Kanaan Carlyle Commits to INDIANA!

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Now our starting unit is in intact I think we finish up with a backup 4 and 5. I know people will say we still need shooters but I think guys like Rice and Carlyle will take a step up next year. Hopefully Galloway can get back to where he was his junior year. I think he was asked to do touch last year and it caused his shooting percentage to go down. Also MM is a very good shooter who will only get better.

PG- Rice/Galloway/Cupps

2G- Carlyle/Newton

SF- MM/Tucker/Leal

PF- Reneau/?

C- Ballo/?

Unless someone is missing above, we have 3 left.

I would bet 2 backup bigs and a guard.  The backup PF and guard will likely be good outside shooters

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, btownqb said:

'From CRMK BT POY to NY Nicks level FU !!

There's a theme building ... I like it. 

Fire CMW.... crowd... scurry off now. He honored existing players who dawned the candy stripes, with pitchforks and teakie torches from fans. 

Now lets make that medium rare, cooked over Mesquite. We rollin !

• Like 3

Can someone explain Carlyle’s numbers from last year? Looking at them, they look pretty subpar. 32% from 3, 54% at the rim, 40% from mid range. More TOs per game than assists.

Was he just asked to do too much, not put in the best position, injury, all of the above? He seems to be pretty universally considered a top transfer, so I’m guessing there’s some explanation. Just trying to understand what his game will look like with the starting 5 we have next year.

7 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Can someone explain Carlyle’s numbers from last year? Looking at them, they look pretty subpar. 32% from 3, 54% at the rim, 40% from mid range. More TOs per game than assists.

Was he just asked to do too much, not put in the best position, injury, all of the above? He seems to be pretty universally considered a top transfer, so I’m guessing there’s some explanation. Just trying to understand what his game will look like with the starting 5 we have next year.

Well to contrast, some feel he's better than Sparks breaking the press last year, is what I am getting.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Kdug said:

He was a freshman 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He was a freshman 

If that’s the only explanation, that’d make me nervous. Freshman get better. But his Ortg was 91.7, which would’ve been better than CJ Gunn but worse than XJ last year. I’d have to think there’s a better explanation than that.

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

If that’s the only explanation, that’d make me nervous. Freshman get better. But his Ortg was 91.7, which would’ve been better than CJ Gunn but worse than XJ last year. I’d have to think there’s a better explanation than that.

With similar numbers, Mackenzie Mgbako was Co-Big 10 Freshman of the Year...

People act like experience doesn't matter...it does...a lot...

Carlyle, Rice, and Mgbako all have a year of college basketball under their belts, and they're physically more mature...they'll improve...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

He was a top reccruit, missed several games due to academic issues. 

He was a freshman point guard on a very bad team, in a power conference.

His percentages increasingly.got better as the season went on.  If you look at the game logs, you can see steady improvement and he was very good the 2nd half of the season. Including 31 against Washington St and 28 against Arizona, two really good teams.

Top 50 recruit with high level performance against strong competition, with little support from teammates.  

It's much more convoluted than looking at season total percentages. 

He is very very talented and showed growth throughout the season.

Very high upside.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

With similar numbers, Mackenzie Mgbako was Co-Big 10 Freshman of the Year...

People act like experience doesn't matter...it does...a lot...

Carlyle, Rice, and Mgbako all have a year of college basketball under their belts, and they're physically more mature...they'll improve...

Rice had a 104.8 Ortg for a tourney team, Mgbako was 104.9, Carlyle was 91.7. I wouldn’t say those are similar.

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

He was a top reccruit, missed several games due to academic issues. 

He was a freshman point guard on a very bad team, in a power conference.

His percentages increasingly.got better as the season went on.  If you look at the game logs, you can see steady improvement and he was very good the 2nd half of the season. Including 31 against Washington St and 28 against Arizona, two really good teams.

Top 50 recruit with high level performance against strong competition, with little support from teammates.  

It's much more convoluted than looking at season total percentages. 

He is very very talented and showed growth throughout the season.

Very high upside.

Thanks, this is helpful. Like I said, I assumed there’s something considering the general consensus of him being a top transfer.

