How to rebuild- roster construction and strategy

I woke up thinking about this.  The intention is how to rebuild, not who is the coach, ok?  However I do understand that will make a difference.   Get a new coach, expect at least 1 guy to follow from that previous school,  maybe more.  

How to hit this portal?  Clearly the need is guards and one more big. Do you go best player available or target guys with specific skills and characteristics?

Can we get another late highly touted freshman decommit?  I know we have so many question marks that it's hard to answer.  

Also have to factor rerecruiting your own guys.  Who do you ask back?  Do you want an Indiana kid, going to be a junior, in Gunn.  Looking like Banks is out.  And Gunn has been getting more minutes.  Is Cupps even a high level B1G player?  And the word is Leal is done with ball.  

Guards in the portal who have skill and also fit a particular system. 

Shooters - plural

Try to find another freshman or two who will be pieces that grow and contribute over time.  We can't fall into a cycle of needing a ton of guys from the portal every year. 

I'd have anyone back who was interested outside of Gunn and Banks.  I'm assuming Ware is gone.  

For now, I'll make some assumptions.  

Cupps, Galloway, Reneau and Sparks are back.

Other than that no clue.  I even give it a 50/50 that one of those 4 are gone.  

I'd ask Leal to give it one more run.  And I wonder, what's the point of bringing in new freshman if we run them off once they finish up their sophomore year.  I'd be OK with Gunn coming back.  I think with the right system he could actually thrive as a guy off the bench.  He has to accept his role however and lean into the coaching.  Stop with the 18 foot jumpers.  

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

For now, I'll make some assumptions.  

Cupps, Galloway, Reneau and Sparks are back.

Other than that no clue.  I even give it a 50/50 that one of those 4 are gone.  

I'd ask Leal to give it one more run.  And I wonder, what's the point of bringing in new freshman if we run them off once they finish up their sophomore year.  I'd be OK with Gunn coming back.  I think with the right system he could actually thrive as a guy off the bench.  He has to accept his role however and lean into the coaching.  Stop with the 18 foot jumpers.  

Gunn is a tough case. I see the points you make and don’t disagree. I know we don’t want to turn this into another coaching thread but I can’t say this any other way with Gunn, if Woody comes back he should move on, if there is a change let’s see what he does with the new coach. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Gunn is a tough case. I see the points you make and don’t disagree. I know we don’t want to turn this into another coaching thread but I can’t say this any other way with Gunn, if Woody comes back he should move on, if there is a change let’s see what he does with the new coach. 

Yeah, I'd like to see it.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I woke up thinking about this.  The intention is how to rebuild, not who is the coach, ok?  However I do understand that will make a difference.   Get a new coach, expect at least 1 guy to follow from that previous school,  maybe more.  

How to hit this portal?  Clearly the need is guards and one more big. Do you go best player available or target guys with specific skills and characteristics?

Can we get another late highly touted freshman decommit?  I know we have so many question marks that it's hard to answer.  

Also have to factor rerecruiting your own guys.  Who do you ask back?  Do you want an Indiana kid, going to be a junior, in Gunn.  Looking like Banks is out.  And Gunn has been getting more minutes.  Is Cupps even a high level B1G player?  And the word is Leal is done with ball.  

All of the above. 

Just curious what the coaches do all summer?  Are they scouting AAU games or just getting a list from Adidas?

Are they watching mid major games of portal players or checking lists from street agents?

Hard to believe with thousands of options they didn’t find one guard to compete for minutes?

Is this what Fife was doing?

Hs offered Colvin and got reprimanded 

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

This all changes with the statement...depends who the coach is. new or same. depends WHO. You can't ask any of your questions or have them solved without the who is. i know you didnt want that in but it doesnt matter until you know.

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

This all changes with the statement...depends who the coach is. new or same. depends WHO. You can't ask any of your questions or have them solved without the who is. i know you didnt want that in but it doesnt matter until you know.

