights when appropriate and let other people do their jobs as well.

That’s fair, but since he sits next to Woodson during the games that’s where the confusion comes into play regarding his role. 

I don't doubt his resume, and I'll admit it is impressive. But I've yet to see him verbalize 1 syllable the entire season.

If he's a "big picture" guy and not an active assistant, seems to me he shouldn't be on the bench during a game. But...not a big deal, just an observation.

Thanx for providing the resume on him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

no disrespect but there are lots of great basketball coaches…HOF coaches that would struggle in 2024 college basketball environment. How many HOF coaches have quit or moved on in the last 5 years?? Being a great basketball coach doesn’t guarantee success if your methods are outdated, if you no longer have passion and energy for the job, if you have no experience at the level you are coaching. The list of college basketball coaches that couldn’t hack it in the nba are too numerous to count…and the ones from nba succeeding in college are probably fewer. Let’s just be honest….the greatest coach in IU history lost touch, lost passion, and lost connection with the players and fell off. Why would we think Woody is above that? 

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Alot of people spend so much time talking, they aren't able to listen; so much time spent proving a point, they don't even know if it's correct. Sometimes its good to just observe and offer insights when appropriate and let other people do their jobs as well.

z3HFoEzXCMykr4L0TB.gif

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I have no idea what Armond Hill's role is in terms of in-game coaching or practices. 

What I can tell you having worked with Hill at the Celtics for 3 years, IU players are better people for having Hill around them. 

The guys is as first class as they come. 

Thanks…I trust your judgement. I’m sure he is a great guy and I’m glad we have quality people around the program…but at this point I just hace little faith this current staff in building a successful program in the current era of college basketball. The team really mirrors our staff…and that doesn’t seem to be a good thing. I hope things turn around…and I like the staff personally…but I just don’t get the sense of urgency to turn this thing around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Good point…I agree we are so frustrated with this team and staff…anyone that close to the program is going to catch flack and maybe undeservedly.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Guys. Holy shit. You don't know what Armond Hill does during games. You don't know what he does during practice. You didn't even know he was, or what he had accomplished, until someone jumped in to tell you. Yet you're throwing rocks at the guy and questioning his worth just because you saw his face on screen a few times when the cameras switched to Woodson. Literally out there catching strays. Some of y'all are so invested in your own discontent you're now making up ways to be upset about this staff.

This! ^^^

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Guys. Holy shit. You don't know what Armond Hill does during games. You don't know what he does during practice. You didn't even know he was, or what he had accomplished, until someone jumped in to tell you. Yet you're throwing rocks at the guy and questioning his worth just because you saw his face on screen a few times when the cameras switched to Woodson. Literally out there catching strays. Some of y'all are so invested in your own discontent you're now making up ways to be upset about this staff.

That's the post of the month unless someone predicting 6 game winning streak comes to pass.  

• Like 1

We really don’t know what the assistants are actually doing…at least not enough to make an accurate evaluation. When it comes to assistants all we get is what recruits they are leads on. In that sense, it’s a ‘what have you done for me lately.’ There seems to be a narrative going on lately that Walsh is doing all the leg work. Is this because he was the lead on McNeely? Last Spring it seemed like Ya was on a roll, especially after getting Ware. Before that it was Hunter (I remember all those memes). 

I don’t have any info to bring other than my assumption: I doubt most people really know what they are talking about when it comes to this topic.