So you're telling me there's a chance? - Lloyd

I like Team Rankings. I posted this in another thread, but I do think they are more optimistic than reality in regards to our chances.

Bart Torvik's sim if you have us making a run to the BTT final, and give us a 10 spot jump in Torvik's overall rankings, puts us as the fifth team out of the tournament with around a 25% chance of making it, while Team Rankings gives us an 89% chance of making the tournament in that same situation.

It's a shame our metrics suck because we would already be in the conversation if we were top 70 in the NET.

i would really really like to be shocked with an NCAA bid this season.  now to be clear - when i saw this roster, i thought we could be a top 25 team, 20 + win team, and definitely in the tourney.  anyway, with the way this season has gone, i wrote that off a long time ago.  now that said, i am very worried about beating even Penn St. without Galloway.  not because i think he is a stud.  it's just who gets that role?  i mean i guess we start our wonderful leader XJ, Cupps, Taco, Reneau, Ware... then Leal and Walker off the bench?   

53 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Iowa last I saw was second last 4 out on ESPN.  IU is not even listed.  Win it all baby!  That’s the could be the only way, though a quad 1 win over Illinois would help.  If Galloway is out someone is going to have to be the catalyst of the offense.

The only other guy that comes close to Gallo's intensity (IMO) is Leal. And him starting will never happen with this coaching staff.

He shoots far better than Cupps, plays defense better than Cupps, rebounds, which Cupps only does when it hits him in the chest, and is a true leader on this team.

But hey...I'm just a life long fan of 50 years. What the hell could I possibly know?  :D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The Sycamores deserve a bid way before we do.  We're only getting in if we win the BTT.

Our chances of winning the first game will be tough without Galloway, let alone the whole thing. 
However, I think we could get in with 3 wins, (This is with a healthy Galloway) based on the selection committee taking team injuries into consideration. 
JMO

GO IU

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

The Sycamores deserve a bid way before we do.  We're only getting in if we win the BTT.

I’m seeing that they played two power teams and got waxed both times. That’s a lot of wins, so I won’t complain if they get in, but I don’t know about them deserving a bid way before we do.

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

If we win two games in the tournament we should get in. ISU should not even be in question. When the “ experts” are saying MST is in win or lose? Such bullshit! 

Doesn’t matter that MSU beat them by double digits? Or that the only other power team they played beat them by 20?

I wish there was a what if scenario with rankings based up others winning or losing that we could see. Long way to go but I have to believe if we can go on a run....besides Penn St, beating Nebraska and Illinois would give us 2 more Quad 1 wins I think. We would have 5 along with Illinois but my biggest complaint would be Sparty has only 3.

I just can't believe if we had 5 to their 3 and were on a 7 game winning streak that doesn't get us in the final 4 in conversation. 

I don't get the MSU and IU have the same qualifications,  we have the same record and Quad wins.  I assume there are multiple teams with the same wins qualification.  We all know it comes down to how you win.  Who you beat and by how much.  Also how badly you get beat by those Quad losses.  And we all know we have way to many double digit losses on the season.  It's why we're ranked so low in the net.  It's really not hard to control that.  Don;t get your ass handed to you.  And hand bad teams their asses.  We did neither this year.  We are what we are, even if we have won some late season game. Had those wins been by 15+ points for 4 games in a row, i assume we would be in the picture.  But we didn't.  If we don't make it, it is completely our own fault for not handling business.  Do better next year and not be in this position.  

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I wish there was a what if scenario with rankings based up others winning or losing that we could see. Long way to go but I have to believe if we can go on a run....besides Penn St, beating Nebraska and Illinois would give us 2 more Quad 1 wins I think. We would have 5 along with Illinois but my biggest complaint would be Sparty has only 3.

I just can't believe if we had 5 to their 3 and were on a 7 game winning streak that doesn't get us in the final 4 in conversation. 

If we were to win both Thursday and Friday, the worst thing that could happen to us is Illinois losing on Friday.  There isnt another needle moving victory out there before the Championship game.

I really dislike the conference tournaments. About nothing but money.  If they really want to give everyone deserving another chance. Drop all the conference tournaments and and give the top 100 teams a bid to the big dance. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I really dislike the conference tournaments. About nothing but money.  If they really want to give everyone deserving another chance. Drop all the conference tournaments and and give the top 100 teams a bid to the big dance. 

The conference tournament gives every team a chance to make the tournament 

16 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Take the top 100 and every team that deserves to go. Gets a bid. 

100 teams don't deserve to get in. Look at the bubble teams now and the don't scream tournament teams. Go back to 64 and get rid of the stupid at in games. They just  did this to give more mediocre teams from power conferences to get into the tournament.

• Like 1