Well sadly it's a rebuild either way.  How sad

My original thought was with how lacking we are do we take best player available and hole for the best?  I was looking at some of the statistical leaders in the country.  2 guys in the top 10 of 3 pt % are averaging 9 points a game.  Same for assists leaders.  I know we need scoring in a bad way.  One of the top scorers in the nation, also shoots 29% from three.  

I'm almost of the notion,  bring in talent and let them figure it out.  Just has to be spread out across the floor.  

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Didn't know how prophetic this would be.  

If we truly have 6 mil, some say even more.  How much you giving Ware if he would entertain it?  Who you keeping and how would you spend your money?  You're the gm.

just can't imagine it.  

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2024/01/25/what-theyre-saying-a-look-at-the-current-nba-draft-stock-of-kelel-ware/

Let's just call it 20th give or take.  20th pick is 15.5 over 4 years.  10th is 24 over 4.  Will he bet on himself with a 2-3 million nil carrot dangled in his face?

I'm not sure why we would want to run back the exact same team given how ugly this one has played at times at both ends. I think it's clear that while Ware and Reneau are both individually talented, they aren't a championship duo given their imperfect fit together. So if Ware comes back, I think you'd need Reneau to look elsewhere if you hope to improve the outlook considerably.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Didn't know how prophetic this would be.  

If we truly have 6 mil, some say even more.  How much you giving Ware if he would entertain it?  Who you keeping and how would you spend your money?  You're the gm.

He should be gone…if he can get drafted go now…only things can go wrong for him by staying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

I'm not sure why we would want to run back the exact same team given how ugly this one has played at times at both ends. I think it's clear that while Ware and Reneau are both individually talented, they aren't a championship duo given their imperfect fit together. So if Ware comes back, I think you'd need Reneau to look elsewhere if you hope to improve the outlook considerably.

I agree and I would rather have Ware back but that won't happen 

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

How many openings will we have. Trey, Leal, Walker, XJ graduating…Ware/Mgbako likely nba…open scholly makes 7 gone minimum…leaving 5 left and Banks, Gunn very likely to transfer…wow Woodson has work to do.

Mgbako is not even in consideration for the nba this year. He’s either back or transferring.

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Mgbako is not even in consideration for the nba this year. He’s either back or transferring.

He could decide to go G League and get paid to develop.  I don't think he will.  Its more likely he would transfer than do that.  More than likely, he is back and out best player on next years team.  He has been pretty good all year, other than defense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

His desire to be OAD was stated from the start. I’d put money on him going late second as a prospect or taking a g league contract. Could be wrong but that’s how I felt coming into the season and that’s what I still think now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

His desire to be OAD was stated from the start. I’d put money on him going late second as a prospect or taking a g league contract. Could be wrong but that’s how I felt coming into the season and that’s what I still think now. 

He won’t be drafted if he goes, and I feel very confident saying that - unless he puts up some crazy numbers in the BTT. He’s not on any draft board, or even top 100s. Sure, he could declare and go undrafted, but I don’t think that’s likely.

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He could decide to go G League and get paid to develop.  I don't think he will.  Its more likely he would transfer than do that.  More than likely, he is back and out best player on next years team.  He has been pretty good all year, other than defense. 

I’d imagine the G league would be a paycut vs what he’d get in NIL. Agreed with everything else.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kdug said:

He won’t be drafted if he goes, and I feel very confident saying that - unless he puts up some crazy numbers in the BTT. He’s not on any draft board, or even top 100s. Sure, he could declare and go undrafted, but I don’t think that’s likely.

I think those draft boards are not too accurate. Second round I see lots of kids that aren’t on the draft boards make it…but it’s a possibility. I don’t know if he stays though…we weren’t his first choice for a reason and nothing with how I’ve seen Woodson use him suggests he is going to benefit from staying as opposed to playing somewhere with better players surrounding him making the game easier for him. Similar how Liam didn’t want to come. There is no Calvary coming no reinforcements to make the game easier to showcase your talents. Everything comes very difficult for Mgbako and would have been same for Liam too.