Minnesota II Pre-Game Thread

When: Wednesday, March 6th 9:00 PM EST

Where: Williams Arena (The Barn), Minneapolis, Minnesota

TV: BTN

2nd year coach Ben Johnson (40-50 overall 15-42 in Big 10 play) leads his Gophers (18-11 9-9) into a game with our Hoosiers in the venerable Barn, a notoriously difficult place to play. Minnesota comes in losers of 2 of their last 3, but are 7-2 at home, and have won 5 straight in Williams Arena.

image.png.90b746fdecf435d69de2346f70fa592f.png

image.png.a93595ce554bd81b5162d80b032ebc59.png

image.png.a58e44a107cbb90e8cf462da20993ef2.png

The Gophers are led by 6'11 senior transfer (North Carolina) Dawson Garcia. The versatile big man can post up, or drift outside and hit the 3, although his outside shooting hasn't been spectacular. Freshman Cam Christie, who is a lock to make the Big 10 All-Freshman team, checks in at 12 ppg, and shoots 42% from 3 in league play. He also has a good mid-range game, but doesn't go to the basket all that often. 6'2 junior transfer (Pepperdine) Mike Mitchel (11 ppg 40% from 3) and 5'11 junior transfer (Howard) Elijah Hawkins (10 ppg 37% from 3 8 apg) make up the backcourt. Ben Johnson made a change to his starting lineup last game replacing Pharrel Payne at the 5 with senior Parker Fox. Fox is another of those high energy guys that comes in and makes plays. Fox is a great story suffering 2 ACL injuries in the past 2 years, but hanging with it. He does all of those "little things" that help teams win. If Johnson does stick with that lineup, then Payne will be one of the first off the bench. Another high energy player, who seemed to have lost a bit of that the last 2 games I watched of him. Still a formidable force around the rim on both ends. 6'4 sophomore Braeden Carrington had been getting good minutes off the bench, but was held out Saturday against Penn State with a concussion. His status is unknown. Joshua Ola-Joseph seems to have fallen out of favor with Johnson, but he's another high energy guy that can come off the bench and produce. Isaiah Ihnen also sees spot  minutes.

IU beat Minny at SSAH in January 74-62, holding the Gophers to 39% shooting overall and 15% from 3. Our frontcourt combined for 52 points, and we shot 6-14 from 3. We did give up 18 second chances via offensive boards, and were out rebounded overall 40-38.

The Barn is a tough place to play with the raised floor and the poor shooting sight lines. This will be a tough one to win, but we should be able to go inside with some success. In the first game, Gabe, who started and played 30 minutes, didn't score and had 4 boards, 1 assist, and 1 turnover. He did do a good job on Hawkins, holding him to 5 points.

Hopefully, we can continue our good play and pull out another road victory...Let's take it to them...

GO HOOSIERS!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Another chance to build/keep momentum rolling.  That's all we can ask for right now.  

I'm probably the only non Minnesota fan that feels this way, but I like the Barn.  I hate playing there because it has usually been a tough place to play, but I like those old arenas.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Another chance to build/keep momentum rolling.  That's all we can ask for right now.  

I'm probably the only non Minnesota fan that feels this way, but I like the Barn.  I hate playing there because it has usually been a tough place to play, but I like those old arenas.  

Did you ever attend a game there? 

I did on a couple of occasions when I lived up there, and boy was I under-whelmed. Lots of limited visibility seating. Bleachers thru out the entire barn. Raised floor (over a hockey rink) made most players uncomfortable to say the least. The only thing missing was some hay bales. Now that was 40 years ago, and I suspect they've done some sort of make over (read: lipstick on a pig). 

12 minutes ago, DWB said:

Did you ever attend a game there? 

I did on a couple of occasions when I lived up there, and boy was I under-whelmed. Lots of limited visibility seating. Bleachers thru out the entire barn. Raised floor (over a hockey rink) made most players uncomfortable to say the least. The only thing missing was some hay bales. Now that was 40 years ago, and I suspect they've done some sort of make over (read: lipstick on a pig). 

No, but I think it would be a neat place to attend a game.  

2 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Similar to Maryland ESPN stats not likening our odds.

IMG_2909.jpeg

Hey, we're getting better! Against Maryland we had an 18.4% chance! ;) 

And I cited the the 3 point stat simply because Williams Arena has notoriously bad sight lines for shooters...

Gotta pound it inside :) 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

No, but I think it would be a neat place to attend a game.  

You are right.  Way back to years when they had guys like McHale, Mychal Thompson, Dave Winfield, Archie Clarke, Bobby Jackson and Ray Williams, the place was packed and the noise was incredible.  Unlike AH,  the nosebleed section wasn't a huge distance away.  Fans were packed in and the volume was coming from all 4 directions.  Also, Coach Musselman knew how to put on a show for the home crowd. Lots of spirit.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

what stinks is this isn't a bad MN team right?  they've won 5 straight home games.  

Their freshman star, shooting guard Cam Christie, has helped make the team gel.  He was a 3-star recruit from Chicago area.  

On 3/4/2024 at 1:23 PM, IUFLA said:

Interesting stat of the day...

In Big 10 play, when IU shoots 16 3 pointers or more, our record is 2-7...When we shoot 15 or less, 6-3...

Just wondering....Are we shooting more than 16 3 pointers in those games because we are already getting smoked and trying to "shoot" our way back into ithe game?  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

Just wondering....Are we shooting more than 16 3 pointers in those games because we are already getting smoked and trying to "shoot" our way back into ithe game?  

Of the 9 games the following were blowouts; Purdue 2x, Nebraska 2x and Penn State. All of these were losses. I recall the bigs getting into foul trouble early on in those games. In those games the opponent shot 37%, 38%, 42%, 38% and 55%. The 3PA were 19, 21, 32, 33 and 22. I'd say that yes we were forced to shoot threes in the hopes of comeback. 

The other 4 at Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland (win), Iowa (win) were less than 10 points. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

It was more about the opponent. In the 6 wins the opponents were awful from three. All but one shot under 30%. IU didn’t have to match shots in those games. 

• Like 1

I've taken to watching the Assembly Call postgame streams lately, and Coach Tonsoni after the most recent win talked about how we are playing more freely the last couple of games. Part of that is playing more fluidly and naturally on offense rather than forcing the post on every single possession. I'd say that if that trend continues tonight, we have a fair chance to get a third consecutive win.

• Like 3