Wisconsin II Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Wednesday, February 27th 7:00 PM EST

Where: Simon-Skjotd Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: Peacock

Greg Gard (182-102) brings his Wisconsin Badgers (18-9 overall 10-6 tied for 3rd in the Big 10) in to SSAH to face our Hoosiers. Wisconsin has partially righted the ship after losing 4 straight by winning 2 of their last 3. The Badgers are 3-5 on the road in the conference having lost their last 4 road contests.

image.png.e05afc0527f19142061e3639685c2344.png

image.png.e336b8d88099e6924055ad2b763e4019.png

image.png.b13817b6ea01bde8ca7d5f3820a807db.png

Led by 6'6 sophomore transfer (St Johns) AJ Storr (16 ppg) who has slumped a bit from 3 point range, shooting only 15% over the last 3 games. Wisconsin has had the same starting lineup for all 27 games, with 6'9 senior Tyler Wahl (12 ppg), 7'0 junior  Steven Crowl (11 ppg 8 rpg, 6'3 Junior Chucky Hepburn (8 ppg 4 apg), and 6'3 junior transfer (Wofford) Max Klesmit (10 ppg 39% from 3) joining Storr in the starting lineup. 6'4 Freshman guard John Blackwell, who's a cinch to land on the Big 10 All Freshman team, 6'7 junior and Hoosier native Connor Essegian, 6'11 freshman Nolan Winter (who can shoot the 3 ball) and 6'7 junior Carter Gilmore provide minutes off the bench.

Last game we played against them in Madison, Klesmit more than doubled his average with 26 points, and Blackwell chipped in with 12 off the bench. We shot well (54% overall, 44% from 3, and 80% from the line), bit our defense was probably as bad as it's been all year allowing Bucky to shoot 60% overall, and 48% from 3.

We can win this game, but we have to guard the perimeter better than we did in the first game, have to win the board battle, and our bigs have to show up and play well...I'd heard we might have an Xavier Johnson sighting for this one as well...

Let's stop the losing streak here...

GO HOOSIERS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

A man of your word, I see...

7 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

The best chance of winning is if they forfeit the rest of the season.

On 2/22/2024 at 1:19 PM, ForHumanity said:

Been thinking about this for a few weeks...

Well, I can never watch another woody team again. I'm out.

It was nice reading the comments here but need to get away and enjoy life.

So many other things to do to feed the soul and woody isn't on the radar.

No sense in staying in a lower vibration plane any longer.

The joy of family time is more important.

I will miss the brilliant remarks from the group, some had me in tears.

Peace out...

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ugh peacock so I guess I’ve got to do radio. 

Hopefully we try to punk that curly haired kid whose name escapes me.  Gotta return the favor on him after his weanie move last game.  

Klesmit... 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The only suspense is whether Tyra (Buss) Davison is there in a Wisconsin sweatshirt 

I’d rather see her out of a Wisconsin sweatshirt. :coffee:

I won’t say anything more so 5fouls doesn’t get too revved up. I think his restraining order is still in place. 

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

ESPN matchup predictor has Wisconsin at 73% to win.

So let's suspend belief for a moment; what is IU's path to victory in this game? Above average 3 point and free throw shooting? Some semblance of defense? Wisconsin team bus getting lost on the way to Assembly Hall?

In the original post, I cited our offensive numbers from the first game...

54% overall, 44% from 3, and 80% from the line...So it wasn't the offense...

Klesmit scored 26 shooting 8-11 overall and 5-7 from 3...

Since, he's averaged 9 ppg, on 37% shooting overall and 34% from 3...

Our defense was the culprit the first time, but keep in mind too that Ware missed that game with a leg injury...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Our defense was the culprit the first time, but keep in mind too that Ware missed that game with a leg injury...

Defense has been the bigger issue recently too. Each of the last 4 games our opponent has score more than 1.1 points per possession, which essentially means our offense would need to score 75-80 points just to have a shot to win in a normal tempo game.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe that shows only having one big helps our offense and opens up the court.

Do I dare add this again? Nothing we have seen to date suggests they can win this game. 

I want IU to win. I despise Wisconsin. Why? Because Wisconsin plays to their strengths. Their system is geared towards getting a good shot. Their defense is not great but follows basic fundamentals. In other words, they try to do what they do well and let the other team beat themselves.

They are the exact opposite of IU and it shows up in wins and losses.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I’d rather see her out of a Wisconsin sweatshirt. :coffee:

I won’t say anything more so 5fouls doesn’t get too revved up. I think his restraining order is still in place. 

I still cant believe they gave him parole after that little... ( cough) ordeal last time...