2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

Adam Howard just posted a photo on Twitter(wont upload for some reason) of Ben Mathurin(Former Arizona player) and Nembhart(Former Gonzaga player) both sitting in the stands at an IU game.

Ballo played at Gonzaga before transferring to Zona this past year.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

This probably should go in a different thread but I'm not sure which one. The term "shooter" has come up a lot in this thread though so I'll post here. What are folks thinking with statements like "he's not a shooter" or "we need shooters"?

Are folks wanting/expecting someone like Hulls where the player has one job and that is to knock down 3's at a +40% with defense, rebounding, driving the ball, etc. being optional?

or

Are folks wanting/expecting someone like Mark Sears that shoots +50% from the field +40% from 3, +80% from the line and can also kill you off the dribble, play D and rebound?

or

Are folks wanting/expecting something in between?

I'm not making a case one way or the other for what "shooter" should mean here, I'm just trying to understand what other's are wanting/expecting.

I'm not diminishing the need for athletic guards who can create a shot for themselves and drive. Let's get these guys. If they can hit at a good rate from 3....even better. 

BUT if we have Ballo/Malik in the paint drawing doubles, not getting a high 30%/low 40% 3 point shooter (or two) to burn opponents for double teaming us in the paint will be a disappointment, IMO. I'm not saying this player(s) needs to be a starter, but one who is a capable defender and can give us quality minutes if our offense stalls. I love the idea of Hickman and Conwell. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Adam Howard just posted a photo on Twitter(wont upload for some reason) of Ben Mathurin(Former Arizona player) and Nembhart(Former Gonzaga player) both sitting in the stands at an IU game.

Ballo played at Gonzaga before transferring to Zona this past year.

Well, both those guys are part of the Pacers, so it isn't as though it was a long trip for them.

1 hour ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

This probably should go in a different thread but I'm not sure which one. The term "shooter" has come up a lot in this thread though so I'll post here. What are folks thinking with statements like "he's not a shooter" or "we need shooters"?

Are folks wanting/expecting someone like Hulls where the player has one job and that is to knock down 3's at a +40% with defense, rebounding, driving the ball, etc. being optional?

or

Are folks wanting/expecting someone like Mark Sears that shoots +50% from the field +40% from 3, +80% from the line and can also kill you off the dribble, play D and rebound?

or

Are folks wanting/expecting something in between?

I'm not making a case one way or the other for what "shooter" should mean here, I'm just trying to understand what other's are wanting/expecting.

To me a shooter is someone who can knock down threes at a 35%+ clip with volume - i.e. 3 or 4 three attempts per game. Basically someone defenses have to respect so they can’t just pack the paint. In my opinion, if you don’t have at least two guys (and ideally three or more) who can do that, spacing starts to become a major problem. Bad spacing makes every other facet more difficult on offense.

I’d prefer shooters who are multi-dimensional like Sears, but I wouldn’t expect anyone to put up those types of numbers or be that dynamic. If you go the Hulls sharpshooter route, they have to be more in the 40% to 45%+ range to make up for the lack of production in other areas.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I love Adam Howard lol 

Only second to Marni Mooney back in the day. All you had to do was see who she was following and you knew they were coming to IU. The Blackmon Jr was an all timer. She was the only person that still followed him and poof....

To keep it on topic though. Thanks again to the folks who share. If we add Carlyle or Conwell, with Ballo and Hickman, while bringing in Tucker to add to MR, MM, and TG....what a couple of weeks.

• Like 2