Maryland II Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Sunday, March 3rd 2:00 PM EST

Where: Infinity Center, College Park, Md

TV: CBS

Our Hoosiers invade the Infinity Center for our 2nd meeting with the Terps. Maryland (15-13 and 7-10 in Big 10 play) is 2-5 in their last 7, and have a home game tonight versus Northwestern. Kevin Willard 37-26 overall and 18-19 in Big 10 play) is in his 2nd year.

image.png.12443892581c1d683107ad2270c9b661.png

image.png.e5eaee3e12a07f07d8ff36bfe1be1a3a.png

image.png.e98cfaed638f515d95edb0eb014191a8.png

image.png.5a72f412c9bc4154f404895dd607f306.png

The Terps are led by the trio of 6'2 senior transfer (Charlotte) Jamir Young (21 ppg, 4 apg, 35% from 3), 6'7 senior Donta Scott 12 ppg, 34% from 3), and 6'9 junior Julian Reese (14 ppg, 10 rpg). 6'5 freshman Deshawn Harris-Smith (7 ppg 17% from 3) and 6'6 senior transfer Jordan Geronimo (6 ppg  4 rpg) round out the starting 5. 6'5 senior transfer (Seton Hall) Jahari Long sees big minutes off the bench, as does 6'6 freshman Jamie Kaiser. 6'11 sophomore Caelum Swinton-Rodger and 6'11 sophomore Mady Traore provide frount court depth.

Our first game with the Terps was way back on December 1st, and was the Big 10 opener for both teams. IU won convincingly in one of our best games 65-53. IU held Maryland to 37% shooting overall, and 13% from 3. Reese and Young combined for 34 points, but Donta Scott had his worst game of the year with only 2, while Jordan Geronimo was held scoreless in 27 minutes. Jahari Long did come off the bench for 8 points.

IU had 4 of our 5 starters in double figures with Kel'el Ware's 18 points and 14 boards leading the way. We out rebounded them 42-29.

I think we match up well with this team. Reese is a good player, but they lack front court depth. XJ did not play in the first game. Maryland is not as formidable as they were last year at home, sitting at 4-4 at the Infinity Center this year in Big 10 play. Good FT shooting team, but only 29% from 3 which is dead last in the Big 10.

Would be a good road win for our young Hoosiers, and our confidence has to be high. Let's play good defense, get it in to our bigs, and come out with the victory.

GO HOOSIERS!

• Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Stop ball penetration….limit 3pt difference to 12pts or under. I think that is it. If we can’t stop the ball and keep it in front of us…they will carve us up.

They're the worst 3 point shooting team in the league (29%) and are 1-14 (7%) tonight against a short handed (Langborg out) Northwestern team ... 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They're the worst 3 point shooting team in the league (29%) and are 1-14 (7%) tonight against a short handed (Langborg out) Northwestern team ... 

I know…but they don’t play against our defense 30 games a year…if they did they wouldn’t be so bad at 3s. That said the main point of emphasis is stop ball penetration…if they break us down off the dribble…we will be in for a long night.

35 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know…but they don’t play against our defense 30 games a year…if they did they wouldn’t be so bad at 3s. That said the main point of emphasis is stop ball penetration…if they break us down off the dribble…we will be in for a long night.

I hear you... But they'd have to look waaaay better than they did tonight... Lost 68-61 at home to the Wildcats...

Chris Collins is a damn good coach...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hear you... But they'd have to look waaaay better than they did tonight... Lost 68-61 at home to the Wildcats...

Chris Collins is a damn good coach...

So your saying they are due lol…kinda like us with Wisconsin.

Just now, dgambill said:

So your saying they are due lol…kinda like us with Wisconsin.

🙂

We do match up really well with them. Kel'el and Malik should have good games...

If XJ just worries about guarding Young I think we're in good shape... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

🙂

We do match up really well with them. Kel'el and Malik should have good games...

If XJ just worries about guarding Young I think we're in good shape... 

young is the problem…given our history for keeping guards like him in front of us…once that first line of defense breaks down it is all down hill from there. I agree it’s a good matchup. Scott didn’t play well first game but yes Young and Scott matchups worry me given our history.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

young is the problem…given our history for keeping guards like him in front of us…once that first line of defense breaks down it is all down hill from there. I agree it’s a good matchup. Scott didn’t play well first game but yes Young and Scott matchups worry me given our history.

Leal playing great D once he gets in the game, put him on one of them.

Defense and rebounding.

If IU wants to win this game (any game) and have hope of a potential run in the conf tourney, they have to become a defensive brick wall and a rebounding force.

Mindset change. Focus change. Tempo change. Lineup change. Whatever it takes. The goal has to be holding their opponent to 60 points. That's really their best chance when you can't count on your own shooting and scoring.

X is back. He may not score but he has to defend. Trey has to be Trey. The bigs have to defend and limit their fouls. Everyone has to rebound.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2024 at 8:01 PM, IUFLA said:

I hate to be that guy, but it wouldn't surprise me that their 3 pt. shooting % goes up vs. us Sunday..... 

image.png.4c613d02c82416c870742cb36fcfb8c3.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Defense and rebounding.

If IU wants to win this game (any game) and have hope of a potential run in the conf tourney, they have to become a defensive brick wall and a rebounding force.

Mindset change. Focus change. Tempo change. Lineup change. Whatever it takes. The goal has to be holding their opponent to 60 points. That's really their best chance when you can't count on your own shooting and scoring.

X is back. He may not score but he has to defend. Trey has to be Trey. The bigs have to defend and limit their fouls. Everyone has to rebound.

But somebody has to make 3s for us to win!