2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't think Malik is a "low post" offense guy, I think there are multiple facets to his game, especially moving forward.. Ballo doesn't get his points in the same way that Ware did. I also only see those two playing 30mpg tops.. still ways to have multiple lineups throughout the game. 

Conwell, playing in the MVC, is more proven than Rice, the Pac 12 FR of the year? Ehhh. 

Furthermore, Carlyle's FR numbers, against significantly better competition dwarfed Conwell's FR numbers. 

I agree! You don’t have to finish the way you started. Also I actually think it would be smart to start Reneau outside three point line… have him back his guy down and then either make a move around him which is a big strength of his or skip pass to opposite side to a shooter. Reneau is actually a very good passer and Woody did that with TJD a lot his senior year.

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

I agree! You don’t have to finish the way you started. Also I actually think it would be smart to start Reneau outside three point line… have him back his guy down and then either make a move around him which is a big strength of his or skip pass to opposite side to a shooter. Reneau is actually a very good passer and Woody did that with TJD a lot his senior year.

when has Reneau ever passed in his life? dude is a black hole with no position.

• Like 2

One thing I like to look at with young players who don’t jump out with their 3 point percentage is FT%. That’s usually a good indicator on shooting potential.

Rice shot 81% while Carlyle shot 78% from the line. There have been enough bad shooting IU teams recently for me to be at the see it to believe it phase for shooting. But I can certainly see how it could work with those two if their FT% is any indication of the quality of their shot.

Also, Malik actually shot more threes than Ware last year in a similar number of minutes. I think he needs to continue to improve there, but he at least was willing to take them and hit them at an ok clip.

I definitely understand the skepticism on shooting. But at least we appear to be adding guards this year unlike last year. That alone is an improvement.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Maybe, I'm misunderstanding, but Malik scored a vast majority of his points last year in the low post. Yes, he can step out and hit a 3 once in a while, but I don't get why you don't think he's not a low post guy. 

You're right that Ballo doesn't get points like Ware. Ware spreads the floor a bit more and can play facing the basket.

To me, Malik and Ballo are 2 back to the basket low post guys. Yes, we potentially will improve our backcourt, but once again,  how are we not limiting the guards effectiveness if the lane is too packed to drive? Just like JHS, they're going to have to create for themselves with low percentage 2's and make those open 3's. BUT without the threat to drive, the defenders can play up in their face and go over screens, thus, making those low percentage shots even harder. (lowering the percentage of low percentage shots....haha). Although JHS could drive the ball, he wasn't really effective at doing it with TJD and Race on the court at the same time. And arguably, TJD and Race spread the floor just as much as Ballo and Malik would. 

I like how we are trying to talk ourselves into believing versatile athletic guards that aren't great 3 point shooters can make a huge difference, - that more ball movement and spacing will somehow materialize, but if we are going to jam the lane once again with 2 back to the basket post players, we need high percentage catch and shoot guys. That's how PU does it. That's how UConn does it. If we don't, then for the 4th year in a row our opponents will simply just pack the paint and dare us to shoot the 3. 

What am I missing here? 

I also think ware and ballo would start in the paint in different spots. Ballo more on the low block and ware more in middle of paint. Ware wasn’t a back you down and power you. He was all about length.

13 minutes ago, Kdug said:

One thing I like to look at with young players who don’t jump out with their 3 point percentage is FT%. That’s usually a good indicator on shooting potential.

Rice shot 81% while Carlyle shot 78% from the line.

We'll fix that. They'll be at Ballo numbers in no time.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

3 of the top 16 transfers and a McDAA.....well Woodson and staff, we can't say you don't acquire talent well. 

And the roster construction appears to be rounding into form, just need some shooters!

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I said it in another post but I'm really not sure how all that works. 

It's a US student visa issue. Your income earned in the U.S. is limited for student visas. That's why Purdue went to Canada last year for Edey, and Kentucky did something similar (Caribbean?) for one of their guys a year or two before.

Edited by IUProfessor

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

when has Reneau ever passed in his life? dude is a black hole with no position.

I thought I remembered reports early his freshman year that he was extremely skilled passing out of the post. I'm assuming he's just doing what he's been coached to do.

Which is also why I don't find the volume of 3s that potential transfers shot elsewhere to be particularly important.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I thought I remembered reports early his freshman year that he was extremely skilled passing out of the post. I'm assuming he's just doing what he's been coaches to do.

Or maybe he’s thinking I’ve got a better chance to score then those guys hitting do from there so damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead lol.

• Like 3