Rice and Ballo’s stats were good and seemed to align more with how they were perceived, so those two are easier for me to see the fit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kdug said:

XJ was a sixth year senior. Kanaan was a freshman adjusting to the college level, and there's some evidence playing point for Stanford wasn't his best role. His scouting report describes an aggressive three level scorer, not a facilitator. He's also quite good in catch and shoot situations, per numbers posted by Assembly Call. Playing next to a true point in Myles Rice seems like it will fit him well. 

Freshmen take time, especially at the point. We think fondly of JHS because he had some big games for us, but his efficiency numbers weren't much better than Carlyle's. Kanaan had those games when he popped, too, before falling off over the last month. I can only imagine how the game would have slowed down for JHS in year two. Kanaan seems to have all the tools and the mindset needed to make a big leap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Rice had a 104.8 Ortg for a tourney team, Mgbako was 104.9, Carlyle was 91.7. I wouldn’t say those are similar

I only compared his numbers to Mgbako 's and they are similar in overall shooting percentage, 3 point shooting percentage, and points...

That's it...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I only compared his numbers to Mgbako 's and they are similar in overall shooting percentage, 3 point shooting percentage, and points...

That's it...

Got it, in that sense I agree. I was talking more overall offensive picture, not just shooting.

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

His percentages were much higher when taking good set/open shots.

He doesn't need to be taught how to shoot.  He needs to be better at deciding when to shoot.   The latter is much easier to fix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Kdug said:

I think they had him play with the ball in his hands to much. His catch and shoot percentage was really good. Also he shot 36% from 3 in conference play so he did improve that.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Kdug said:

Like others have said, I’m guessing it’s a combo of him being a Freshman and being on a bad team. I don’t disagree on the upside that he has and am glad to get him as a sophomore. However, I think some are projecting his impact next year to be a little greater than it will be. For fun, Tony Adragna created a minutes projection on his portal page for fans to fill out. Yesterday he had people share their minutes projections on twitter and many had KC between 25-30 minutes per game. Many are slotting in him into the starting line up too. He averaged 25 minutes on a pretty crappy Stanford team last year. 

IF he truly is capable of getting those minutes and making that big of an impact, then that is a great problem to have. I’m no professional scout, but after watching a few clips (that aren’t highlight films) he does not play great defense and the TO numbers aren’t great. Again, nothing he can’t clean up in his college career, but Woody has a short leash when it comes to defense and turnovers. 

Overall, good get. Great upside. Keep expectations in check. We still need another shooter or 2.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Like others have said, I’m guessing it’s a combo of him being a Freshman and being on a bad team. I don’t disagree on the upside that he has and am glad to get him as a sophomore. However, I think some are projecting his impact next year to be a little greater than it will be. For fun, Tony Adragna created a minutes projection on his portal page for fans to fill out. Yesterday he had people share their minutes projections on twitter and many had KC between 25-30 minutes per game. Many are slotting in him into the starting line up too. He averaged 25 minutes on a pretty crappy Stanford team last year. 

IF he truly is capable of getting those minutes and making that big of an impact, then that is a great problem to have. I’m no professional scout, but after watching a few clips (that aren’t highlight films) he does not play great defense and the TO numbers aren’t great. Again, nothing he can’t clean up in his college career, but Woody has a short leash when it comes to defense and turnovers. 

Overall, good get. Great upside. Keep expectations in check. We still need another shooter or 2.

Hater

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think this is a good way of putting it, and articulated my thinking better. He has significant upside, but not sure if it’s realistic to expect that upside to be fully realized next year.

Even just comparing Carlyle to Galloway, I’m not sure it’s guaranteed for him to be better than Galloway next year. I’d expect Carlyle to take a bigger jump going into his sophomore year than Galloway going into his 5th year. But I would take Galloway’s year over Carlyle’s year last season.

I feel like I fell into the trap last offseason of expecting everyone to hit their ceiling (like Gunn becoming a reliable shooter). I’m just trying to be more realistic this offseason.

14 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

'From CRMK BT POY to NY Nicks level FU !!

There's a theme building ... I like it. 

Fire CMW.... crowd... scurry off now. He honored existing players who dawned the candy stripes, with pitchforks and teakie torches from fans. 

Now lets make that medium rare, cooked over Mesquite. We rollin !

Same theme different year.  Let's make the tournament this year.