How to rebuild- roster construction and strategy

26 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I hope we get multiple guards who can all do multiple things.  I don't want one guard who is our designated "shooter" and one who is our designated "ball handler."  We need some interchangeable pieces in the backcourt.  

I want a duplicate of that Baylor team that won the natty a few years ago.  Those guards were really good! 

Nothing like wishing your team was like a totally different team.  

Edited by Common Sense
  • Like 3

I think Ware goes in the top half of the first round. If I'm his agent, I'm telling everyone you don't want to make a TJD mistake...

I see a core of Cupps, Leal, Gallo, Malik, and Sparks coming back. Ware, X, Walker and Banks 100% gone IMO. If Gunn wants to stay, I wouldn't run him off.

They key to me is retaining Mgbako. He needs another year. Hopefully next year he can be the centerpiece. Throw the $ at him. Then hope he figures out effort and defense.

Need a developmental big a starting quality shooting guard and a quick penetrating PG and I think we could do ok next year.

• Like 8

IMO…It all starts with the PG and they can’t F around. 

The staff needs to pull in a good, dependable, PG as early as possible. Without a guard capable of running the offense, the staff will have a hard time pulling in the other pieces.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He could decide to go G League and get paid to develop.  I don't think he will.  Its more likely he would transfer than do that.  More than likely, he is back and out best player on next years team.  He has been pretty good all year, other than defense. 

Btw, i see that JHS is now in G league.   

I agree that PG is top issue.  Lets get a proven consistent guy and backup with at least two years resume.   A LEADER.    Then, hope mbako is back.  The guy has a pretty shot.   A big with strong fundamentals would be nice.  Box out, protect ball and high I Q.  Knows how to quickly pop out as needed.   Above average passing skills.    Go Hoosiers 

• Like 2

Now that the crap show is over, no I'm not talking about the Woodson coaching era, just this season, I'm ready to talk about cleaning house.  I'll start at the top.  Malik doesn't play winning ball.  Doesn't fight for rebounds or hustle.  I'm willing to give Mbako one more try but has anyone ever witness that kid sprint down the court on defense?  Nope.  Me neither.  

I'm sure Malik is back but he will lead to the exact same disappointing results unless he is coached and looks hard in the mirror.

So we likely start with a base of Malik, Galloway, and Leal.  Probably Sparks and if rumors are true, no Cupps. Neither Sparks or Cupps are good enough to play more than 10 mins a game at this level anyways. 

Good luck Woodson.  Just retire, "MAN."  

• Like 1

Malik is still just a sophomore. Mgbako a freshman. Both have flaws in their game, sure, but part of the fun of college ball is watching guys improve year over year. Of course I want them back. I'm not giving up on underclassmen because they aren't yet fully actualized.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Malik is still just a sophomore. Mgbako a freshman. Both have flaws in their game, sure, but part of the fun of college ball is watching guys improve year over year. Of course I want them back. I'm not giving up on underclassmen because they aren't yet fully actualized.

There’s been minimal improvement from year to year under this staff.  JMHO

• Like 1

If half the team leaves. I think Dolson pulls the trigger soon. I know he said Woody is here next year. But he also knows if he leaves him here. The program is dead. You want that on your legacy as an AD. Time for Whitten to get rid of Buckner and Woodson. Give the reins back to Dolson. 

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Now that the crap show is over, no I'm not talking about the Woodson coaching era, just this season, I'm ready to talk about cleaning house.  I'll start at the top.  Malik doesn't play winning ball.  Doesn't fight for rebounds or hustle.  I'm willing to give Mbako one more try but has anyone ever witness that kid sprint down the court on defense?  Nope.  Me neither.  

I'm sure Malik is back but he will lead to the exact same disappointing results unless he is coached and looks hard in the mirror.

So we likely start with a base of Malik, Galloway, and Leal.  Probably Sparks and if rumors are true, no Cupps. Neither Sparks or Cupps are good enough to play more than 10 mins a game at this level anyways. 

Good luck Woodson.  Just retire, "MAN."  

Are there legit strong rumors out there about Cupps?

26 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Personally, I’d hate to see Cupps leave. He’ll end up being a very good 4 yr player.

I don't know if cupps leave.  He was never going to play NBA ball.  But making 2mil a year at IU for 4 years sets him up pretty well for the rest of his life.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

There’s been minimal improvement from year to year under this staff.  JMHO

people keep saying how TJD improved.  sure he did.  he became better at what he was already doing.  didn't develop an outside shot or anything new.  people say JHS.  dude was already a stud.  Woodson wasn't playing him at PG, but when he was forced to, JHS showed out.  people say Reneau.  was he really any different or just got the chance to start and get a lot of touches?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

people keep saying how TJD improved.  sure he did.  he became better at what he was already doing.  didn't develop an outside shot or anything new.  people say JHS.  dude was already a stud.  Woodson wasn't playing him at PG, but when he was forced to, JHS showed out.  people say Reneau.  was he really any different or just got the chance to start and get a lot of touches?  

Oh man. Prepare yourself 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Assuming Ware is a lottery pick, there isn’t a single guy on the team I would lose sleep over if they left. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Nobody we have is any more than a role player on a good team. We’re losing the only difference maker to the draft. 

burn it to the ground, 13 new from the portal. fire Woodson next season. burn it down again for the next coach. 2025 kids are long gone. woody deadman walking one foot on the sideline, one foot in retirement. McNeely saw it.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Playing fantasy GM just for fun and discussion.  Assuming $6 million in NIL and that Mgbako returns, I took a (very) wild guess at how minute distribution and NIL could look for next year.  I don't know how close to reality this could be, but it kind of helps to see something visually.

image.png.fed8441a7578c645150010520e945ce2.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NAHoosier62 said:

Playing fantasy GM just for fun and discussion.  Assuming $6 million in NIL and that Mgbako returns, I took a (very) wild guess at how minute distribution and NIL could look for next year.  I don't know how close to reality this could be, but it kind of helps to see something visually.

image.png.fed8441a7578c645150010520e945ce2.png

If you believe some reports, Leal is making $150k and everyone is making at least $100k. 

• Like 2